Friday 5

by RED HEAD

Friday 5

by elainevking

Eye C U

by Mary Buttons

party night

by Maria in France

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

Charmed Cards & Crafts banner

Bouncing is what tiggers do best!! redsmudge's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Art Journal Newbie - any hints or tips to start off?

I am thinking of having a go, having been inspired by Craft Stamper magazine! I am a card maker up to now, so any tips anybody could give me to start me off! I have bought some gesso to start me off, although not sure wot to do with it!!!

Dedicated Scrapper Wrightboysmum's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (38)
    Good luck and jump in.
    There are a few places to look for inspiration and Kate's blog is a good one. She is also doing a art journal calendar challenge which is effectively a little square a day so is a good way to start off. Dyan Reaveley has some great stuff and the side of her blog has a list of fab sites for inspiration as well.
    Just remember there are no rules so do what you want. I hardly use Gesso although it was one of the first things I bought and although I have made my own pages don't now as it's all I would get done and I think the journaling is more important. So do what feels right for you.
    There is a social group here as well with links and peoples work.
    There is art journal stuff on my blog as well if you want a look and I'm just loving doing it.
    Beware it can be addictive though.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    oooooh - will be watching with interest, i'd love to have a go at one
    toot toot 'n' beep beep yeah!!

My Bloggy Thing

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    Many thanks for all the information and links Wrightboysmum. I've also been tempted after reading Craft Stamper's articles.

Thanks!
    Marion

View Gallery

so, just wondering if you started your art journals. I've done Jan & Feb of the calendar journal - mentioned above - and going to d background of March today hopefully.

live.... love.... laugh.... often!!!! KIRSTICOO's Avatar
    lah lah land (otherwise known as Inverurie, Aberdeenshire)
    View Gallery

I have just posted a page that I am happy with and I may start my March calendar pages today (children permitting of course!!!)... Sonja have you done yours yet????,...x
    Kirsti xx
    My Blog is Storm In A Vintage Teacup

View Gallery

No!!!!!!

View Gallery

Kirstie, lovely pages, and then one below too.

View Gallery

Thank you....x
    Kirsti xx

View Gallery

Just blogged my page here and getting March together as I type (paint drying).

View Gallery

Is it finished yet??? My February pages are on my blog too...Love them despite the back to front a in February...x

so, just wondering if you started your art journals. I've done Jan & Feb of the calendar journal
    Can we see pictures of them Bevsie???
    Kirsti xx

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    After going through the book '1000 Artist Journal Pages' one page by one page, I'm a little confused now. What do you all think makes an 'art journal' different from just a page of art? Some of the pages in the book just seem like pretty pictures -- no journaling involved, and sometimes it's nothing drawn or coloured or painted, just pictures cut from a magazine! I know artists kind of have to do their own thing, and that's fine but art does not make an art JOURNAL to me.

Thoughts?

My gorgeous grandsons (love 'em to bits :) ) chrisG's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (39)
    Oh .. so glad you posted Jane - I was just about to order this book for some inspiration - Bank Hol doesn't look promising so I thought I would curl up and gleem some inspiration from this book.

My view is that it should contain some writing as journaling means written accounts of current interest or wide popular appeal, which our personal journals are. Journalism, journalist all involves written contents. But on the other hand just pictures can be classed as a visual journal - you determine what you make of it from what you see and what you see may be different from what someone else sees - any written content may sway your views. Like you say its all down to the creator as to what their interpretation of art is.

Great question for debate!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisG View Post
    Oh .. so glad you posted Jane - I was just about to order this book for some inspiration - Bank Hol doesn't look promising so I thought I would curl up and gleem some inspiration from this book.

My view is that it should contain some writing as journaling means written accounts of current interest or wide popular appeal, which our personal journals are. Journalism, journalist all involves written contents. But on the other hand just pictures can be classed as a visual journal - you determine what you make of it from what you see and what you see may be different from what someone else sees - any written content may sway your views. Like you say its all down to the creator as to what their interpretation of art is.

Great question for debate!
    Chris, hope I didn't give a negative impression of the book. It's really very, very good! With 1,000 entries, there are bound to be a few that make you scratch your head -- the majority are excellent and definitely inspiring! I can also recommend a couple of others: 'Art Journals & Creative Healing' by Susan Soneff is absolutely pushing my buttons right now. I got it last week and can't put it down. 'True Colors' by Stampington is a bit pricey but includes a lot of what I call 'art pages' for lack of a better term. It's huge and very, very inspirational. 'Collage Journeys' by Jane Davies is also excellent. Not specifically art journals but then again every page 'could' be an art journal.

I just finished a two-page entry in my art journal (which I'd put aside from last summer!) today. I'm trying to decide whether to post it on my blog or not. That's the thing with art journals: they're often very personal and I'm not sure I'm ready to share these sentiments with the whole wide world. I probably will...just have to think about it awhile.

My gorgeous grandsons (love 'em to bits :) ) chrisG's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (39)
    Thanks for the review Jane - No negitive impression - just wondering which book to go for and I am constatntly being drawn to that one although I am aware that there are no actual techniques explained just lush pictures of inspiration. But now i'm torn LOL - I have seen some pages of true colours and although amazing books not what I would call journals - more altered books (am i correct? - been some time since i saw this book). I love to look at other journals and read about the process but dont want to sit at my computer day and night looking at blogs - I like to curl up on the sofa and absorb in a good actual book/mag - and I cant wait 6 months between SS journaling mags (we may need to have words with them LOL).

I also keep a daily journal which i dont post on my blog purely for the reason that I dont want the world and his wife to know all my business - I have posted one page before on flicker which i reduced in size so that you could see the general layout but couldn't actually read any of the journaling. The one's I do share on my blog are purely either play/learning techniques journals.

Thanks again for the reviews - off to Amazon to suss these out

+ Post New Thread