Adventure Awaits

by Mary Buttons

Weekly June 3.

by RED HEAD

Beautiful day

by scrapdolly

June week 2

by sharon1973

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

ATDML banner

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Thanks folks. I've ordered a copy and am looking forward to finally getting a peep at this popular book.

My two Christmas prezzie books have arrived but I'm not allowing myself to look at them until after Xmas day. I might wrap them up now to avoid temptation!
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (34)
    You will LOVE it!!
    Matchbox Swap

NT is not 'normal' it is just common! Wisher's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (187)
    I can't find it on amazon
    Swaps: unofficial found poetry (sent - waiting for return) Stocking swap (sent and received) Trading Coins (sent)
    Gill x

NT is not 'normal' it is just common! Wisher's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (187)
    Thanks for the messages - Irene and Claudia, I now know where to look

Xx
    Swaps: unofficial found poetry (sent - waiting for return) Stocking swap (sent and received) Trading Coins (sent)
    Gill x

Looking for a team that needs a new member! danemi1's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (63)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Lemon View Post
    Thanks folks. I've ordered a copy and am looking forward to finally getting a peep at this popular book.

My two Christmas prezzie books have arrived but I'm not allowing myself to look at them until after Xmas day. I might wrap them up now to avoid temptation!
    Oh exciting....let us know what you think
    Danemi1 aka Elaine
    my blog

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by irboo View Post
    You will LOVE it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by danemi1 View Post
    Oh exciting....let us know what you think
    So my copy of 'True Colors' has arrived. It's a nice book, packed with big colour photos featuring a good range of styles and techniques.

I'm going to be honest though - I'm not personally 'wowed' by it. It's old and I've got a lot of other art journaling books, so I've seen everything in it before (not necessarily the actual pages, but very similar pages by the same artists).

My taste is changing all the time and I'm always looking for something new, so to me personally this seems a bit dated, but it's definitely still a nice one to have on the shelf for a flick-though.
    Claudia

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (54)
    oh that's a pity, after all that buildup......I love it loads, but then I got it when it first came out pretty much so it knocked the breath out of me, and I didn't think it had aged that badly on repeated viewings. I think I probably do hold it on quite the pedestal though, that one and Alphabetica, as those two books kickstarted a creative life for me that had been completely dormant since childhood.
    Blog (warning, here be spoilers!) / Art Journals / Be-Stitched CJ

View Gallery

I think I'd have absolutely loved it if I'd bought it 5 years ago, before my other books.

I would still recommend it for someone new to art journaling. The actual work in it isn't dated - it would be amazing if you hadn't seen it before. It's just old hat to me because I have so many books of the same era, and they all feature similar work by the same few artists.
    Claudia

ohhhh i seee :) thanks Violaceous's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    I've just bought these:

Journal Sparks

Journal Sparks 2

Be warned I was expecting a normal sized book but they are very thin as the author has literally listed 300 questions and not discussed any of them in detail. The reviews weren't good for these books however I like to make my own mind up about these things so I went ahead anyway and I'm enjoying them at the moment. I shall give you a few examples of what's in it:

the first question in book 1 is:

The moral in Aesop's tale, The Frog and the Ox, is that self-conceit may lead to self-destruction. Do you have areas in your own life where you have taken on more than you can chew because you have over-estimated yourself?

Now to me that is a direct and challenging question which I imagine could leave some feeling uncomfortable. Lots of journaling is about happy, positive things so on the one hand I like the dive right in and ask away nature of the book - let's not start with the positive let's get right into the nitty gritty.

The final question, 300, is:

What do you think are the negative effects of an unhealthy interest in other people's troubles on your own life?

It covers subjects such as humour, failure, happiness, criticism, slander, evil, peace, financial inequality...

It seems the idea is to get you to think about things more deeply and give you food for thought. It's not necessarily for art journaling but for written journaling but I intend to use the concepts to create art journal pieces. One question is about imagining your life as a metaphor for driving with death being the destination and you are asked to consider what the scenery would look like. I like this as a visual concept.

Despite what other's have said I do find these books interesting and as I do a lot of personal development and have done for many years I like that they address your darker side and prompt you to think about vanity, compassion, dislike of others, your negative traits that may be holding you back as I find it therapeutic to journal my darker side as well as celebrate my light

So there you go

I'm wondering what prompts a person to put such questions in a book to sell as opposed to the many many people who will willingly blog journal prompts. What do you think?

Also since my earlier dismissal of 1000 art journal pages I've been inspired to give it another chance. I bought it when I first started and I was really looking for easy how to books but having given it another go I'm taking it slow and looking deeper into the pages and what's behind them rather than judging it immediately as good or bad which I was definitely guilty of doing. I think it's a book that I will be able to pick up for many years to come and see something different every time and be inspired - so thanks ladies

Pity about the true colours book I had thought of buying it but decided that I've got enough for now as I've got a folder full of inspiration I've taken from the web and magazines
    I'm Siān Swaps: Alternative Postcard Mixed Media ATC CJ's: Twisted Sisters!!! Team: Secret Swappers House: Blue Brads Pinterest: spiritofsian Crafty Blog: Life In The Sunshine Personal Blog: God's Milk Let us be lovely and let us be kind and let us be silly and free. It won't make us famous it won't make us rich but dammit how HAPPY we'll be. Edward Monkton

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (34)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Lemon View Post
    I think I'd have absolutely loved it if I'd bought it 5 years ago, before my other books.

I would still recommend it for someone new to art journaling. The actual work in it isn't dated - it would be amazing if you hadn't seen it before. It's just old hat to me because I have so many books of the same era, and they all feature similar work by the same few artists.
    Awwwwwww sos you weren't blown away but as you say it is a fab one to have on your bookshelf
    I do still love it,tho' I don,t have loads of art journal books,think my other fav is AlphaBetica,always feel inspired when I have a browse through that one.
    Matchbox Swap

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123