Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Question Cuttlebug advice please

Hi,

I'm quite new to card making. I do dog silhouettes that I trace from photos, so that each breed is anatomically correct and recognisable even as a silhouette. I have to cut each one by hand, which is time consuming and fiddly.

I've just stumbled across the cuttlebug machine and wonder if it will help me. I get how the embossing works- you sandwich the paper/card between a positive and negative image and squash it. But how does the die cutting work? I don't understand gow the shape is cut. Would I be able to make my own dies of the dogs I want?

Sorry if I'm being a bit dense, but the machines are quite expensive, so I don't want to buy one if it will end up being useless to me.

Help please!

Laura.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (51)
    Laura, the dies are sort of padded and then have a metal shape hidden away thats does the cut. I dont think you would be able to make your own dies, but perhaps someone else would be able to come along to tell us otherwise.
    12 day of Christmas swap

scrapping in the tropics, but my heart belongs in Wales arianwen's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Hi

The cutting dies work by having a blade in the shape of the image embedded in the foamy bit (if that makes sense)

There are a few dog dies I've seen, from different manufacturers, and the CB will be able to cut them all.

I think some people have had custom made dies, but it's not something I've looked into.

There is a CB social group where you will get loads more info
    Fairytales do not teach children that dragons exist. They already know that. Fairytales teach children that dragons can be conquered.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (29)
    I haven't had dies custom made but I would think it would be cheaper in the long run to buy a digital die cutter such as a Craft Robo or Cricut.

The craft robo is especially for creating your own cut files on the computer and cutting them, the cricut has cartridges available but you can get software called Sure Cuts A Lot or Make The Cut to enable you to design your own files and cut them like the craft robo.

Lots of us on here have one or other (or both) of these machines. I have both, but I prefer the cricut (though I just use it with cartridges at the moment) as I find that my robo doesn't like anything thicker than bazzil card.

Hope this helps you.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    You may find a craftrobo suits your needs better you can cut from your own designs with it

View Gallery

Hi everyone.

Thanks so much for your helpful replies! I shall investigate the cricut and craft robo machines and then, if that fails, have a look at getting my own dies made.

Laura.

Scrapper of all things DOG! DoggyScrapper's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    The cuttlebug will not cut anything other than the dies already made for the machine

The craft robo will 'print and cut' so all you would need to do is make the silhouette in the software that comes with the robo (tutorials on here) print it off to a normal printer, then put the paper inside the Robo and it'll cut the outline, along with many other things, the craft robo secion would be perfect for you to have a look through I have a CR so let me know if you have any questions
    My Creative Blog: Imaginary Night

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    As Doggyscrapper as already said have a look through the Robo chat section here

Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - Fuschia's Avatar
    View Gallery

Just to add one more plus for the craft robo. You can take a photo of the dog, insert the jpeg into the software, trace around it then cut on black card, that way you'll have an exact silhouette.

View Gallery

Thanks for all the help and advice, gang. It sounds like the Craft Robo is more what I need. Now i just have to find one I can afford!

Laura.

AKA CHARITYCRAFTER!....Using crafting to make a positive difference in the world! leighjones's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)

Thumbs up Craft robo

Hi I would agree about the craft robo x Other the past 3 years I have methodically downloaded as many free files for my personal use, as I could find on the internet, and now have 14,000 files!!!!!!!!! yes 14,000!!! I sometimes make my own too, and if I was a bit more determined to go through the helpful tutorials on here, I could make loads more, but dont see much point, as you can usually find the file for free x

I dont use the craft robo much as my crafting is mostly for charity and the blades are pretty expensive, and it is temperamental and often ruins cards, however having said that when I cant find something that I need, I can always rely on the craft robo to cut it x Sorry for long email x Leigh x
    Using crafting as a way to make a positive difference in the world!
    FIND MY CHARITY CRAFTING BLOG HERE

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!