Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Thread: silhouette help

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

sad silhouette help

Hi guys,

have recently got a sillhouette (older version) and have managed to suss out most stuff on it including inkscape. But (ain't there always a but...) I'm tearing my hair out, not to mention depopulating rain forests at an alarming rate, trying to get it to cut exactly where it should.

I'm wanting to cut words out of the bottom of a card but it just isn't lining up right.

Have done all the usual checks I can think of like set page and carrier to A4, have even drawn boxes (non cut) with precise measurements of paper and tried centering that way, but what I'm seeing on screen just isnt the same as whats on the mat.

With the new silhouette software the image is placed at the top of the screen, and thats coming out fine but how do i find where my crease would be on the actual card and relate that to whats on screen.

Hoping you can understand what I'm probably explaining very badly and that someone can help me.

Cheers

Lisa

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    welcome Lisa

Try drawing a card then adding your bits but making sure your card lines is set not to cut.. then you will know where to put your scoreline.. so in other words make an imaginary card but not cut it all if that makes any sense
    Tina craft robo

View Gallery

If you click on your box surrounding your design not set to cut as tina said, the little boxes that appear each corner and central,the central box I line my scoreline up with and worked everytime for me so far.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thank you both for the quick response - I have tried doing that and my text is still not where I expect it to be. I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong rather than the machine and it's probably something so simple that when I do find an answer I'm going to kick myself for being so stupid, but in the meantime it is sooooooooo frustrating and having to swear quietly so the kids cant hear - just doesn't give the same satisfaction ;-)

View Gallery

aw bless you yes I know how you feel the amount of frustrations I have had over the months!!! Nearly wore a wig at one time
    So lets have a quick run through, you have your blank document up, checked you have your pages set right i.e all to a4 and not letter as it seems to default to letter upon opening.

If you click on the little house icon top right hand side and then page tools, you can reveal your carrier sheet, dont' know if that may help you trying to get all your bits and bobs in the right place, you can reveal carrier sheet when checking you all on A4 too.

Have you also tried copying and pasting it all to a new page? I remember a while back I was having probs with a design copied and pasted it to a new page and it was fine on there, very strange and no idea why but might be worth a shot!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi,

all set to A4 and carrier sheet showing not tried moving to a new document, might give that a go tomorrow, but me and Cyril (sad to name it i know.....) are not friends tonight so in the interests of my sanity and Cyril's safety we're not talking right now.

Was wondering whether it might be a placement issue - should the right hand side of card be up to the edge of the carrier or up to the edge of the covered sticky bit or centralised.

Thanks to all who are helping - much appreciated

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by limarie View Post
    Hi guys,

have recently got a sillhouette (older version) and have managed to suss out most stuff on it including inkscape. But (ain't there always a but...) I'm tearing my hair out, not to mention depopulating rain forests at an alarming rate, trying to get it to cut exactly where it should.

I'm wanting to cut words out of the bottom of a card but it just isn't lining up right.

Have done all the usual checks I can think of like set page and carrier to A4, have even drawn boxes (non cut) with precise measurements of paper and tried centering that way, but what I'm seeing on screen just isnt the same as whats on the mat.

With the new silhouette software the image is placed at the top of the screen, and thats coming out fine but how do i find where my crease would be on the actual card and relate that to whats on screen.

Hoping you can understand what I'm probably explaining very badly and that someone can help me.

Cheers

Lisa
    I thought you were supposed to place the card on the grid on the carrier sheet to match the placement of the design on the screen carrier sheet.

If you could use RoboMaster you could use the Set Origin option to cut where you want to cut on the card regardless of where the design is on the workspace.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi,

my carrier sheet doesnt have a grid on it, would probably be loads easier if it did. Havent really used the Robo software but might give it a go - 2 seemed enough to be going on with iykwim

View Gallery

I don't have grids on my CS either, that's why I use Set Origin so much.

Here are a couple of tutorials that might help http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards/...d.php?t=249997

http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards/...d.php?t=296623 If you are going to try this use a pen a few times to get a feel for how it works.

I have contacted GAmerica and asked if they can add this to the Studio software for people that don't have CSheets with grids.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks Lucille,

will go and have a look at them now

x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I always wondered that button (set origin) did but never dared poke it just in case - can see that being really useful

Many thanks for your time and help

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by limarie View Post
    I always wondered that button (set origin) did but never dared poke it just in case - can see that being really useful

Many thanks for your time and help
    I'm not like that I'll play with anything, though confess I often take the blade out of the machine just in case it springs to life and starts trying to cut nothing or in some cases because I expect it to start trying to cut and I'm too mean to waste either my blade or paper.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I,ve only had it about a week so still trying to find my feet with it - gotta cofess the 1st time I used I wasnt prepared for the noise, you can still see the finger nail marks in the ceiling lol.

Another question if I may - how do i post a template. I have the robo shoe box download but still found it a bit flimsy so have made some strengtheners for the lid and base and thought I would post them on the off chance anyone else might find them useful (not including robo's actual box template).

Thanks

View Gallery

You upload cutting files in the template section, start a new thread, type your message, scroll down and click on the Manage Attachment button then from there it's pretty straightforward.

I thought at first the machine would make a quiet shushing sound as it would glide around the design !!! no it is quite noisy, but you get used to it.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks for all your help - have uploaded the file

x