Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lost among the Land Rovers sarahbert1536's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)

Scrapping the same things

Does anyone else feel like they are scrapping the same things time and time again?
    I don't have kids and it seems like the things that we do are the same year after year or at least variations on the same theme. I've also been scrapping long enough now that I've scrapped a fair few of the childhood photos and the pre-digital pile as also yielded most the must scrap photos.
    I want to scrap though so does anyone else feel like this and more to the point does anyone have any ideas how I can break out of this rut?
    Sarah - My Blog

2013 LOs = 144 so far

Dedicated Scrapper susiescrapper's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    When I feel like this, I make some off the page stuff. it still gives me the creative outlet and you can make some really pretty things for your home or to give to friends and family. Split Coast Stampers have loads of ideas with tutorials and even some videos. Just an idea hope it helps. Susie x

Plant smiles, grow laughter, harvest love... dancingqueen's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Do you have a Book of Me on the go? A project like that provides endless opportunities for LOs......
    Or how about taking a class? Shimelle has lots of classes that might get you scrapping different topics.....

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (49)
    I got to that stage so slowed down on the scrapping and went back to cards etc. Problem is the cards took off financially and now I don't have time to scrap! Wish I did.

The book of me sounds a good idea. Or some fabby decorations for the house etc.

I'm a Scraphazard!!
    Eventually joined the blogging community!

Dedicated Scrapper YorkshireLass's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    What about doing gifts for other people using their photos? Like a mini book documenting the first year of a friend's child's life, or similar?
    Jules
    My Blog updated 11.7.15

View Gallery

Well I have a book of me and then the other scrapbooks that are also about me. I have hit a problem with my book of me in that I did it at an odd size 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 and have pretty much filled the two albums I have in this size to bursting point.
    I'm not really one for off the page stuff although I have altered a few things for my craft room. Oh and my family and friends don't seem to get it, or those that do are crafters themselves.
    I think that a part of the problem is that because I am fed up of scrapping the same things I've been taking less and less photos which of course compounds the problem. However since I posted the initial message I have been out for my daily walk and I took my camera with me which I don't normally do and have taken some pretty shots of autumn berries which as got me thinking. Reckon I'll be getting some photos printed this week, sadly can't print many myself anymore because my printer is getting passed it where photos are concerned
    Sarah - My Blog

2013 LOs = 144 so far

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I'm not a scrapper but was going to suggest working with photos of interesting plants, scenery, buildings, shapes or textures, cars??, etc.

I think there was someone on UKS who was doing a scrapbook of her local town or area. Where you live is definitely a background part of who you are! I remember when we were househunting many years ago we looked at one very old house, and the existing owners had researched its history, and would have passed on the results of their findings to us if we'd bought it.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

Dedicated Scrapper Voodoo Vixen's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    I think it is a natural enough problem, even with people with children... after all, they are the same kids, doing the same stuff... Easter, Halloween, Christmas, first day of school etc. I also start to do the off the page stuff if I am bored with normal scrapping - its a way of playing at scrapping without the 12 x 12 page of photo plus journalling!!
    Annette There are no mistakes in crafting... just opportunities for more embellishments!

Scrap Happens Here Blog

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    I'm not a scrapper but was going to suggest working with photos of interesting plants, scenery, buildings, shapes or textures, cars??, etc.
    Cars I do too much but I do like scrapping some odd things, I have several pages of carvings from gravestones. Perhaps I need to go and explore the churchyard again
    Sarah - My Blog

2013 LOs = 144 so far

I'm not a complete idiot; some parts are missing! Jimjams's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    Have you done some scrapbooking with your OH's vintage photos? It occurred to me the other day that I am doing a BOM, but I could also be doing a Book of Him too!
    Jemma
    ScrappyCat

Holiday Bus Hufflepuff ♥Hearts♥ •CSI• »Lions« ~~Ships~~ ♫ Jingle Belles ♫ ►Explorers◄
    SLYMI: 47/52....My blog

The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper! Dragonfly Jane's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (109)
    I get this feeling, I do think it's worst if you don't have children. With children you get the photos of different ages and all the activities they get up to plus it does give you a reason to scrap iykwim, there is someone who will hopefully enjoy all your hard work and scrapbooks in the future.

It cause me to have a big think over summer and I did go through a stage of wondering why I was bothering with scrapbooking as with no children, no one else is going to be bothered about what I've made, but then after thinking about it decided that just doing it for myself is enough because I enjoy it and after I've gone, well what does it matter, I'm doing it for the here and now and for me.

Still I do get the same problem of what to scrap, I have the double problem that I don't go out much and I haven't been on holiday for ages, I found that mostly I scrapped pictures of my dog or home/garden. Once I'd decided that I was scrapping purely for myself I just had to decide what I want to scrap that reflected my own interests and now I've got a list of ideas so if I get stuck I look at that.

On my list is
    Dogs, Family History, Home and Garden, Faith, Days Out, Photos that go with my favourite poems/songs, Hobbies like my dolls houses and also I've been upto my local churchyard (I'm another who loves cemeteries ) and took photos of each of the grave stones and I'm attempting to make a little book of it with details about the people they belong to, I've a feeling it will be a long job but I'm finding it interesting and already decided to do the local war memorial after I've done this. I also trying to do an album for my dad as a present for yule of his holiday photos.

Just wondering if making a list would help you too, just a list of what interests you most, doesn't matter if it's not something most people scrapbook, it's your album after all.
    Christmas Gift Bag Goodie Swap
    Christmas Stocking Swap

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly jane View Post
    I get this feeling, I do think it's worst if you don't have children. With children you get the photos of different ages and all the activities they get up to plus it does give you a reason to scrap iykwim, there is someone who will hopefully enjoy all your hard work and scrapbooks in the future.
    Yes, I was the same before I had a baby - felt like I was scrapping the same stuff all the time and looking for ideas of things to scrap. Now I have the ideal subject and loads of things to scrap...but sadly I no longer have the time to do it

Trish

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Have you tried scrapping 'no photos' style. I was sick of scrapping the same photos with the same stuff and now do about half of my pages 'no photos'. I do a monthly 'month in review' page and have done for well over a year now. It notes things that have happened in the month, that might be interesting, but didn't get a photo, or small snippets, like getting my hair cut, buying certain crafting stuff etc...

I include some examples of ones I'd photographed:

Another good thing, is that your pretty papers don't need to get covered up too much

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Fifi-T, I'm with you. I've done quite a few pages like this as well. There always seems to be something funny that crops up in the day to include.

I ran out of photos at one stage, having completely scrapped my life to that stage, so I spoke to my sister and got all of their photos of nieces and nephew (they have always lived away from us, so has been quite eye opening for me). So I have been plugging my way through those - luckily she agreed that she was going to pay for all the supplies, and I really am just supplying my time and creativity. So I have done 5 albums already, not sure how many to go.

I've stopped doing that now for a bit because we had our very first trip overseas and have nearly completed the 4 albums that was required for that project.

We don't have children or pets, so don't need to do anything like that.

My mother has only now given me all the heritage family photos, so that is going to be my next project, which will take up quite some time. I actually sat down with both of my parents and went through all the photos and recorded on a little tape recorder what they said about each one and who was in the photo etc, because there was certainly no way I was going to be able to remember everything that they said. So I have a little transcribing to do before I get started on those pages.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    What about joining a circle journal or a swap or something?

Good luck

Fiona