Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by cattiegracie View Post
    maybe because I have no free memory space, so I am having to buy 2gb and I'll have to take out the 2 x 512 so it will be a bit of a waste, but it seems to be the only way to go, I don't know if the price will be anything to do with the fact it is the kind of Dell you choose how it is built IYKWIM and i'm sure the fact it is about 5 years old may have something to do with it.
    RAM for your Dell is expensive because it has moved to legacy status. It uses DDR RAM which is the most basic available. Sadly your motherboard will not be able to take newer RAM like DDR2 or DDR3 which is far cheaper. I'm using DDR3 which costs about £16 for 2GB and performs at about 4 times the speed of the DDR RAM you are using.

Upgrading with new RAM would be ok, however you are probably only going to extend the computers usability by a year or so.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Thanks for the info Sir Bunnyworth, but I don't understand the workings too much, but what I have figured out with the help of PC Health Advisor, is my processor is working at 1/2 to full capacity most of the time, if getting more memory would help take the load of the processor it would maybe be worth it, but if it didn't then I would maybe be wasting money, and if that's the case then I shall have to wait on a lottery win.
    Grace I'm getting there, 1 step at a time

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Last week I had a problem with my p.c. slowing down and a message that my hard drive was almost full.

So after deleting programs I was not really using, going through system restore I recoved hardly anything. In desperation when I clicked on 'disc cleanup' for the third or fourth time instead of leaving it at the default settings I clicked on every little box. Wow what a difference I got back two thirds of my hard drive. It was all those temporary window files left on my hard drive which caused the problem.

I found the disc clean up in properties of 'my computer'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    Last week I had a problem with my p.c. slowing down and a message that my hard drive was almost full.

So after deleting programs I was not really using, going through system restore I recoved hardly anything. In desperation when I clicked on 'disc cleanup' for the third or fourth time instead of leaving it at the default settings I clicked on every little box. Wow what a difference I got back two thirds of my hard drive. It was all those temporary window files left on my hard drive which caused the problem.

I found the disc clean up in properties of 'my computer'.
    I use CCleaner a free download which does a good fast clean, I always found the pc disk cleaner very slow, I also have PC Health advisor which cleans as well.
    I bet you were glad to get a big bit of your disk back Neries, more room for SS files

View Gallery

I use CCleaner as well on a regular basis Grace and I also have SmartDefrag which runs on start up, but I still look in on it regularly and get it to do an analysis which usually results in a fast optimise and defrag as I do a lot of saves, so my HDD is kept pretty tidy. I've never had a need to use system restore, hopefully I won't ever have to.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Grace and Lucille I have got and used CCleaner but it did not find all these temporary files. The disc cleanup only took a couple of minutes to check my hard drive and then when I clicked delete the files it was done in seconds.

View Gallery

Strange if always finds and gets rid of mine, heaven knows it takes long enough for it to get through that part, do you shut down your browser when using CC?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

You need preferably 15% free space on your hard drive to allow Windows to comfortably move files around. If you have an SSD drive this isn't so much of a problem though.

Grace and Lucille I have got and used CCleaner but it did not find all these temporary files. The disc cleanup only took a couple of minutes to check my hard drive and then when I clicked delete the files it was done in seconds.
    Make sure and close all your open browsers before running CCleaner, it does clean temporary files (Scroll down to the System section and make sure its checked).

If you want to clean even more programs Google for a program called CCEnhancer, its made by SingularLabs. It adds many more cleaning rules for popular software.

View Gallery

If you want to clean even more programs Google for a program called CCEnhancer, its made by SingularLabs. It adds many more cleaning rules for popular software.[/QUOTE]

I shall look into that Sir bunnyworth, thats a h***ava big name you've got

View Gallery

Thanks for sharing that SirB, I've just been and looked and it's now installed. I wonder if I've got some kind of OCD when it comes to protecting and cleaning my HDD's