Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Thread: shrink plastic

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

shrink plastic

Hi everyone

bought some shrink plastic ages ago and only just got a play yesterday.
    Youtubed a tutorial. all looked simple enough, I couldn't wait to get started.
    BUT when I came to colour in my image the colour went all blotchy. I was using a mixture of promarkers and copics.
    So went back to Youtube and re watched a couple of tutorials. most of the people seem to be using clear shrink plastic with a rough coating on the back and mine is smooth both sides.. Is this my problem?
    I so loved the outcome of one of the projects I did ( A little tag with initails stamped on ). that I really now want to try some of my stamps.
    The brand of shrink plastic I am using is Polyshrink artists grade.

which brand to other people use and don't have problems colouring in.

thanks in anticipation,, As I really would like to continue playing with shrink plastic.
    shirley

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (29)
    As yours is smooth on both sides I think you will probably need to give it a light sand to give you a key for colouring on. I just found this info but i think it was a shop in the US so don't think I can post an actual link to the page

Here are some tips for successful stamping with polyshrink:

If you are going to color your image with chalk or watercolor pencils, sand the sheet first with sandpaper in a crosshatch pattern.

Stamp the image onto the PolyShrink with Memories Black or Fabrico black ink. Heat set lightly with your heat tool (not enough to start the melting process, just enough to dry the ink so that it cannot be smeared while you are adding color).

Color the image with chalk, markers, or watercolor pencils. Remember, in the shrinking process, the colors will deepen quite a bit, so use light and pastel shades.

If you are not planning to color in a stamped image, sanding is not necessary. Simply stamp the image onto the PolyShrink with one or more colors of Memories ink. Also try coloring the rubber die of the stamp with several shades of pigmented markers and stamping it onto the PolyShrink.

Cut out the image just beyond the outer design line.

Punch holes in the image if desired for earrings or to add beads, etc. A 1/8" circle punch is perfect for a wire or thread opening. Remember, the size of the hole will shrink also.

Place the piece onto a piece of wax paper, wood or glass. Unbend a paper clip and use it as a tool for holding the piece in place while heating. Place your holding tool in the center of the piece. Apply heat from your heat tool. Heat until the image curls up into a ball and then opens back out again

Or...bake on a medium weight cardboard or teflon sheet. (Not on bare metal.) Bake in a regular or toaster oven at 300 to 350 degrees for approximately 3 minutes.

Expect PolyShrink to curl and move during baking or heating. Occasionally a piece may stick to itself as it shrinks. To separate, allow the piece to cool, and pull gently. You will hear a tiny "snap" as the joint comes apart. You can now reheat the piece and finish shrinking. Baked PolyShrink is very pliable while hot. It can be smoothed flat using cardboard or shaped over a variety of objects.

Add highlights with glitter glue, metallic rub-ons or pearl ex if desired.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    I usually spray mine with hairspray on the side I'm stamping/colouring to give it a key. Let it dry for a minute or so before working.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (90)
    I use the white one and sand it lightly then colour with chalks

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (35)
    Hi,
    I tend not to sand as ink can bleed into the sanding. I use stazon ink but obviously you can't use promarkers with this ink. Gwen xxx

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    hi
    thanks everyone for your replies.
    As I want to colour with promarkers, don't think sanding is an option, but will try that with chalks.
    The hairspray sounds good will give that a go.
    shirley

Scrapper of all things DOG! DoggyScrapper's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    i used memento ink on my shrink plastic (although im not sure of the name of it now) and coloured with my promarkers, I did find it didnt look at 'great' as if i was colouring on card, but when i baked it, the colours became more vibrant and did show up really nicely, i only had one go though, although im keen to try again!
    My Creative Blog: Imaginary Night