Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Thread: Some Questions

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Some Questions

Hello everyone

Just thought I'd introduce myself my names Katie and I'm VERY
    new to card making.
    Weekend just gone I won a box of someone's old card stock from there craft room just enough for a bit of a practice run.
    I've made four so far ( shall try and show you )

However I'm really interests in what other things I could purchase to make some cards that are as amazing as the ones you all do

I've been eyeing up cutting machines or die cuttin machines and wondered what you would all recommend pus anything else such as stamps or punches
    I'm limited as I've literally just bought a starter box so all help hints and tips appreciated

Appologise if this isn't the write section to write this

Thanks

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Wow, that's a big question!

I think you need to look at people's cards and decide which ones you really like. A manual die-cutting machine like the Big Shot or Cuttlebug will set you back 60 quid or so, and if you buy some nesting dies for example, you can make toppers for your cards. I think it's a good investment because you can get dies to cut so many different things, from butterflies and flowers to lace borders and clock faces.

I would recommend, though, that first of all you invest in a good trimmer. It's very time-consuming cutting mats and stuff by hand. And you'll need some adhesive - some sort of tape runner is ideal. You can get the little ones which take refills, although I always used to end up buying more 'bodies' because the refills weren't in stock! Eventually I bought an ATG and I now have two, one acid-free and one not. But that's another story, you can always search ATG in the forums later.

A pair of good scissors and some little foam pads are also useful for all sorts of card styles.

And you might like the idea of buying some character stamps, like Tilda or any of the hundreds of others out there. In which case you'll want something to colour them with!

So really, what you want to buy depends on what you want to make. And there's an awful lot of stuff out there!

Here are links to some blogs I follow where you'll see cards:

This one has lots of cards using stamps, inks and paints. Scroll down, they're interspersed with other stuff.

Lots of lovely cards on the Crafty Individuals blog - again, lots of stamping.

There are some gorgeous cards on here - not the sort of thing I make at all, but lovely to look at and they might be right up your street.

This lady is awesome all round - she makes lovely cards using digi papers and usually digi stamps, and everyone should bookmark her blog because she gives so much away, and posts amazing tutorials.

There are plenty of other styles of cardmaking you could look at - perhaps some other UKScrappers will point you in the right direction.

Happy crafting

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    You may well fine that you try many different types of ideas within cardmaking before you settle on your favourites. Whereabouts in Manchester are you as there are a few craft shops that hold classes so you can try before you buy.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks for the replys I appreciate it

I shall have a look into the blogs now thank you

I'm in Swinton do you know of any close by ?

I had an a4 3 in one blade trimmer
    Scissors including the patterned cuttin ones
    An a4 and a5 cuttin matt
    The roller glues The ones that look like tipex mouse
    Pencils
    Card A5 size mainly
    A book full of 6x6 patterned paper
    Tub of random embellishments
    Scoring board and embossing tool
    Mixed stamps
    Decorative chalk
    And 3 ink pads but wearing out
    Various punches

I won it for £10 so was really pleased its the tippers I want to get use to and the wording on cards too that's what I'm lookin to do next and thought a manual die cutter would be handy for now

Although I've got my eye on the cameo

where do you all tend to buy your items?
    Last edited by Heywood07; 09-02-2012 at 10:43 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Ooh, that's a good starter kit.

I tend to buy my items online. I have a craft shop nearby but they're not very organised. There are plenty of sponsors on here and it's not permitted to plug other suppliers on the forums. But I can tell you my favourites although I buy mostly scrapbooking stuff. I use Papermaze and Happy Daze and A Trip Down Memory Lane. But really there are loads out there, and some offer free P&P, some will have exactly the sort of stuff you like, and occasionally someone will give you less than brilliant service and you won't use them again!

View Gallery

I don't know of any shops local to Swinton and have just discovered the one I was thinking of in Stretford has closed down. If you have transport then Hysteri-Cal holds a twice monthly crop in Rochdale, she has all her ******** Up stuff there and would be happy to give you some pointers and let you have a play. Also this weekend there is a Craft show at Event City where you could get some ideas. Some garden centres have craft outlets that have demos, but again am not sure what would be local to you.

Dedicated Scrapper Sara@Paradise's Avatar
    View Gallery

You can see the things I find useful here - although you have got lots of useful things already! It's a slippery slope you are on!!! A nice slippery slope though! I have replaced my Cuttlebug with a BigShot now, which I find easier to use with the different sized dies from other companies - and there are some beautiful ones around now.
    Smiles,
    Sara

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks everyone you've been really helpful
    I've got my eye on a craft robo lite someone's selling for £40
    It's minus the cutting mats though
    Just seeing if she's willing to post it out

What things would I need to cut on there ?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi Heywood07

I am going off the name here there is a craft class in Heywood Nr Rochdale don't know if I can name it on here but if you inbox me maybe explain where it is.
    P