Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper tutti-frutti's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

CR that embosses

So I'm sitting here in the sun daydreaming and I'm wondering why Graphtec haven't developed the CR to emboss.
    It would be quite simple really (she says!!!): replace the blade with an embossing tool and use a softer mat instead of or, on top of the stiff plastic carrier sheet.

Or has it already been done and I don't know about it?!

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by tutti-frutti View Post
    So I'm sitting here in the sun daydreaming and I'm wondering why Graphtec haven't developed the CR to emboss.
    It would be quite simple really (she says!!!): replace the blade with an embossing tool and use a softer mat instead of or, on top of the stiff plastic carrier sheet.

No it hasn't been done. In the early days I did discuss with Phil about getting the CR to do this, but he couldn't source a suitable mat that would work with the machine and lend itself to embossing, they were either too thick to thin or just plain didn't work. We saw a couple that we thought might work, but sadly they didn't. As I say that was quite a few years ago, perhaps Phil would look into again if you contacted him or he could pass it over to GAS to research, I'm sure he wouldn't mind he is very helpful and always open to suggestions.

I have had varying degrees of success with embossing using one of my Pergamano embossing tools and folded kitchen paper, as you can imagine folding kitchen paper and getting it into the machine even taped to the CS is no easy task and wasn't worth more than a couple of tries I'm not that crazy.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

Card Maker and Robo Fanatic
    View Gallery

Hi Tutti-Frutti I did wonder myself, don't think its been done but there is at least one machine on the market that I know of that does but it's nothing to do with Robo or Silhouette obviously I can't mention it by name
    Nana Pam

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Nana Pam View Post
    Hi Tutti-Frutti I did wonder myself, don't think its been done but there is at least one machine on the market that I know of that does but it's nothing to do with Robo or Silhouette obviously I can't mention it by name
    Nana Pam
    Actually at the risk of nit picking here, there are several machines that emboss. I've got a bigger machine that does it and I've never used it for that, I actually enjoy doing some hands on crafting these days, especially for my Pergamano, there wouldn't be any fun or satisfaction if a machine did it for me.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    No it hasn't been done. In the early days I did discuss with Phil about getting the CR to do this, but he couldn't source a suitable mat that would work with the machine and lend itself to embossing, they were either too thick to thin or just plain didn't work. We saw a couple that we thought might work, but sadly they didn't. As I say that was quite a few years ago, perhaps Phil would look into again if you contacted him or he could pass it over to GAS to research, I'm sure he wouldn't mind he is very helpful and always open to suggestions.

I have had varying degrees of success with embossing using one of my Pergamano embossing tools and folded kitchen paper, as you can imagine folding kitchen paper and getting it into the machine even taped to the CS is no easy task and wasn't worth more than a couple of tries I'm not that crazy.
    Lucille - sorry to sound dumb, but who is Phil and do you know if he still works there?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Lucille - sorry to sound dumb, but who is Phil and do you know if he still works there?
    Yes he's still there. This is what his profile says
    "Occupation
    Sales & Marketing Director
    Other Information
    I am a Director of Graphtec GB who are the UK distributors of the CraftROBO

View Gallery

Here is a link to his last post in the forum, if you click on his name you will get an option to send private message you can contact him that way, he might even have the email option available, sorry I can't remember off hand.

View Gallery

OK thanks. I'll check him out.

I was thinking about a mat made of the same type of material that is used by some firms in their packaging. Hard to describe, but it's a white sheet with very good heat insulating properties and not easy to tear. My CR was wrapped in it.

I too like the hands-on approach to things like parchment craft but I find hand-embossing card plays havoc with the joints in my hands, and then there's the cutting out, particularly intricate designs.

Are there machines on the market that emboss and cut your own designs?

Dedicated Scrapper phoenix rising's Avatar
    View Gallery

Not exactly what you mean, which is a Fantastic idea BTW, but I have cut flower shapes on my silhouette & then run them through an embossing folder (swirly shapes) afterwards. I made them into brooches after gently shaping the petals & inking them.
    Lesley

Phoenix rising

View Gallery

OK thanks. I'll check him out.

I was thinking about a mat made of the same type of material that is used by some firms in their packaging. Hard to describe, but it's a white sheet with very good heat insulating properties and not easy to tear. My CR was wrapped in it.

I too like the hands-on approach to things like parchment craft but I find hand-embossing card plays havoc with the joints in my hands, and then there's the cutting out, particularly intricate designs.

Are there machines on the market that emboss and cut your own designs?
    I don't think any cut and emboss at the same time for obvious reasons, but the machines that emboss cut as well, if that is what you mean. As I said I've never used mine for embossing, so I've no idea how or in what order you would do things, especially as you would have to take the design off the cutting mat and put it on the embossing mat, Ummm sounds to me like one of those things where marketers are quick to say Ohhhh yes, but don't show or tell you, it's a nightmare to do. Like the video's on the internet and TV they only show the easy stuff like cut this printed image and conveniently forget to tell people they need to trace it first.
    Last edited by Lucille; 28-05-2011 at 07:50 PM.

View Gallery

Sorry, I meant emboss and then cut. As the CR doesn't go right to the edge of the card etc, wouldn't it be possible to first lay the embossing mat (which is smaller than the CS) on the carrier sheet and lay the card on top. Let the CR emboss, gently remove the mat by partly lifting the design but not completely. Firm back the design on the CS and replace the embossing tool with the blade and set to Cut. If the embossing mat is smaller than the CS the whole thing doesn't need to be taken out of the CR.

Of course the design would have to be face down if you wanted emboss instead of deboss.

View Gallery

Sorry, I meant emboss and then cut. As the CR doesn't go right to the edge of the card etc, wouldn't it be possible to first lay the embossing mat (which is smaller than the CS) on the carrier sheet and lay the card on top. Let the CR emboss, gently remove the mat by partly lifting the design but not completely. Firm back the design on the CS and replace the embossing tool with the blade and set to Cut. If the embossing mat is smaller than the CS the whole thing doesn't need to be taken out of the CR.

Of course the design would have to be face down if you wanted emboss instead of deboss.
    See what I mean, it's not quite as straight forward as you first think.

View Gallery

Yes, but once you've got it sussed, it becomes a doddle!!!!

View Gallery

Yes, but once you've got it sussed, it becomes a doddle!!!!
    I'll take your word for that

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Look back at some old threads about using the Robo to emboss, we've tried it varying degrees of success. I used my Pro which has more down force than the small Robos, and I didn't have any joy with card bur fared better with thin metal. If I remember correctly we posted some examples.

But to be honest it was a lot of hassle, and I'd sooner use a Cuttlebug or similar, or emboss by hand like Lucille. Since it's been confirmed that the Robos will cut Doeflex (see threads on this), and we've already got instructions for making card embossing folders this is an alternative way to go with your Robo. But if you want to try then it's a matter of finding the correct bits and bobs from your craft tools and giving it a go - I used an ordinary embossing tool in the pen holder, and a small firm parchment craft rubber mat taped to the carrier. If the machine sounds as though it labouring then stop.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."