Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

re-newing cutting mats.

not a good title but, I have heard on the internet grapevine that you can re-new a cutting mat by spraying with repositoning glue. Has anyone tried this and if so, did you spray the card or that mat itself? I thought I'd read that you can spray the mat and it will remain sticky for a while but a friend has said that you should spray the card not the mat. Just wondered if a Robo user has done this.

Sorry if i'm going over old ground here, I don't use my robo much because the mats don't seem to last long and are expensive to replace - I may love him more if I can refresh him easily.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    Not a robo user but I have done it many times with my cricut mats. Make sure the mat is completely clean (I use the sticky stuff remover to get rid of any remaining glue) let it dry naturally. Then spray with repositionable glue (each person uses different ones to their fav - crafters companion, a quilting glue, the large zig glue pens) let the mat dry naturally, condition it with your hands by patting it all over (stops it being too sticky and tearing any paper on it) and voila!!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Spray the mat not the card. I use a cotton tea cloth to take away some of the stickiness. Just my opinion but if you use your hands any oil you may have on them would be transferred to the mat, everyone has a certain amount of oil on their hands, just think fingerprints

Dedicated Scrapper sugar n spice's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I always use to spray the mat, but I have sent the CR mat through a xyron machine with a repo cartridge in and found that to be the best option.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I washed my mat with washing-up liquid and a white sponge scourer. Left to dry. This revived it a few times.

Before you use a repro spray or put it through a Xyron. cover the edges of the mat with masking tape or such, otherwise glue on the rollers when you use it.

I found the Xyron repo glue the best and lasted months and months. Shame my Cameo mat is too big to go through.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    I washed my mat with washing-up liquid and a white sponge scourer. Left to dry. This revived it a few times.

Before you use a repro spray or put it through a Xyron. cover the edges of the mat with masking tape or such, otherwise glue on the rollers when you use it.

I found the Xyron repo glue the best and lasted months and months. Shame my Cameo mat is too big to go through.
    I have read that some people buy just the Xyron refill without the machine and use that

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    I have read that some people buy just the Xyron refill without the machine and use that
    Hmmmm I wonder how they do it??????

View Gallery

Hmmmm I wonder how they do it??????
    Wouldn't you just start at one end of the mat and roll the cartridge to the other end, just guessing here.

View Gallery

Wouldn't you just start at one end of the mat and roll the cartridge to the other end, just guessing here.
    Doreen not sure how it would work.

The cartridge has two rolls, one of paper with the glue on, the other film. As you roll it through it sandwiches your card between and the pressure puts the glue on one side of your card. I would think a messy job to just take just the glue one out to use it.

I tried once rolling through with no card, peeling off the film and pressing the other side to card and pressing down, but no glue was transferred.

View Gallery

Doreen not sure how it would work.

The cartridge has two rolls, one of paper with the glue on, the other film. As you roll it through it sandwiches your card between and the pressure puts the glue on one side of your card. I would think a messy job to just take just the glue one out to use it.

I tried once rolling through with no card, peeling off the film and pressing the other side to card and pressing down, but no glue was transferred.
    I have got a Xyron but think I'll stay with the spray glue or Anita's tack it over and over then

View Gallery

I have got a Xyron but think I'll stay with the spray glue or Anita's tack it over and over then
    I will stick with repo spray too Doreen.

That is unless someones knows of a hassle free way of doing it.

View Gallery

I found the xyron repo was too strong so am sticking to the sprays.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jenniec View Post
    I found the xyron repo was too strong so am sticking to the sprays.
    Jennie I thought that the first time I used my Robo mat after passing it through the Xyron. But after I dabbed it with a piece of smooth cloth it worked perfectly and lasted me months. I then just washed it and it is still sticky enough to us. I have used that Robo mat a few times with my Cameo.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Jennie I thought that the first time I used my Robo mat after passing it through the Xyron. But after I dabbed it with a piece of smooth cloth it worked perfectly and lasted me months. I then just washed it and it is still sticky enough to us. I have used that Robo mat a few times with my Cameo.
    I also love using the Xyron, especially for the home made mats, and I agree it lasts a long long time.
    Also instead of using masking tape for the edges, I use my craft knife to leave a bit of the backing paper on, instead of peeling it all off, I also leave a bit at the top and bottom as well, so the only place it is sticky is actually where the card or paper will go.
    Last edited by cattiegracie; 19-03-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: extra info
    Grace I'm getting there, 1 step at a time

View Gallery

thanks for all your replies - I still have the original edge strips for all my mats, always wondered why they were on there tbh lol so will make sure i keep them on before I spray.

one last question - when you 'remove the sticky before spraying', do you mean removing the original sticky too or just after using the repo spray? sorry if that seems dim! luckily i do have the removing spray - but only because i picked up the wrong tin in the shop