Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Program advice: No squabbling!

Ladies and gents..
    Not having used my dear craft robo for about 2.5 years I really do want start up again (I think this is my 3rd attempt).
    I will have to download the newest drivers I believe.

My main question is.. and I've seen squabbling here and dont want it.
    I am good with computers and software so not phased but I have
    RM (first version that you had to buy)
    Inkscape (old version but can upgrade)

I now understand there is SS - and I dont have that.

Not fazed by computing etc -sooooo, which is recommended please?

Many thanks

View Gallery

Silhouette software.

I've been playing around with Silhouette Software this morning and I have to say I've found it the easiest one to design with. I've got the latest Robomaster Software 5.10 but since downloading SS I haven't used anything else. Welcome to the forum, what ever you choose to use in the way of softeware you will get any help you need on this site.

Silhouette Software is free!

Myra

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I'm not sure that you had to buy Robomaster at any time or do you mean Designmaster which you did have to buy?
    I mostly Inkscape (version 0.48). I also have SS on my computer although it is fairly new to me and doesn't do as much as Inkscape (there are some tuts in the tutorial section) you can't save SS files as GSD's they have to be saved as Studio files.

really scrappy scrapper sheilaj's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    I couldn't get on with robo very well at all till I started using SS, cannot make head or tail of inkscape. I am pretty computer savvy but it defeated me.
    SS is free and IMO would provide a good jumping off point. Inkscape is also free so you could graduate to it if you wished.
    DJG makes the important point that files designed in SS can only be used in SS.
    Tee Hee I am now retired
    Swaps: Handmade/Layered Flowers Swap sent 12,05.10

Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - Fuschia's Avatar
    View Gallery

I'm the same as Doreen. I use Inkscape quite a lot, Robomaster 4.1 and I have downloaded the Silhouette studio software too. I don't use Studio because it doesn't have the functionality to save to GSD, but it does look like a fairly good program.

I would download the latest version of Robomaster here http://downloads.graphtecgb.com/support/

and you may as well download the silhouette studio too to have a play with from here http://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software.aspx

Hope that helps a little.

Dedicated Scrapper heather belle's Avatar
    View Gallery

I would recommend the SS. I was at the point of buying another cutting system, but downloaded this one and haven't looked back! I never got on with inkscape when I tried it and never had Designmaster, only the simple one which it came with (which drove me crazy because you could only 'undo' once!!!!).

To me the benefit (and what I like best about it) is that it gives you two worlds - the ability to create your own things fairly easily but also there are very many files that you can buy, if wanted, from their website. I have bought their designs to use as they are, to 'learn' from them or to use as a base for my own designs. No different than people buying carts for their cutting machines (except for the fact that you just get what you want at a very cheap price).

Good luck with restarting.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by heather belle View Post
    I would recommend the SS. I was at the point of buying another cutting system, but downloaded this one and haven't looked back! I never got on with inkscape when I tried it and never had Designmaster, only the simple one which it came with (which drove me crazy because you could only 'undo' once!!!!).

To me the benefit (and what I like best about it) is that it gives you two worlds - the ability to create your own things fairly easily but also there are very many files that you can buy, if wanted, from their website. I have bought their designs to use as they are, to 'learn' from them or to use as a base for my own designs. No different than people buying carts for their cutting machines (except for the fact that you just get what you want at a very cheap price).

Good luck with restarting.
    I haven't got Designmaster but I thought this software was one that was paid for and Robomaster came with the machine.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Z&N View Post
    Ladies and gents..
    Not having used my dear craft robo for about 2.5 years I really do want start up again (I think this is my 3rd attempt).
    I will have to download the newest drivers I believe.

Many thanks
    In your shoes I would download the Studio software, you can do quite a lot of everyday things in it, easily, and that is the point, once confident again then try any of the other softwares that allow you to do more, I find if you get put off in the early stages the machine goes away never to emerge again.
    Also you dont need to save to GSD, because the machine can cut straight from Studio, no need to open Robo softare at all, and I have found it cuts smoother and quicker than it did in the Robo Software
    Give it a try look at the vids and written lessons for it on here, then weld some words etc and cut, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to use
    Good luck, not that you will need it
    June

Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - Fuschia's Avatar
    View Gallery

That's right Doreen, I think Heather Belle must have meant Robomaster that came with the machine.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Fuschia View Post
    That's right Doreen, I think Heather Belle must have meant Robomaster that came with the machine.
    Thanks Anne I thought I was missing out on something

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I'm still running Robomaster 5.1 which came with my Silhouette but I do love Studio, I find it more precise and gives a better cut. I save everything into RM so I have a GSD copy of my files and then transfer to Studio so I have a copy of the file there also. Mind you, I haven't done the designing bit yet, I need to get round to reading some of the tutorials.

The thing is when I bought the Silhouette it came with a download card for $200 so I downloaded designs from the online store. After that I took out an unlimited subscription which I got for half price so have never felt the need to design anything. The only thing which would get me to do it would be just for the fun of it I think.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Silhouette for me too. I had robo at christmas and found it hard to get off the ground with robo ...not very forgiving of mistakes as one undo was never enough LOL

Cutting is simpler with SS too. I believe they are soon coming out with an English version which may fix the discrepancy in the carrier sheet sizing compared to UK carrier sheets/paper sizes.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    I Would try any of the free softwares I am sure there is one there that will suit you in someway or another.. and there is always someone on hand to help should you get stuck..

It really is personal choice
    Tina craft robo

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I think Tina is spot on here. I have Inkscape which I've never got on with yet found Xara Xtreme easier to use. I've only ever got as far as welding words by the way. A lot of people used to say (if I remember correctly) that Inkscape was better for cutting with than RM but now Studio is here and it gives a really smooth cut. Now if only they would change things so it could save as GSD's I think it would make a lot of people happy.

So, as Tina says, they're free try them until you find one you really feel happy with.

View Gallery

The bottom line is would you rather have free software or don't you mind paying for it and upgrades.

If it's free then Inkscape and Studio if you want to pay for software there is more choice, but those don't do anything you can't do with the free ones.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"