Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (88)

Craft Room Sheds

hey all, I hope some of you lovely ladies might be able to advise me, me and my husband might be moving within the next 9 months to a new build 1 bedroom bungalow, now at the moment I have a craft room in the spare room (in 2 bed private rent house right now) but if we move I will lose this space, so I'm thinking il have a new craft shed instead, which if I'm truthful I'm kinda excited about I don't want my craft space in the living room as I don't like clutter iynwim just my personal choice!

So my question is do you have a craft shed? does it work? was it really expensive to do? The new bungalow comes with a brand new shed for tools etc so i will buy another one, what size is yours? do you have insulation? flooring? sorry so many questions. Could you link me up with some photos please? i have my desk, expedit etc.

many thanks for taking the time to read and i look forward to your replies.

Katy

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Oh my days ... A craft shed??? I want one too!! But what about finding a spider in your 12x12 paper box? Not sure I could cope with that!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (51)
    I have just moved out of craft shed into the box room cos my older son moved out. I used my shed for about 5 years and it worked well for me. It was a summer house that cost us about £300 back then. Hubby used loft insulation in the walls and covered that with hardboard and boarded the floor and then we used some carpet tiles. There is a greenhouse heater in there was worked on a timer and kept everything from getting damp and when that was on, it was pretty warm in there with the door closed even in winter, but did have a fan heater if I needed a boost.

Mine I think is about 7 x 5 and I had a huge table along one wall and then old chest of drawers along the others, it was a snug fit, but it worked

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (88)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft Island View Post
    Oh my days ... A craft shed??? I want one too!! But what about finding a spider in your 12x12 paper box? Not sure I could cope with that!
    I know I'm seriously excited, how cute it will be and a added bonus is i like spiders so i will be just fine in there

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I have a craft den down my garden, it was built for us and the man who made it brought it in sections and when we he erected it we had it lined and all the electric put in before they lined it and the one thing we where told was to have a double floor put in to stop any damp rising, we have a oil filled radiator on frost setting during the winter and I have never had anything get damp so far.

I think mine is 12x10, we fitted it out with kitchen worktop to the front and down one side and I have drawers underneath the worktop, the other side I have 2 large book cases I had from Argos, at the bottom end I have 40 of the 12x12 racks that I had from a craft store that was selling them off.

I am very happy with mine which I have had for 3 years.
    I just cant stand clutter and so it was a must to have something just for crafting.

I am sorry I cant post any photos, but I hope that helps you. Where in Norfolk do you live? as we are on the Norfolk/ Cambridgeshire boarder.

Since it was put up we have had both windows replaced with double glazed window.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    Oooh, that's what I want, too. I would insulate it, install under-floor heating (should be inexpensive for that) and give it plenty of power outlets. Our garden is fairly secure but I would still find some way to reinforce the security.

I figure that all this would cost around £9K. Is that realistic?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (43)
    We were hoping to do this when we move, mainly as there is no space in the house for me to scrap. I saw these advertised in a local magazine and thought they looked ideal: http://www.insulatedbuildings.co.uk - they are only based down the road from us at the moment but do deliver nationwide. Unfortunately we won't have any budget for scrapping shed due to way things have worked out with our move, but I can still dream!
    Tracy
    Scrap Pack

BeStitched Fabric CJ

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I have also downsized into a (fairly) new house so space is at a premium and I am also a neat freak. I bought a summer house ( photo in my gallery) but didn't like working in there so I have had a large cupboard on my landing converted to scrap space instead. Maybe it depends on when you scrap. I tend to have crafty moments very late at night after OH has gone to bed so working in the garden was too spooky for me.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (41)
    Thing is I wouldnt want to traipse (spell?) down the garden when its wet, snowing, cold etc. It would have to be attached to the house, spider proof or not!

And a kettle, sink, small fridge is a must have!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    I had a craft shed years ago in my old place. I bought a summer house from a place in Essex (near Stanstead) it was a hexagon shape and had huge windows and glass double doors. It was very light and is the only thing I really miss about the house

I bought the slightly more expensive insulation from Wikes, it comes in slab form and is a lot easier to install. I then covered all that with plastic sheeting and then screwed plasterboard over the top and papered it. Due to electrical regulations you will need a separate fuse box for it.
    I did much of the work myself and I think in total it came to about £900 (including the building).

I had a small electric heater in there but as the others have said, it was more than enough to warm the place in winter and only needed to be on in short blasts. My only advice would be to have decent lights outside that can be operated from the house/shed as it can be pretty dark coming out in winter.

Chrissie

Make EVERY day your new blank canvas cantstopstampin's Avatar
    No longer in my little village, still in Staffs, but I AM happy !
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    we downsized mega 18 months ago and I lost one of my spare rooms, as I am a reflexologist also I have to have a treatment room - so the spare room here (on top of my treatment room) doubles as computer room, dressing room, store room, craft/scrapping room, junk room etc etc etc - as I craft very late at night too it'd be difficult to be out in the garden unless the scrap shed was very close the house or attached in some way. AND I too absolutely hate spiders but you can get them indoors anyway !

Let us see what you come up with though...............I do love the look of scrapsheds.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrappy Pat View Post
    Thing is I wouldnt want to traipse (spell?) down the garden when its wet, snowing, cold etc. It would have to be attached to the house, spider proof or not!

And a kettle, sink, small fridge is a must have!
    I thought that, too, but then I think that once you got into the 'craft cabin', you'd feel so snug and cosy that you wouldn't want to leave....fewer distractions and just some 'me' time and space. I don't spend every day in my craft room now, anyway, and it's IN the house.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I've got a craft shed - hubby put it up last summer and i've survived a winter in it. Its fantastic - I go out after the kids are in bed and scrap in there till about 10pm - I've been out there pretty much every night for the past year. I detest spiders but am using lemongrass oil in the water when i wipe surfaces - and they seem to have stayed away this year (for the time being).
    There are pics in one of my albums - that was moving in day last year - its changed a fair bit and will try to get photo's taken this weekend (after a good clean hehehe) and post it in the same album if anyone is interested.
    It's 3m x 3m - we bought it off ebay and it was classed as a workshop. Hubby laid down slabs then wooden pallets a waterproof membrane then the actual structure on top. The walls were insulated with Kingspan this was then covered with plywood sheets - which he has put lining paper on so the walls are smooth inside. We insulated the windows by adding sheets of perspex over the original windows which was far too thin ... I put privacy frosting on the inside as didn't want the neighbours watching me lol.
    There is electric and I use a thermo controlled heater in the winter ... my papers are fine as there is no damp - oh most important is having 2 air vents by my door.
    And for security I have a shed alarm - so have to punch a code in when I unlock the padlock - we have no back entrance but I'm a paranoid sort.
    I love my little studio - my boys are still young (5 and 1) so I got something to look forward to when they play up.
    The only issue I really have is having to run across the garden to get to the loo ... lol but I think a portaloo would just be a step too far!
    hth,
    Fae x

Make EVERY day your new blank canvas cantstopstampin's Avatar
    No longer in my little village, still in Staffs, but I AM happy !
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    wow fae your scrapshed is LOVELY yes lets see updated pic's please

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    where can we see pics Fae ?