You Too Can Have a UKScrappers Like Mine.

Sketch 38

by sharon1973

April week 3

by elainevking

For the love of red wellies

by Jolene

Hollywood Studios

by Jolene

Go See Do

by Jolene

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

Graphtec UK banner

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    someone please give a clue as to what SAHM is.

I'm a lurker on this thread but the more I read the more I am interested in starting

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viv1 View Post
    someone please give a clue as to what SAHM is.

I'm a lurker on this thread but the more I read the more I am interested in starting
    It means stay-at-home-mom/mum. A woman with children who does not go out to work. I think the term started in the U.S. but it's pretty widespread in the English-speaking world now.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    This is an interesting set of blog posts or as she calls them ~ rants. Thought provoking though. http://www.comfortableshoesstudio.co...ff-part-1.html

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Thanks for the link Bernice (I can actually access it from here in the office which is a rarity these days!). I found the arguments against accumulating excessive stash really interesting and, as you say, thought provoking. I'm as bad as anyone for acquiring "stuff" all the time and wonder if it's sometimes more of a hindrance than a help.

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    I read it too, and I do know what she means even if I don't entirely agree. My instinct is to concur that, if you weren't a crafter before, you definitely wouldn't need the stuff that's out there in order to become an art journaller. Its often occurred to me that the really basic supplies for this are just that - really simple and basic.

But I'm guessing that all of us at least came to it from a long history of crafting, and a large quantity of stash already stored. For me using up some of that stuff in my journals feels quite virtuous - which is why I use a lot of my leftover scrapbook paper on pages. The ranter would probably say that doing so didn't count as art - or sneer at it for being too pretty, but its art to me, not to mention cathartic and healing. AND I'm recycling!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I don't think she would sneer because your page would look like your work and not a copy of someone else's which is what I think she is getting at.

Stampin, scrappin, craftin addict! Alipeeps's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Quote Originally Posted by hopberni View Post
    I don't think she would sneer because your page would look like your work and not a copy of someone else's which is what I think she is getting at.
    Hmm. Tbh I read what she was saying more as "If you use lots of Tim Holtz products on your page, then your page isn't really your art, it's Tim Holtz's art." Not a sentiment I think I agree with tbh..
    The Crop Circle team - Green Buttons House
    Art Journal CJ
    My Craft Blog: Alipeeps' Art

Pootlin' along nicely thanks Rhomany's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zullybelle View Post
    But I'm guessing that all of us at least came to it from a long history of crafting, and a large quantity of stash already stored. For me using up some of that stuff in my journals feels quite virtuous - which is why I use a lot of my leftover scrapbook paper on pages. The ranter would probably say that doing so didn't count as art - or sneer at it for being too pretty, but its art to me, not to mention cathartic and healing. AND I'm recycling!
    The cult of stuff idea is actually very much about doing exactly that. Why buy a product that has been specially marketed for you to do x,y, & z with, when you already own the stuff to be able to make it yourself? Why buy specially made products, when you have plenty of bits and bobs at home waiting to be turned into fun things that you created? She would be more likely to applaud you for thinking outside the box with your pretty papers and putting them to good use.
    My blog
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offense. But we could take the safety labels off everything and let nature run its course.

View Gallery

That's true, for years I've preferred to make my own embellishments rather than buy them - I bought dies to cut my own flowers and if I haven't got a brad the right colour I paint one!

But I'm not joining in the cult of stuff on any level these days - we reached a point where we said "we've got enough" and have resisted the blandishments of advertisers to get bigger or better ever since. We replace things that are worn out, but we're looking for longevity in a product not whether its the latest fad. Its been a goal to live more simply, and now I'm doing it with my stash too! See the thread I started "too much stash, is that possible"?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    I also make the majority of my embellishments but I do have patterned paper problems... I don't buy much full price, just get tempted by bargains in the sales! I am on a diet

Not got any crafting of any sort done for 3 weeks now... the ideas are there but no time... roll on winter and rainy days when I have lots of time

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I had to smile when I read your post becslb! That could have been me writing. I like to use all sorts of weird and wonderful things in my crafting (and, like many others, have stuff from years back) My weakness is patterned papers in the sales and I am trying to be strong at the moment and resisting temptation.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Hi I never seem to have time to pop in for a chat here but I have been keeping an eye out on all the fab work on the blogs. I just blogged my latest page. For all you lurkers or not sure whether to do it I suggest you just leap in there and have fun - as it is wonderfully messy and a great way of expressing yourself.
    Pop Over to my blog, Salamanda's Paper Adventures
    Team Member: All New Lost Girls
    Gold Eyelets House

One day I'll be living the dream...
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    hello, I'm still here too. Just busy with life at the moment. Keep your fingers crossed for me, but I may be able have some play time in my journal tomorrow. Got most of my chores done today and it's just me at home.

View Gallery

I pop off to Yorkshire for a few days and everyone stops talking!! Can I confess that although I thought about taking my small journal, I didn't. So shoot me I am obviously not a "real" journaller. Couldn't be bothered, how about that for a confession .....

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Zullybelle View Post
    I pop off to Yorkshire for a few days and everyone stops talking!! Can I confess that although I thought about taking my small journal, I didn't. So shoot me I am obviously not a "real" journaller. Couldn't be bothered, how about that for a confession .....
    GOod for you. I don't take mine anywhere either. SO obviously we're a different sort of journaller.

+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast