Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Cutting thicker card Help please

Hi I am using the silhouette studio software but with my craft robo - I am trying to cut some butterflys with some thicker than usual card - a double cut just wont do it so I thought if I copied and pasted in front it would then cut it again but thats not happening it does cut twice but not 3 or 4 times. I did suspect my blade was blunt and had ordered new blade which comes as a Silhouette blade - looks exactly the same but it just jams in my machine as soon as it has to change directions - any ideas on either blade or why it does not cut extra times
    Many thanks
    Helen

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Helenscot View Post
    Hi I am using the silhouette studio software but with my craft robo - I am trying to cut some butterflys with some thicker than usual card - a double cut just wont do it so I thought if I copied and pasted in front it would then cut it again but thats not happening it does cut twice but not 3 or 4 times. I did suspect my blade was blunt and had ordered new blade which comes as a Silhouette blade - looks exactly the same but it just jams in my machine as soon as it has to change directions - any ideas on either blade or why it does not cut extra times
    Many thanks
    Helen
    If you want more than 2 cuts, I would suggest you let it do a double cut then without taking it from the machine send it to do another double cut. The reason it probably won't do a double cut using the copy and paste method is because 1 line will lie on top of another so when you click the line to select it for cutting, you can only select the top most line. You could try selecting the lines to cut, then with them still selected click the short cut button to send them to the back, then select the lines again or use select all then choose 'cut'. It might be a bit hit and miss, but worth a try, you might want to do a test run using a pen and printer paper first to see if it work, before committing to good card.

As for the blade jamming, all I can suggest is you check that no bits of card have got stuck around the blade housing or the cutting strip, if it all looks clear. Do a quick test with a pen and printer paper to make sure that the blade housing is moving freely.

Also I don't know what number you have turned the ratchet blade up to, but anything over 4 is going to cause problems as these machines are not made to cut card over 230-250 gsm.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

Many thanks for that Lucille - I had looked on an online forum and it was suggested that because the new blades came without the housing it was in facing the wrong way (didnt realise that there was a wrong way) but was suggested that the fin shape should be at the front when putting it in housing and hey presto my new blade is working - cutting through on single cut - all is right with the world :-)
    Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply
    Helen

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Helenscot View Post
    Many thanks for that Lucille - I had looked on an online forum and it was suggested that because the new blades came without the housing it was in facing the wrong way (didnt realise that there was a wrong way) but was suggested that the fin shape should be at the front when putting it in housing and hey presto my new blade is working - cutting through on single cut - all is right with the world :-)
    Many thanks for taking the trouble to reply
    Helen
    There isn't a wrong way or right way to put spindles in, they rotate as the machine cuts so they just slot in, it's as simple as that.

As for the fin that depends on what machine you have, from memory if you have the fin facing front it cuts a very small fraction deeper, the machines I have it doesn't make any difference.

Dedicated Crafter
    View Gallery

I found that when cutting thicker card that it ws best to up the depth of the blade but lower the thickness and slow it down for instance I use setting 6 on the blade and thickness 26 and speed 3 it worked for me on 350gsm but I also find that fibrious card clogs the blade. Hope this is of some help to you
    Sandra

View Gallery

Sandra - Helen is using a CraftRobo not a Cameo if she increases the blade depth past 4 on a regular basis, she will eventually burn out the motor on the machine.

View Gallery

Many thanks for your info - I had bought 2 new blades from graphtec (spindle type) I tried both of them with the same effect - would cut straight line but would just stutter and do nothing if had to change direction - had them in and out so many times - I have now put them in the way suggested ( I didnt think there was a wrong way either) and they both work - Hurrah!!!!
    Thanks for for your help
    Helen x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

From my experience, the spindle itself does not rotate, only the blade. The piddle is locked in place.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Craftyjacjac View Post
    From my experience, the spindle itself does not rotate, only the blade. The piddle is locked in place.
    The spindle is the blade Just above the blade/spindle is a thick round piece of metal, the spindle rotates inside this.