Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Question Craft Robo, Mac and Silhouette Studio Software

OK. I have been dithering about buying a Craft Robo for about 7 months now, mostly because I have a Mac but not Illustrator. Buying AI to run a Robo doesn't seem very cost effective!

So, what I do have is:
    a Mac
    Inkscape
    Adobe Photoshop Elements
    Craft Robo plugin for Illustrator

and what I can get is:
    the new Silhouette software for Mac, which came out last week; and
    a Craft Robo.

After some internet research, it would seem that the plugins for AI may also work with Photoshop Elements. Has anyone tried this? The plugin will open on my machine, but without a Robo to connect it to, I don't know if it works.

So my two questions are:
    1. Will the AI plugin work in Photoshop Elements, and can you cut with it?
    2. Has anyone tried the Silhouette software on their Robo, and does it work?

Hope y'all can help,

Margaret

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Welcome to UKS Magaret..

Can't help with mac Sorry Someone will be along to help you I am sure
    Tina craft robo

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mfhreid View Post
    So my two questions are:
    1. Will the AI plugin work in Photoshop Elements, and can you cut with it?
    2. Has anyone tried the Silhouette software on their Robo, and does it work?

Hope y'all can help,

Margaret
    1. What are you hoping to use PE for? If it is making cutting files it doesn't work it is a program for using mostly with photos and makes raster files, you need software that creates vector files. You will have RoboMaster which comes with the machine and Inkscape which is free and cuts directly to the CR.

The extra advantage to getting the CR is the GUK Crafty Club when you register your machine you will get 2 years warranty and their service and support is second to none, they also sponsor the CR forums on UKScrappers for us.
    2. CR and Sil use the same software called RoboMaster and are the same machine. The Sil software is slightly different in that it has a button to connect you to the Sil site where you buy files for cutting but if you can make your own what's the point, other than their version of RM isn't any different to what we use, in fact we got version 5.1 before they did.

The advantage to getting a CR is you can register your machine with GUK, join the Crafty Club and get 2 years guarantee and their support and service is second to none and you get free P&P and 10% discount on all consumables.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

1. What are you hoping to use PE for? If it is making cutting files it doesn't work it is a program for using mostly with photos and makes raster files, you need software that creates vector files. You will have RoboMaster which comes with the machine and Inkscape which is free and cuts directly to the CR.
    Good point! I hadn't thought of that; that's why I'm askin'! I was hoping to use PE as a substitute for AI - not for the art part, but for the plug-in part, if that makes any sense. I.e., can I use Inkscape for the art and PE & plugin to drive the CR?

2. CR and Sil use the same software called RoboMaster and are the same machine.
    I understand that CR and Sil are the same machine, but my understanding is that RoboMaster won't work on a Mac without AI and a plugin. Hence all the questions.

I do not plan to purchase a Silhouette; the CR is better value for money, shall we say.

TYVM,
    Margaret

View Gallery

Good point! I hadn't thought of that; that's why I'm askin'! I was hoping to use PE as a substitute for AI - not for the art part, but for the plug-in part, if that makes any sense. I.e., can I use Inkscape for the art and PE & plugin to drive the CR?

TYVM,
    Margaret
    PE won't be a substitute for AI one makes raster files and the other makes vector files, they are different types of graphic programs, you need vector file format, so the plug in for PS isn't going to help unless they have changed PS and you can draw vector lines now. My old copy of PS is just strictly for photos and I've never used it for my CR designs, in fact I wasn't that impressed with it for photos, so stuck with PSP for those.

You can use Inkscape to both art and to draw or trace cutting files and cut directly to a CR without plugins, does that help?

I'm sure we have a couple of mac users, hopefully they will see your post and advise how they manage, I'm sure from memory it involves another piece of software have you tried doing a search for 'mac'? That might turn something useful up.

View Gallery

I've just done a search and unless GUK have made changes they haven't informed us about, you can't use the CR with a Mac so I guess your best bet would be the Sil.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (59)
    I'd try it out if I had a Robo...so maybe someone who does have the Robo could give it a whirl?

I don't think you actually have to register a Silhouette machine to install the Studio software - there is an option "already registered" when it prompts for the serial number during installation . With RoboMaster, I had to select a machine when I first did the output settings, but with the new software you don't have to specify a machine at all, so maybe it would be happy to function with a Robo connected?

BTW, the main disadvantage that I see with the Silhouette Studio software so far is that you can't save as a .GSD - it saves in a .STUDIO format.
    : o 0 PETRA 0 o :
    August 2013 week 1 challenge
    July 2013 1 x SLO= 10 points

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post
    I'd try it out if I had a Robo...so maybe someone who does have the Robo could give it a whirl?

I don't think you actually have to register a Silhouette machine to install the Studio software - there is an option "already registered" when it prompts for the serial number during installation . With RoboMaster, I had to select a machine when I first did the output settings, but with the new software you don't have to specify a machine at all, so maybe it would be happy to function with a Robo connected?

BTW, the main disadvantage that I see with the Silhouette Studio software so far is that you can't save as a .GSD - it saves in a .STUDIO format.
    More stupid file formats to try and force crafters to buy X machine and X software, I really can't be bothered with it all.

I wonder if you can print to Cute PDF from this software, umm might look into that tonight and report back findings.
    Last edited by Lucille; 01-10-2010 at 09:33 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    The installation disc which came with my Craft Robo CC300-20 has printed on it Windows and Macintosh. The program files on the disc include Cutting Master 2 Install when using the Illustrator/CorelDraw.

Hope this helps.

I did take a print screen shot in paint, but sorry can't find the file to add as an attachment.

Found it in pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Neries; 01-10-2010 at 09:05 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I've just done a search and unless GUK have made changes they haven't informed us about, you can't use the CR with a Mac so I guess your best bet would be the Sil.
    Bon Bon has her Robo on her Mac, she uses Parallels, may be she could help, I think she is on holiday just now.
    Grace I'm getting there, 1 step at a time

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by cattiegracie View Post
    Bon Bon has her Robo on her Mac, she uses Parallels, may be she could help, I think she is on holiday just now.
    Thanks Grace that sparked a memory of discussions ages ago, well worth doing a search of the forum to bring the old discussions to the fore.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Petra View Post

Hi Petra

They are working on the DXF feature that was available in the Robomaster version which should be available in November. Once the little kinks are worked out, the software is as close to Inkscape as you can get and the Mac owners seem to be having more fun with it at the moment. Keep checking your update feature.

View Gallery

I tried out this software last night and it's an easy to use, nice to work with, but like any software you have to learn it.

There were a couple of things I didn't like, the window opens to fill the screen even on minimised and I hate having to resize windows before I can work on them. The stroke colour preferences only give you the choice of red or grey, personally I prefer black and the rest is my choice and of course there is the file format for saves, no good for the CR. I did try to print using CutePDF but they have blocked that, so forget it unless I missed something.

Over all opinion I liked it, nice colour palette, the interface is pleasing to the eye, no gimmicky bells and whistles you are only going to use once in a blue moon unless you count the pattern fills, printing your own paper makes crafting quite expensive when you can cut from the patterned paper you have in your stash. For what it's worth as long as it stays free and upgrades are free I would use it.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks everyone for all your comments, but unfortunately I'm still none the wiser.

I should have mentioned in my first post that I do NOT want to run Windows emulation software, as that would involve both further expense (a copy of Windoze), and running Windows.

Basically what I'm trying to find out is how can I use a CR with a Mac - without Windows or Illustrator?

Can you cut from Inkscape - on a Mac.
    Can you use the Silhouette Studio software on a CR?
    Does it matter what the file format is for the CR (i.e. .studio or .gsd)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to buy a giant paperweight!

TYVM,

Margaret

View Gallery

Thanks everyone for all your comments, but unfortunately I'm still none the wiser.

I should have mentioned in my first post that I do NOT want to run Windows emulation software, as that would involve both further expense (a copy of Windoze), and running Windows.

Basically what I'm trying to find out is how can I use a CR with a Mac - without Windows or Illustrator?

Can you cut from Inkscape - on a Mac.
    Can you use the Silhouette Studio software on a CR?
    Does it matter what the file format is for the CR (i.e. .studio or .gsd)?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to buy a giant paperweight!

TYVM,

Margaret
    From everything you say I would say no you can't use a CR, you could try contacting GUK and ask if they have anything in the immediate pipeline for MACs.