Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Wishing I was in Austria Scrapping Parrot's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)

Olympic copyright

I design for an American company called Altered Pages, my next project for them is to be an Olympic book. I will be using their collage sheets but also wanted to use the Olympic rings and perhaps the logo and mascot. I didn't really think anything of it until I watched "Have I got news for you" Last week and they mentioned that everything Olympic was copyrighted to with in and inch of its life, even down to asking a cafe called the Olympic to change its name. So now I am slightly worried.
    The way it works is I make up the book, type up instructions and photograph the project. Then Altered Pages make up kits and sale them online from the USA. The last thing I want is to have copyright issues. Has anyone any idea how I stand. The rings would be cut out of card or patterned paper not an image but the logo and mascot would, I have downloaded a couple of copyright free images but am still a bit worried. Hope someone can advise me. Thanks.

Dedicated Scrapper Gadget Monkey's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    I would be very careful of the copyright issues..... here is one copyright issue I found... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...akes-logo.html. So I think it may be a no go especially as it will be used for commercial gain.

View Gallery

yep its a minefield .... we were warned a while back in Guiding for anybody producing challenge badges for the olympics. No rings, 2012 on badges is a bit iffy ... think Disney copyright but worse!

Caz

View Gallery

It's a definate no no from me too. I'm surprised that Altered Pages haven't instructed you on this though.

You say you've downloaded a copyright free image - there's a difference in this though. The image itself ( as a photograph) might be copyright free as far as the photographer is concerned but the subject of that image i.e the olympic 2012 logo is most definately not copyright free. Same goes for the mascot too. I'm really surprised that the photographer has taken an image of a copyright subject and offered it on the internet to be honest.
    Gwyneth

Blog

View Gallery

I am so pleased I asked, thanks for all the replies. I am not surprised Altered Pages didn't warn me! I can still use their vintage Olympic images but its such a shame I can't use the rings. Its all going a bit too far though I recon. They even said they were taping out names on things used in the building of the stadiums, like hand dryers and even toilets, that haven't paid to be a sponsor. I think they even said spectators would also have to apply tape to any names on clothing etc that also weren't sponsors!

Looks like I will have to re think another design team project but this one is just for the idea not for sale. Not being able to even use Olympic 2012, its going to be hard for all of us!

So many ideas, so little time .... Mole's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    You could double check with LOCOG just in case there's any latitude to be had?

http://www.london2012.com/

Member of the BLUE BRADS and SCRAP & TICKLE teams.
    http://molescreations.blogspot.com/

View Gallery

I think they even said spectators would also have to apply tape to any names on clothing etc that also weren't sponsors!
    That's just ridiculous, they would never be able to monitor it.

I wouldn't think there would be nothing wrong if you used something like Olympic Games London 2012 in your book or use buttons or something similar for the rings providing that they're not intertwined which is what makes them unique. There's no copyright on the words Olympic, Games or London as far as I know or a logo attached to them that is copyright to them.
    Gwyneth

Blog

So many ideas, so little time .... Mole's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I think they even said spectators would also have to apply tape to any names on clothing etc that also weren't sponsors!

No, this is rubbish, utterly unenforceable and probably illegal ...

Can you image the ticket people checking everyone's footwear, for example, looking for rogue logos?!!!! (Am conjuring up some great images in my mind's eye!)

The brand management is much more about protecting commercial interests and 'safeguarding' the sponsorship integrity for those who've invested in the Games.

Member of the BLUE BRADS and SCRAP & TICKLE teams.
    http://molescreations.blogspot.com/

View Gallery

I thought that was stupid too but apparently they did the same in Beijing at the last Olympics and are doing the same here. Why they have to cover up toilet makers too it's all beyond me!!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

oh well

They've pretty well got everything covered - which is why there seems to be a lot of vintage stuff around. I believe they've even managed to restrict use of the phrase 'London 2012' which could prove awkward for those of us living in London during 2012! (and paying extra Council Tax btw yet still not got a ticket .....).

It's a pity about the rings - but why anyone would want to use the revolting logo or the grotesque mascots on anything is a mystery to me. I hope you manage to find a way around it.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpangle View Post
    They've pretty well got everything covered - which is why there seems to be a lot of vintage stuff around. I believe they've even managed to restrict use of the phrase 'London 2012' which could prove awkward for those of us living in London during 2012! (and paying extra Council Tax btw yet still not got a ticket .....).

It's a pity about the rings - but why anyone would want to use the revolting logo or the grotesque mascots on anything is a mystery to me. I hope you manage to find a way around it.
    Having read this link I have a little more understanding of why they've protected the brand name of " London 2012". I didn't actually realize that " London 2012" had been branded. Most businesses will protect they're brand name as it's worth a lot of money to them.
    Restricting the use of the name isn't really going to impact much on ordinary Londoners though.
    http://www.london2012.com/about-us/o...-questions.php
    Gwyneth

Blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (60)
    There was an article on our local news about a school using the 5 rings logo on their school badge. They had changed the centre ring to something else, I can't remember what, and apparently that was OK.

View Gallery

Thanks Gwyneth for that link, very interesting and answered all my questions. So basically anything mentioning the Olympics, including the name, date, place, rings, logo, mascot, people in the Olympics and team GB can't be used or mentioned. I suppose if we want to be literal about it we shouldn't even be talking about it here! That is unless you give loads of money to them and become a sponsor......funny that!

I must admit I agree about the logo and the mascot. Good job they can't brand the union Jack or what would we all do for the Jubilee????

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    This came up in W.I. about a competition - can't remember the whole thing but you had to design something to do with the Olympics, without using the logo etc.