Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    I will be thin ... I will Dee100's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Christmas Cards do you work with a theme?

Hi all

I am slowing working through the 70+ Christmas cards I make every year, very early for me

I just wondered how you tackle your cards, do you have a theme, a colour, a product, is every one individual or do you make a few of a design.

I do like making Christmas cards but for some reason it always end up as a chore (perhaps because I don't start early enough) how do you work?

x

Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I don't have as many as that to make, so each of mine is individual or I may use scraps from one while they are still out to make up another similar card.

If I had that many to do, I would probably see about doing a couple of designs where I could get the most out of a sheet of paper/card and do 10 or whatever of the same design - and keep the truly individual ones to give to close friends and family who I know will appreciate the effort.

It's more fun that way - I can't do bulk series of a design as I just find it chore like you say, so thankfully with a shorter christmas card list I can still do individual cards and keep the fun going.

~ Natty ~

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I use a few designs which I then usually make into packs (unassembled) for school Christmas Fayre. The children then make up the cards while parents are enjoying a quiet coffee.

Must admit I hope lots don't sell cos I can then use these personally! Is that selfish?

Denise

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mystik Nat View Post
    I don't have as many as that to make, so each of mine is individual or I may use scraps from one while they are still out to make up another similar card.

If I had that many to do, I would probably see about doing a couple of designs where I could get the most out of a sheet of paper/card and do 10 or whatever of the same design - and keep the truly individual ones to give to close friends and family who I know will appreciate the effort.

It's more fun that way - I can't do bulk series of a design as I just find it chore like you say, so thankfully with a shorter christmas card list I can still do individual cards and keep the fun going.
    Hi

Do you set off with an overall design and adapt for each card, do you use up your old stash or get something new each year?

I am making up to 5 of a design I really like but I feel I am not putting any soul into it and even rope DH into getting a production line going with me.

I do make about ten special ones but even then I wonder if the recipients 'get it' certainly my older relatives would not have any idea of the work or thought that goes into them. I do try to adapt the card to the receiver but I think I am almost saying I wonder if it is worth it for me or should I buy next year and just make a smaller number. I know, I know only I can answer that.

x

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Deniserobson1 View Post
    I use a few designs which I then usually make into packs (unassembled) for school Christmas Fayre. The children then make up the cards while parents are enjoying a quiet coffee.

Must admit I hope lots don't sell cos I can then use these personally! Is that selfish?

Denise
    Gosh that is so kind of you, what a good idea. Selfish no way, hope you do get some over.

x

So many ideas, so little time .... Mole's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I tend to makae a pile of any of my 'stuff' which I think might be useful for Christmas cards and then just take a very loose, ad hoc approach! ? Although if I find something that works, I might make a couple more in a similar style, it's fair to say no two of my cards are ever the same!

Member of the BLUE BRADS and SCRAP & TICKLE teams.
    http://molescreations.blogspot.com/

Dedicated Scrapper mad about cats's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    I make about 150 cards at Christmas but I start around May time it works out that I can do 1 or 2 a week. I dont have a theme at all, I make so many with one stamp and so many with another and everyone has different backing papers and ribbons.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    I tend to makae a pile of any of my 'stuff' which I think might be useful for Christmas cards and then just take a very loose, ad hoc approach! ? Although if I find something that works, I might make a couple more in a similar style, it's fair to say no two of my cards are ever the same!
    I agree no two cards are usually alike for me either, I start a couple of cards which I think are going to be the same only to find the background paper was the last in the book or the ribbon has just finished on the roll

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mad about cats View Post
    I make about 150 cards at Christmas but I start around May time it works out that I can do 1 or 2 a week. I dont have a theme at all, I make so many with one stamp and so many with another and everyone has different backing papers and ribbons.
    Oh my word 150! I would have to start each New Years day to complete that many, I don't stamp very much at all, I do have a couple of stamps but nothing very tasty. I tend to do paper piecing using my Craft Robo and thank all the clever ladies (and men) who give their designs freely on UKS.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    I'm a production line girl for most of mine, I probably make 300 odd, because over the years I have started to make for my family to send out as well. Of those there are probably 10-15 bulk designs and many unique cards.

20 cards with trains on for my dad - each the same
    60 cards for me to send to general people - probably one of 4 or 5 designs, often done with die cutting to save on purchases
    40 cards for my brother to send - different from mine as similar recipients, usually a completely different colour way, again die cut or stamping
    100 cards for my parents to send out - different again, often simple using lovely patterned papers and a simple message
    20 extra special cards - each unique for various people abroad, using unique element such as chipboard shapes, thickers, embellishments I've bought
    20 fat cards for local delivery - this is where I go crazy and have my cards as layered an ott as possible, fat ribbon bows, chipboard 3d foam.

Unique cards only come about because of the limits of embellishements. I don't like making christmas cards but people expect hand done. I start in January and I'm usually finished in August except for the train cards which always get done last minute (I also have to do train birthday cards too)

Let the good times roll......... CraftyPrincess's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (26)
    I only make a few handmade ones now, (around 40 ish) because I just don't have time but to save more time I usually pick a theme or design and stick with it. Doesn't mean they all have to be exactly the same but it just makes it easier to make lots without having to think up a design each time. I did Christmas jumpers last year using a Crafty Template and lots of scrap paper leftovers and a little bit of ribbon and some embellishments cut out of paper. I stamped the message on the card blanks first then cut out the jumpers from patterned paper scraps and added one to each card then added the different embellishments to each one.

I'll probably be doing something similar this year but I haven't picked a design yet I'm not 'doing' Christmas till beginning of next week because I've had to do loads of Christmas stuff for work since July If I start my own stuff too early I just don't enjoy it as much.
    Leo

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Fifi-T View Post
    I'm a production line girl for most of mine, I probably make 300 odd, because over the years I have started to make for my family to send out as well. Of those there are probably 10-15 bulk designs and many unique cards.

20 cards with trains on for my dad - each the same
    60 cards for me to send to general people - probably one of 4 or 5 designs, often done with die cutting to save on purchases
    40 cards for my brother to send - different from mine as similar recipients, usually a completely different colour way, again die cut or stamping
    100 cards for my parents to send out - different again, often simple using lovely patterned papers and a simple message
    20 extra special cards - each unique for various people abroad, using unique element such as chipboard shapes, thickers, embellishments I've bought
    20 fat cards for local delivery - this is where I go crazy and have my cards as layered an ott as possible, fat ribbon bows, chipboard 3d foam.

Unique cards only come about because of the limits of embellishements. I don't like making christmas cards but people expect hand done. I start in January and I'm usually finished in August except for the train cards which always get done last minute (I also have to do train birthday cards too)
    Ok you get the prize for quantity so far , 300 goodness me you must be very disciplined getting them done throughout the year.

Do you make boxes for your special cards?

x

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by CraftyPrincess View Post
    I only make a few handmade ones now, (around 40 ish) because I just don't have time but to save more time I usually pick a theme or design and stick with it. Doesn't mean they all have to be exactly the same but it just makes it easier to make lots without having to think up a design each time. I did Christmas jumpers last year using a Crafty Template and lots of scrap paper leftovers and a little bit of ribbon and some embellishments cut out of paper. I stamped the message on the card blanks first then cut out the jumpers from patterned paper scraps and added one to each card then added the different embellishments to each one.

I'll probably be doing something similar this year but I haven't picked a design yet I'm not 'doing' Christmas till beginning of next week because I've had to do loads of Christmas stuff for work since July If I start my own stuff too early I just don't enjoy it as much.
    Love them, so cute. Do you stamp your words or have you put them through a printer? Christmas in July poor you, yes I can understand you not wanting to start your cards too early.

x

really scrappy scrapper sheilaj's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    When we sent loads, I used to buy for the work ones and only make for friends and family. I make around 20 now and will be starting any day soon. During the summer I make for a friend of mine's fair, loads and loads of anything I fancy making and this tends to focus me on what I want to do for my own cards i will probably do 2 or 3 themes or colour schemes but each one would be slightly different. I am totally selfish i make the cards for fun for me so if any part of it would be no fun, i don't do it. that rules out production lines, bulk makes and so on
    Tee Hee I am now retired
    Swaps: Handmade/Layered Flowers Swap sent 12,05.10

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee100 View Post
    Ok you get the prize for quantity so far , 300 goodness me you must be very disciplined getting them done throughout the year.

Do you make boxes for your special cards?

x
    I tend to use expandable envelopes if I can get them. Making envelopes a second resort and boxes a final resort. I do all of my cards throughout the year (quite literally in december if the mood strikes me I'll make next years cards), I couldn't come close if I started now.

This years regular cards are really simple, and were made using embellishment kits from lakeland which I paid 25p per pack for in a clearance sale one time. I got 10 cards out of each pack, comprising 3 different designs.

This years special cards are made from MME papers from last year (I've seen a few bits from Nat). Such cute papers.