Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Help. Need to rescue Silhouette stuff from poorly laptop

My laptop has to be returned under guarantee, which means I will have to wipe the hard drive, so I am trying to learn how to do that. But in the meantime I am concerned about the Silhouette stuff on it which I would like to try to transfer, particularly a copy of Studio 1.9 I managed to save when I upgraded.

I used the laptop to download Studio designs from SA to keep them separate from my GSD designs on my main computer, and I know that at a pinch I can re-download them, but, I suspect I will not be able to replace the 1.9 version of Studio.

In fact I have not been able to use the 1.9 version since I upgraded, because when I click on it, it begins to go through the process of opening up but then it stops and a pop up tells me there is a later version, which it then opens.

I really would like to try to transfer the 1.9 to a replacement laptop and just use that, not a later version, but as yet I have had no luck. I have even tried sending it in an email, but I get a notice to say the file is too big.

Alternatively, if I uninstalled the later versions would the 1.9 version then be usable, and would the design downloads stay intact, or might I create other problems?

Can anyone offer help or advice please?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Burn it to a disc or drag it onto an external drive or usb pen drive/stick. You can download Dropbox ,(it's an online storage facility) install it on all your computers that can access the Internet and you can save up to 2Gb of stuff (files your Studio version 1.9 etc ) in there and you can access it from any computer you installed Dropbox on. You can have more than 2Gb but you have to pay for any storage above that.
    Last edited by DJG; 02-04-2012 at 12:18 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    If you want to use to versions of Studio you can do so with a little tweaking - do a Google search for run two versions of silhouette studio, for details.

If you can't re-download your library files for some reason, you can always try contacting Silhouette and explaining your situation. But also maybe read previous posts on here about backing them up as they are not stored in the same way as the gsd ones were, and/or do another web search for something along the lines of backup silhouette studio downloads; either of these should tell you where to find them.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I was going to give the same advice as Doreen. I save all my files on a USB stick and recently have signed up for Drop box and store my files there. Drop box is great because you can access it from any computer via the ineternet. It save me having to transfer my files from one computer to another.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thank you, DJG, dozyrosy, and cariad 1 for your great advice.

I’ve managed to save 1.9 on an external drive, and also found some info about running two versions on the same computer, but I think I will need to search further for a bit more detail.

Thanks also for the suggestions to back up the files. I do remember seeing this mentioned from time to time on here, and I’ve also found info on other sites too, but there was never enough urgency to prompt me to investigate further before now.

With regard to Dropbox, I’m a little wary about it and wonder how come it is available for free. Is it safe, who has access to it, and what happens if the provider goes bump? On the other hand it does seem to be a very convenient place to store Sil files.

I’ve always been a bit cautious about what I do online, and even more so when I read about so called reputable organisations losing ‘stuff’ they have allowed to be put on memory sticks etc. E.g. I’m not on Twitter or Facebook because they seem to want too much information for what they purport to be about, and is it Google who are now keeping tabs on and may even sell info about what people do on their computers, and even what items peope direct their pointers toward, let alone click on? And now the Government want to keep records of everybody’s communications - though what's the betting some people will be excluded!

Many thanks again.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by pesco View Post
    Thank you, DJG, dozyrosy, and cariad 1 for your great advice.

I’ve managed to save 1.9 on an external drive, and also found some info about running two versions on the same computer, but I think I will need to search further for a bit more detail.

Thanks also for the suggestions to back up the files. I do remember seeing this mentioned from time to time on here, and I’ve also found info on other sites too, but there was never enough urgency to prompt me to investigate further before now.

With regard to Dropbox, I’m a little wary about it and wonder how come it is available for free. Is it safe, who has access to it, and what happens if the provider goes bump? On the other hand it does seem to be a very convenient place to store Sil files.

I’ve always been a bit cautious about what I do online, and even more so when I read about so called reputable organisations losing ‘stuff’ they have allowed to be put on memory sticks etc. E.g. I’m not on Twitter or Facebook because they seem to want too much information for what they purport to be about, and is it Google who are now keeping tabs on and may even sell info about what people do on their computers, and even what items peope direct their pointers toward, let alone click on? And now the Government want to keep records of everybody’s communications - though what's the betting some people will be excluded!

Many thanks again.

It's only free for the first 2Gb. No one should have access to it unless you let them. I haven't put anything important on there just my Silhouette files or any software I've downloaded and want to put on my laptop and my desktop pc so it's easier to get at.
    Last edited by DJG; 03-04-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8 is the location of the library for the silhouette . you can save this on external drive, if you are on win 7 etc, it is program data\com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8, so you have a copy of your files

hope this helps