June week 1

by elainevking

Ed's Easy Diner

by Mary Buttons

ABC Xenophile

by scrapdolly

June19 _ Friday 5 _ 14th - 30th

by new2this

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

ATDML banner

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    One day I'll be living the dream...
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    Vicki, if it makes you feel any better, I firmly believe that SAHMs work ten times harder than people like me who doss around at the office all day!
    when we're not crafting!

Gotta say it's the hardest job I've ever had. I take my hats off to women (and men before DH shouts at me) who work, and even more so for single parents.

EDIT: bit of a shhhhsshh, and I dare say I shouldn't mention it on here but I have just shared a tiny bit of news on my blog.

Stampin, scrappin, craftin addict! Alipeeps's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    whenever people de-lurk, I always make that noise that Klingon ships used to make when they de-cloaked in the original series of Star Trek

Once a geek, always a geek
    Heee! That's so awesome! Glad I'm not the only geek in here!
    The Crop Circle team - Green Buttons House
    Art Journal CJ
    My Craft Blog: Alipeeps' Art

A woman should hang onto her youth, but not whilst he's driving juliwan's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    Quote Originally Posted by biskit View Post
    I'm just south of York, not exactly pop in for a quick cuppa distance sadly.

So can I nickname you Scrounger then? How bad am I though - when I took redundancy I signed on. I didn't need the money, but I had ppi on a loan I took out to buy my car, so signing on for a year meant that my loan was paid for a year - which paid it off. I also changed my car while "on the dole" and picked up my first Lexus. Raised a couple of eyebrows, but to me it reinforced what I should be earning... I had to sign off because I went on a three week Caribbean cruise for my honeymoon. Ahhhh, those were the days.

Good for you Vicki I am just deciding how I will spend my redundancy money when nice Mr Cameron shuts down all the PCT's. A Lexus sounds a good idea

View Gallery

I've been a SAHM for over 2 years now and I have to say I love not working!

I'm another one that had worked my whole life... started taking summer jobs from age 16 onwards and continued to do so while at school and at uni and then started work after finishing uni. I've signed on maybe two or three times in my whole life and each time was only for a matter of weeks (and every time it was a nightmare and my payments would never be correct - but that's a whole nother rant!).

When I got pregnant I assumed I would have to return to work after maternity leave (mainly cos I had a lot of debt built up over the years and needed to be able to make those payments) but, as it happened, my lovely employers made me redundant (unfairly, I may add, and never paid me a penny!!) 11 days after I told them I was pregnant! In some ways that turned out to be a good thing as it made DH and I sit down and look at our finances probably earlier than we might have done and we rearranged things and paid off most of my debts and decided we could afford for me to stay home with the kids. I temped for a bit during my pregnancy but had to stop doing even that after having a serious bleed at 26 weeks. I've not worked since.

After having worked my whole life, I actually like not working and I can certainly find plenty of things to fill my time - mostly crafting these days! The downside is it can be lonely with just me and the kids (especially as Dh works away during the week) but I am very very grateful that my DH earns a good wage and we can afford for me to stay home with the kids. I'm not looking forward to having to return to work in the future! (Though, to be fair, the experience at my last employers may have somewhat soured my view on having a job!!)
    Art Journal CJ

Hev, not a complete lunatic, but getting there! Mystery Woman's Avatar
    View Gallery

I loved being a SAHM! so much so, that I never went back to work again! Instead, I always worked fro myself, from home. I was lucky too, that DH always earned enough to pay the important bills, so my contribution was for the non-essentials! I had my own business designing and making bridal gowns, for over ten years. Couldn't stand the thought of going back to work for someone else, after that! lol!

I want to start on a journal that has fairly high quality paper, and also one where the pages won't fall out! want to do double page spreads - your suggestions please!

June points 0 SLO, 0 DLO, 0 Weekly Challenge, 6 Cards = 30 points

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hi all.
    This is my latest effort ... feel a bit sick about sharing it to be honest ... but I am going with the "there is no wrong" school of thought and hope nobody laughs. I even blogged it! Does that make me very brave or very stupid ... I will let you know later :0)

100_5429(1).jpg

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Woman View Post
    I loved being a SAHM! so much so, that I never went back to work again! Instead, I always worked fro myself, from home. I was lucky too, that DH always earned enough to pay the important bills, so my contribution was for the non-essentials! I had my own business designing and making bridal gowns, for over ten years. Couldn't stand the thought of going back to work for someone else, after that! lol!
    Well, I'm not a SAHM but a SAHW(ife) and love it. To tell the truth, I think a lot of times it actually costs a woman a lot more to work than she realises. If you figure in the cost of petrol to get to/from work, extra clothes required, less time cooking, more time eating out (for both the working woman and the family as a whole), childcare and a host of other issues. Not in every case, of course, and some women love what they do and do a valuable service (medical personnel, for example). Just saying.... if you NEED and WANT a reason not to work and have an adequate family income through your partner, then there is an argument to be made.

My gorgeous grandsons (love 'em to bits :) ) chrisG's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by biskit View Post
    EDIT: bit of a shhhhsshh, and I dare say I shouldn't mention it on here but I have just shared a tiny bit of news on my blog.
    Whooo whooo- Congratulations Vicki - You are a brave lady!
    Mega best wishes in your new venture - hope it all goes spiffingly well for you honey.

BTW - Welcome all lurkers - I have become a bit of a lurker myself here, not having posted for yonks but still passing through every now & again. LOL

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (54)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneH View Post
    Well, I'm not a SAHM but a SAHW(ife) and love it. To tell the truth, I think a lot of times it actually costs a woman a lot more to work than she realises. If you figure in the cost of petrol to get to/from work, extra clothes required, less time cooking, more time eating out (for both the working woman and the family as a whole), childcare and a host of other issues. Not in every case, of course, and some women love what they do and do a valuable service (medical personnel, for example). Just saying.... if you NEED and WANT a reason not to work and have an adequate family income through your partner, then there is an argument to be made.
    I would definitely have given it a go....unfortunately I'm missing one of those "partner" things!
    Blog (warning, here be spoilers!) / Art Journals / Be-Stitched CJ

View Gallery

Ah, yes, the other half is rather important if you are to become a SAHW!!!

Any suggestions on a journal to buy then? Want one that you can work across both pages together IYSWIM!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda_E View Post
    Hi all.
    This is my latest effort ... feel a bit sick about sharing it to be honest ... but I am going with the "there is no wrong" school of thought and hope nobody laughs. I even blogged it! Does that make me very brave or very stupid ... I will let you know later :0)

100_5429(1).jpg
    Love your page Linda

Re SAHMs I don't know why there is such a fuss with separate camps. I've always worked, mainly because I hda my 1st baby during my final year at Med school and needed to qualify and do house jobs. Now I work and my husband doesn't. But all decisions are very personal and very specific to the family concerned. There are no right or wrong answers are there

View Gallery

No, there isn't a right and wrong - as you say, personal choice. I used to get quite put out when people hinted that it was 'wrong' not to go out to work, but not now! I've realised that it's how you feel yourself that matters - s** everyone else!! lol!

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by JaneH View Post
    Oh indeed... thanks to my last employers making me redundant, if I were to return to work atm it would almost certainly have to be in an admin role, and those don't command high salaries - and with two little ones and no family nearby, it would probably cost more in childcare than I would actually be earning!!
    Art Journal CJ

One day I'll be living the dream...
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I would definitely have given it a go....unfortunately I'm missing one of those "partner" things!
    It sure does help!

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery Woman View Post

Any suggestions on a journal to buy then? Want one that you can work across both pages together IYSWIM!
    A lot of us use moleskines, but if you want to start with something a bit cheaper and you have a Paperchase nearby - try one of their greyboard sketch books. Depends how big you want to start.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisG View Post
    Whooo whooo- Congratulations Vicki - You are a brave lady!
    Mega best wishes in your new venture - hope it all goes spiffingly well for you honey.
    Thank you! Here's hoping brave and not stoopid

Quote Originally Posted by Linda_E View Post
    Hi all.
    You're right to go with that school of thought, but for what it's worth I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alipeeps View Post
    Oh indeed... thanks to my last employers making me redundant, if I were to return to work atm it would almost certainly have to be in an admin role, and those don't command high salaries - and with two little ones and no family nearby, it would probably cost more in childcare than I would actually be earning!!
    I'm in the same boat as you Ali. Ahh, I'm happy being a SAHM, I get time to craft, bake and leave the ironing for Dh.

Well DD is four tomorrow! I'm sat looking at a big pink car draped in wrapping paper. Shame she has nursery. Then we're off to cadbury world at the weekend for her day out. Her choice...just hope she won't be disappointed as she's been watching the new version of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory all week. So - guess that means no journals for me for another few days. I'm itching to play in one of my new ones.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (54)
    Oh I love Cadbury World - enjoy!

(have you already got tickets btw? I definitely advise booking in advance or you can end up with a 2 hour wait before they let you in!)

As for journals - watercolour Moleskines are fab (don't get the "standard" Moleskines as the paper is too thin - unless you can be bothered to glue pages together and gesso them all first)

Or you can make your own if you have a bind it all or the like (or fancy binding by hand)

The advantage of the latter is you can use all different papers, and work on your pages outside of the book, and bind the whole lot at the end - that's a lot easier than working in the book. (but maybe less fun, I dunno....)
    Blog (warning, here be spoilers!) / Art Journals / Be-Stitched CJ

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast