You've Got Questions. We've Got UKScrappers.

fri 5

by bramblepie

June week 2

by elainevking

June week 2

by bramblepie

June week 1

by elainevking

Ed's Easy Diner

by Mary Buttons

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

Graphtec UK banner

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)

Art journals anybody?

This thread has been automatically created, because the original thread had over 250 posts.

The original thread was located HERE.

The first post was....

[QUOTE]This thread has been automatically created, because the original thread had over 250 posts.

The first post was....

I'm just getting into this and am already completely HOOKED (my first effort is on my blog here . My inspiration was Kate Crane from The Kathryn Wheel, but I'd love to be in touch with other people exploring this too - am thinking of booking on a workshop in October run by Artist Trading Post. I also understand there's a magazine - is it from Stampington - and would be keen to buy a couple of back issues, just to see if I like it.
    Please feel free to carry on......

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    Blimey, we rolled again ....! Art journallers seem to have a LOT to say! Dark and wet this morning so might get a chance to do some playing ...

He can find me in the moonlight anytime Mollymoo's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    so I have been experimenting in the ASDA book that I bought after someone here recommended it.

I am really having problems though. I thought I would try and make some backgrounds and while they are 'arty' I cant journal on them as they are too dark and murky - its a bit like mixing all the colours of plasticine together - you get that brown colour.....

not happy with my first foray onto this

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (54)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollymoo View Post
    so I have been experimenting in the ASDA book that I bought after someone here recommended it.

I am really having problems though. I thought I would try and make some backgrounds and while they are 'arty' I cant journal on them as they are too dark and murky - its a bit like mixing all the colours of plasticine together - you get that brown colour.....

don't panic, this is easily remedied. easiest way to avoid mud is to make sure each layer/colour of paint is completely dry before you apply the next. Also if you find a colour wheel on the net, you can avoid the mud by making sure you don't mix colours opposite on the wheel.

maybe lighten up what you have already done with gesso, collage over it, or journal with something like a fine tipped white POSCA pen which will write over anything

have fun!
    Blog (warning, here be spoilers!) / Art Journals / Be-Stitched CJ

Hev, not a complete lunatic, but getting there! Mystery Woman's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    Speaking of journalling - what is the best type of pen to use, for writing over your painty/inky backgrounds? Have made a start with a background, but not sure where to go now. Was looking at Kirst Wiseman's course, and wondering if it might be a good way to get me started off. Anyone else done anything like this?

June points 0 SLO, 0 DLO, 0 Weekly Challenge, 6 Cards = 30 points

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (47)
    book marking new thread
    ALLY allys blog
    The Story Book CJ

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mollymoo View Post

Aww - I know it feels disappointing but please don't be down! It's a completely new technique so it takes some time and experimentation to see how your paints work for you. Just play with cheap scrap paper for a while, experimenting with different amounts of water etc. Don't try to actually produce anything proper yet, then you won't feel frustrated.

Flo's advice is excellent.

I would also add: if you stick to variants of the 3 primary colours, two colours touching will always be fine, but any more than than two colours touching will make brown.

I usually only use two colours for the background anyway. You can add more colours later using stamping, pens, watercolour pencils et.

To make the whole thing lighter, just use a small amount of paint with lots of water to create a watercolour effect.
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 16-07-2011 at 11:04 AM.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    Claudia I have looked on your blog and I love the backgrounds painted on synthetic paper - where can I get this paper from as I would love to try it?
    SANDRA
    Altered Monthly Tag swap
    Open Theme CJ
    TipIn Page Swap
    UKS Sketchbook Challenge 2011 - SERENDIPITY

Dedicated Scrapper agirlcalledbob's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Woman View Post
    Speaking of journalling - what is the best type of pen to use, for writing over your painty/inky backgrounds? Have made a start with a background, but not sure where to go now. Was looking at Kirst Wiseman's course, and wondering if it might be a good way to get me started off. Anyone else done anything like this?
    i took kirsy's class...i'll blog the results some time soon it would be really good for a beginner :0)

as for pens i swear by my pitt pens {available in the online jungle store} they come in a wide variety of widths and i love the chunky ones for shadow and stamping effects :0) but best of all they write on acrylic paint beautifully and can be mod podged over

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Woman View Post
    I am doing Kirsty's "Me in my MoleskinE" course and am enjoying every minute! It's very simple and straight forward to follow so I think would be a good course to start with. Christy Tomlinson's courses are also fun to do and she does more with arty backgrounds imo.

I have some pages loaded on my blog (created just for this course so nothing fancy!) and will be uploading the more pages later - I have 4 or 5 pages to go but no hurry - I just do a bit here and there as I have time.

As for pens - I have 2 recommended by Christy Tomlinson - Pilot G-2 and a Pilot Permaball - they write on anything but not waterproof (so I can't go over them with paint without smudging). I think Faber-Castell Pitt artist pens are also good - am sure someone else will pop in with their thoughts!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    Quote Originally Posted by agirlcalledbob View Post
    {available in the online jungle store}
    I can't think who you mean... help!

Make EVERY day your new blank canvas cantstopstampin's Avatar
    No longer in my little village, still in Staffs, but I AM happy !
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    Newbies - don't panic. I only started Art Journalling aobut 2 weeks ago, and really panicked about it all ................. little by little I'm getting to like my pages now. Keeping it simple (initally) - and maybe building up as the pages emerge - I can't say it's been easy, I must admit but the last one I did - although a basic page, I really like - little journalling but the background I love and again it is very simple, not too worked - I would say 'finely misted'. I'm loving AJ'ing.............

attaching a couple of pics of the latest ones - 'as i said before, be gentle with me !'
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cantstopstampin; 16-07-2011 at 12:03 PM.
    ATC's - ATC's - ATC's - ATC's - ATC's

Have you EVER thought about making and swapping ATC's - come along and join us on the ATC trail : http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards/...d.php?t=313678 My Blog:::: here

If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got. T_Ann's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by becslb View Post
    I can't think who you mean... help!
    starts with A and has a z in there somewhere
    T-Ann

My blog http://urbanblog-tianne.blogspot.com/
    Points SLO= 0 DLO= 0 AJ pages 8 = 50 points Do 100 LOs this year = 4/100 minibooks this year= 0/12

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hey folks! Who else has been playing with paint today?

I have been busy with my watercolours and have blogged a two-step Yupo page, and also a step-by-step floral picture using Watersoluble crayons on normal watercolour paper (requested by someone who liked the poppies I did a while ago.) All very summery!

Khiaramai - I had to order the Yupo paper from America. There's not much call for it because it is so difficult to use, and even once it's dry, the paint never really fixes. It's fun to experiment with, but it's very annoying!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

Dedicated Scrapper agirlcalledbob's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Quote Originally Posted by cantstopstampin View Post
    attaching a couple of pics of the latest ones - 'as i said before, be gentle with me !'
    love these! :0)

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast