Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Question how do I make jpegs into gsd files please?

I am very new to the forum - and to my robo. I've used it about a dozen times with ready-made templates, and would like to be able to cut templates I've made in psp, but can only save them as jpeg files.
    I have no idea how to convert them into gsd files so I can use them with the robo. I've been told to use inkscape, which I downloaded - and am now more confused than ever!!
    Someone kindly converted one file for me but I have no idea how she did it and am only able to follow idiot instructions!!!
    Is there an easy way to convert jpegs to gsd files or is there a step by step tutorial somewhere to tell me how to do this. Designing in Inkscape is totally beyond me!
    I have some metal stencils I thought I could trace around, scan and save, then cut on the robo ( my ability to cut by hand is becoming more limited by a chronic health problem) - but how?
    Any help most appreciated.
    Janet

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    I use the trace tool in the robo software I never use inkscape or designmaster. I just import my image the click on the trace tool and usually its just the outline I want for decoupage and stuff like that but I find it very easy to use.
    Ellen
    Ellen

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    You can trace in Inkscape. You need to import your jpg then do PATH/trace bitmap.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I have a robo lite - I can't find a trace tool and I'm afraid, Doreen, I can't find anything at all in inkscape! Will a bitmap file open in the robo? I can change jpegs to bitmap in psp I think?
    Sorry but I really am a dummy about changing files. Janet

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    There's basically two different types file: bitmap picture type files which are made up of different coloured dots - pixels; and vector files - made up of shapes - lines and curves. The Robo uses the vector type files as the blade needs a shape or edge to follow to be able to cut a design. You can't automatically convert a file from one of these types to the other as they have completely different basic formats, so to convert a picture to a set of cutting lines, you need to trace the outlines you want to cut. You can do this either by hand or with automatic trace options, but you need to have clear, precise contours/edges for the software to work correctly.

It's always worth checking the forum for existing information - this is one of the topics that pop up fairly frequently; I recently posted a link to a page that gives a clear and more detailed description of the differences betweem bitmaps and vectors, which you might also like to read. Look too for tutorials on tracing if you need help; if we don't have one, I believe Chrissie (Rugersmum) had a nice video one on hand tracing on her site.

Rosemary

PS The Auto trace option in Robo Master is called "Get Outline" - it's a green square icon with a dotted line inside it.
    Last edited by dozyrosy; 07-02-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I've uploaded a screen shot of where PATH is, if you click on it there will be a drop down box where you can choose trace bitmap
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Have you tried doing the Inkscape tutorials? There are 2 pages of them in the tutorial forum,the oldest and probably easiest will be at the bottom of page 2, work your way up from those.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help -but I did look at the tutorials before I put the question on and they don't seem to answer my question at all,
    I have very limited time on the computer due to health problems -which also prevent me being able to cut shapes much.
    I have made some jpeg files by drawing around the parts I want to cut out of metal stencils, so I can cut them out with the robo, and later dry emboss them. I scanned my drawings to enable them to be saved.
    All the tutorials seem to be saying how to make shapes in inkscape, which I don't have the ability (because my time is limited) to explore. I just want to convert my drawings into gsd files to cut them out.
    I have now learned , thanks to a member, how to import them into inkscape, and (I think) do the path/trace bit. After that, LOST!!
    I have a robo lite -does that make a difference? Janet

Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - Fuschia's Avatar
    View Gallery

Hi Janet. With the Robolite you won't be able to do Print and cut, but you should be able to Insert your Jpegs and trace around them.

In Robomaster you can either trace using the spline tool, line tools etc., or you should be able to Autotrace using the Outline Button which is a green outlined square. Once your Jpeg is in Robomaster, click on Get Outline, in this screen make your image as dark as possible using the Threshold slider (I think thats what its called), then click Convert to Outline and Paste and Exit. You should now have your traced image on screen. HTH.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Wonderful!

Thanks so much for explaining this to me. It opens up literally 1000s of images / shapes that I already have saved in digital scrapbook kits.

The key steps to me were using the slider to get the edges smoother and the Paste & Exit button.

I just cut a sun with rays and looked for HOURS yesterday online without success.

I can't thank you enough!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I am anal at times, so here are my Step by Step directions. I just made a Sun with Rays. I will attempt to upload it for sharing

My Step By Step directions: (v. 5.10)

First use the Load File button (icon on top row, 8th from right) to locate and bring the jpeg into Robo. Then click the Get Outline button (3rd icon from right). This will bring the object into Robo. Files with bmp, jpg, tif, gif and pcd extensions are supported. Files with the png extension are not supported.

Adjust the Threshold Slider until you get the effect you want on the edges. It is very sensitive, so this may take some time. Make sure to use the height and width sliders to view the entire image.

When you are satisfied, click Convert to Outline. Your image will be converted to a bunch of connect-the-dots. You can adjust the dots individually if you wish to tweak the cut. You can toggle between Edit Image and Convert To Outline. When you are done, click Paste and Exit.

Robo will paste the new image onto the page. Click Edit, Save As and save the new gsd file!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st-oliveoyl View Post
    I am anal at times, so here are my Step by Step directions. I just made a Sun with Rays. I will attempt to upload it for sharing

My Step By Step directions: (v. 5.10)

First use the Load File button (icon on top row, 8th from right) to locate and bring the jpeg into Robo. Then click the Get Outline button (3rd icon from right). This will bring the object into Robo. Files with bmp, jpg, tif, gif and pcd extensions are supported. Files with the png extension are not supported.

Adjust the Threshold Slider until you get the effect you want on the edges. It is very sensitive, so this may take some time. Make sure to use the height and width sliders to view the entire image.

When you are satisfied, click Convert to Outline. Your image will be converted to a bunch of connect-the-dots. You can adjust the dots individually if you wish to tweak the cut. You can toggle between Edit Image and Convert To Outline. When you are done, click Paste and Exit.

Robo will paste the new image onto the page. Click Edit, Save As and save the new gsd file!
    that is exactly how i do it
    ellen