Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by philk View Post
    Hi Lucille

We will be keeping RoboMaster and DesignMaster as well as the new Silhouette Studio software.

*Silhouette Studio will import GSD files, so they are all cuttable from the SS software.

We are also working with several other software companies, so look out for some well known names driving the CraftRobo in the future.

As you know, our policy is and always has been to give you the widest choice possible, after all,everybody has their own favourites.

Phil
    Anne did you see this post? It could mean anything, but sounds like plug-ins.

I will repeat what I said before regarding this comment * "just don't save the file unless you have made a copy" or you can kiss it goodbye as far as RoboMaster is concerned.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - Fuschia's Avatar
    View Gallery

Yes, I saw it Lucille. Sounds a bit vague to me at the moment. I don't see why they're looking to bring out new software, if it aint broke and all that. I don't understand why they can't just upgrade what we already have

I don't think I'll be downloading this silhouette software, cos I may just open one of my files in it by mistake then I'd be furious with myself.

really scrappy scrapper sheilaj's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    He explained why you can't export files, its to protect the purchased designs...as you said, you need to duplicate the file and rename one for SS, keeping the other as your safety copy.
    Tee Hee I am now retired
    Swaps: Handmade/Layered Flowers Swap sent 12,05.10

View Gallery

Silhouette Studio

I have the 1st generation Silhouette which is the same as the 2nd Generation Craft Robo the Grey lidded model.

When I was informed about the Studio software I did download it and realised that it was a seperate programme from my Robomaster software, so I still had the Robomaster Icon and now a New icon called Silhouette Studio on my desktop screen.

I quickly learnt that some of my downloaded GSD files would not open in the Silhouette software after I dragged and dropped them into the library section, my designs that I designed using the Robomaster 5.1 version were ok to drag and drop and saying that quite a few of the designs downloaded from the older Robomaster I was able to import. There is a glitch in the programme that is being tackled, but I have to admit I haven't tried importing anymore files with the latest update version 1.0.11 so this could be old news that I'm talking about....What a lot of Silhouette owners are doing at the moment is downloading files via their Robomaster software and then importing into the Silhouette Studio software, so that means at the moment we have 2 version of the same files........
    Last edited by Angel13; 09-10-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - Fuschia's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by sheilaj View Post
    He explained why you can't export files, its to protect the purchased designs...as you said, you need to duplicate the file and rename one for SS, keeping the other as your safety copy.
    Yes, I understand that Sheila, the bit that I was commenting on when I said 'if it aint broke' was when Phil said

We are also working with several other software companies, so look out for some well known names driving the CraftRobo in the future.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Fuschia View Post
    I may just open one of my files in it by mistake then I'd be furious with myself.
    I agree that bothers me, saying to make a copy is one thing forgetting to do it is another. Probably not so bad for me but for someone selling files could be weeks of work down the pan.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    what sounded like a good idea at the start, for me personally, is rapidly going downhill.
    Think I'll stick to what I've got, but this is a very interesting discussion.
    Grace I'm getting there, 1 step at a time

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I downloaded this the other day and have had a little play- I mean it's free so why not try. I also have about 10 other programs ( I know sheer greed) so it's really curiosity. It doesn't interfere with Robomaster so you can use either or; no need to uninstall Robomaster, or change your settings.
    I used an image from the Silhouette library, welded it to a word, made a separate mat and cut it out no problem.
    It can't do print and cut of your own imported files, or autotrace as far as I can see; I know they're working on it. At the moment you'd have to set up the reg marks manually( in inches) so that it acts like a Robo and I couldn't be bothered at the time. I'm using the 2005 blue lidded model which is still going strong,( whilst the grey lidded one is sulking in the box!!) and it cut just fine. I'll keep it as an extra program to play with for now - it's certainly got a lot more bells and whistles than Robomaster and I think it more or less includes what most beginners would want from a software program. It's a lot more straightforward than Design Master .. so it'll be interesting to see where they're going with it.

View Gallery

Silhouette Studio Latest Update....

Hi All

Just a quick noe to say there is another update available on the Silhouette America site, the latest update version is now 1.0.15 its seems like all the updates are available from the website and not on the Update button that is part of the Silhouette software at the moment.
    Have yet to work how what the latest update fixes, but I'm sure someone somewhere will be testing it out, will keep you all updated where I can.....

Would post a link but not sure if its permissible....

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I downloaded the update and don't see any difference except perhaps the button to open GSD files . I opened all the GSD files I tried - strange thing is that when I imported them the size of the cutting area changed to a thin rectangle - so had to press the 'default' button to get it back to size. I noticed that the files all imported 'in pieces' so had to do a select and group before being able to move them around without losing bits in the process.
    Being the usual clever clogs I decided to experiment:
    drew and welded my own shapes and saved as .studio files. Made a copy and changed the extension to .GST then copied and pasted into the Robomaster library file ( couldn't find the library file in the Silhouette program folder!), then hit import ROBO master files and it showed up in my library in the Silhouette. Bit round the moon but it works and there's probably a button in Silhouette for saving your own shapes to the library.
    Any hoo .. then went back to my second copy and changed the file format to .GSD. Opened Robomaster and tried to import the file but even if the extension is valid Robomaster sees this as ' made in a newer version' .. so even if Silhouette studio saved in .GSD format, as SS is considered a later version of the same program ( just like a file made in in RM version 5.1 can't be opened in v. 4.4 unless you convert it) you can't open the files.
    If the clever person who made the .GSD converter program could apply this technique to .Studio files after we've changed the extension to .GSD then files made in SS could be shared.
    I read somewhere that tracing for print and cut and another feature should arrive in an update about November; but there's so much 'info' flying around that I wonder if it's all true.
    I must say that if the idea is to gradually replace Robomaster with SS, anyone buying a machine now will get a program that really allows you to be creative.
    Another thing I noticed about SS is that it cuts on the WYSIWYG idea - if the line is dashed it cuts dashed, if the line style is solid you get a straight cut. Robomaster cuts by colour so I was looking everywhere for the cutting settings button!!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I downloaded Silhouette Studio and gave it a workout and I think it is a brilliant program. I updated it yesterday to version 1.0.15. It does do print and cut but you have to outline things yourself but everything seems to be so easy to do. If MO927 is reading this if you haven't already, download this program and it will solve your gradient fill problem I have never used a program that can do gradient fills like this program does so you can do everything within the program. Like everyone says it does not save in GSD which is a shame and does not autotrace and cut by colour but I think Phil said they are looking into these features, but hey what do you want for nothing it's early days. It is well worth a try just make sure you use (save as) so you do not over rite your original GSD if you have used one.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Interesting reading!

I've ploughed through this thread a couple of times and tied myself in knots trying to work out what software to load with my new Robo. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and opinions in one place - opening one window after another in my browser as I skip from Silhouette to Graphtec and beyond was getting to be a challenge!!

I've now got the latest Robomaster, the latest Silhouette s/w and Inkscape. Any recommendations about what else to equip myself with will be gratefully received because I recognise how quickly all of this information changes as the software is further developed.

Without a community like this, we'd be lost. Thank you for sharing - at some point, I hope to be able to return the favour ;-)

Gill

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I use Inkscape (most of the time and Robomaster (occasionally) so you should be all set to go.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks!

Doreen, that's good to know. Inkscape looks a great program and more accessible than AI and suchlike. Don't really need more of a challenge than I've got already!

Thank you for sharing your experience...very much appreciated by this novice

Gill

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    One of the great things about Inkscape is that it's FREE and the fact that you can cut directly from it instead of loading the file into Robomaster to cut