Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)

Blade Settings for Centura Pearl Card Please Anyone?

I am trying unsucessfully to cut Centura Pearl Card with my Cameo and no matter which setting I use it is tearing in the corners.

I am treating my replacement ratchet blade with kid gloves. Bought Air Duster spray from £ shop and sprayed the blade before I started.

Did the card depth test and started test cutting using 'abcd' with the font Cambria Math. Blade setting 4 and used all different pressures, some with double cuts. Did not cut all the way through and little tears in the corners. Changed blade setting to 5 and repeated started at pressure 20 then up to 28. I can cut it with one cut at 28 but still the tears in the corners. The bottom and top of the letters a, b and d. I can see them before I unload the mat, little bits of white showing.

So not to waste card for the test cuts I am using small pieces of the the Centura pearl card I bought in a little box when I first started papercrafting. Think they are for ATC's, can't remember why I bought them, probably the price £1.

Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - Fuschia's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I don't have a cameo so I'm only guessing.....maybe try going up to no.6 and reducing the pressure.

If this doesn't work then I would reverse my images and cut the card from the back, that way if you are matting and layering the little tears in the corners won't show. I know its not ideal but it may be a work around.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    That card is quite fiberous Neries... I would go setting 5 30
    MAKE SURE SPEED is 10
    Tina craft robo

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Fuschia View Post
    I don't have a cameo so I'm only guessing.....maybe try going up to no.6 and reducing the pressure.

If this doesn't work then I would reverse my images and cut the card from the back, that way if you are matting and layering the little tears in the corners won't show. I know its not ideal but it may be a work around.
    Thanks Anne. Late last night after I posted I tried reversing and it is better especially when I changed to my Robo blade, although that took a double cut. Trouble is I am trying to do the arched framed rose sympathy card in the template section by SylviaF for a friend who has just lost her mum. So to me every nick shows. It does not help that I want it in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by silverst170 View Post
    That card is quite fiberous Neries... I would go setting 5 30
    MAKE SURE SPEED is 10
    Thanks Tina. I did not reach 30 by the time I posted as at 28 it was marking my cutting mat.

I have cut one card but not happy with it and it took me ages with a pokey tool and knife to tidy it up.

View Gallery

Sorry Neries I went off for dinner...... The blade is too high then if cutting mat, I would say not good card to cut. Do you have old robo blade? maybe try that with that card
    Tina craft robo

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    Thanks Anne. Late last night after I posted I tried reversing and it is better especially when I changed to my Robo blade, although that took a double cut. Trouble is I am trying to do the arched framed rose sympathy card in the template section by SylviaF for a friend who has just lost her mum. So to me every nick shows. It does not help that I want it in a hurry.
    Glad the Robo blade worked better and with the card facing downwards, but its a shame that you still keep getting nicks taken out of it. As you say, it always happens when you are rushed for time too.

Hope you manage to get a good enough cut.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by silverst170 View Post
    Sorry Neries I went off for dinner...... The blade is too high then if cutting mat, I would say not good card to cut. Do you have old robo blade? maybe try that with that card
    Tina I tried my Robo blade last night and it looked ok on the test cuts, but then I wasted more card as it did not come off the cutting mat cleanly when I cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuschia View Post
    Glad the Robo blade worked better and with the card facing downwards, but its a shame that you still keep getting nicks taken out of it. As you say, it always happens when you are rushed for time too.

Hope you manage to get a good enough cut.
    No Anne I have not and just about given up on it after spending part of yesterday and today trying to get it right. Had a lot of senior moments and things went wrong. I tried a fairly new Robo cutting mat this afternoon, but it would not hold the card. Think I damaged my Robo blade a bit when the card moved. Taped the cutting mat up only to put it through my Xyron the wrong way. Spray Away cleaned it off, but then I did it again.

I tried smoothing out the template but it is very intricate so would take quite a while and would not be as good as the original with me messing with it. I had cut this template out on my Robo when Sylvia first posted it. I used the pearl card from Wilkies and it cut great then. Can't find any more of the card.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    Tina I tried my Robo blade last night and it looked ok on the test cuts, but then I wasted more card as it did not come off the cutting mat cleanly when I cut it.

No Anne I have not and just about given up on it after spending part of yesterday and today trying to get it right. Had a lot of senior moments and things went wrong. I tried a fairly new Robo cutting mat this afternoon, but it would not hold the card. Think I damaged my Robo blade a bit when the card moved. Taped the cutting mat up only to put it through my Xyron the wrong way. Spray Away cleaned it off, but then I did it again.

I tried smoothing out the template but it is very intricate so would take quite a while and would not be as good as the original with me messing with it. I had cut this template out on my Robo when Sylvia first posted it. I used the pearl card from Wilkies and it cut great then. Can't find any more of the card.

I also got this card Neries and found it ok to cut they have loads in my shop/near me. I believe it's new so maybe out of stock
    Tina craft robo

View Gallery

Sorry you haven't managed it yet Neries. May sound silly but have you checked that you haven't got any little bits stuck in the tip of the blade?

I always keep the speed of my cutting at 10 but maybe you could try reducing it to about 5 and see if that makes a difference, if that's still how it works on the Cameo.

All I can think of at the moment.

View Gallery

Thanks both for the help, but I ended up cutting it with thinner pearl card I found amongst my collection and the card is at last finished. It is some I had forgotten I had bought when I first started making cards from the Craft Superstore. It is not as heavy as Centura but it cut a heck of a lot easier. Although I did try and smooth out the nodes in the template before I sent it to cut.

I only have the Centura pearl as it came bundled with a Flower Fairies CD from the telly must be two years ago. I only started using it recently as a base card and this is the first time I tried to cut it with the Cameo.

View Gallery

I am quite new to die cutting, so thought the problem might be that this card is maybe unsuitable for my robo lite. I too had this problem with centura card, seemed to catch ever so slightly every corner of some text I was cutting, so gave up. It was very obvious as the card was dark in colour, so every little nick showed up white. Used ordinary card in the end.

View Gallery

Glad you got the card finished in the end Neries, I'm sure it still looks stunning.

I have centura pearl card and it only scores on the Robo, it will not cut through at all, so you're doing pretty well Liverbird if you can get it to cut using your Robolite.

Not a scrapper, a card and boxer.
    View Gallery

I have a silhouette and I can cut centura pearl too. You have to cut it twice and I never do anything intricate with it.