Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

sad Help needed to connect silhouette cameo 3 to bluetooth

Hello all. Hope you can help.

I took delivery of my new Silhouette Cameo 3 on Sunday. As expected, it is the Bluetooth enabled version (to make sure, I checked the Bluetooth hidey place underneath the machine and sure enough the dongle is there).

I set the machine up and enabled Bluetooth in the settings. The Bluetooth symbol is now appearing in the top lh corner of the screen, but is greyed out. I then proceeded to update the design studio software to the latest version on the website (3.8.88). I also updated the machine’s firmware (Int: 1.30; ext: 1.30).

I then tried to connect to Bluetooth on my laptop – I don’t have built in Bluetooth so had purchased a USB dongle for the purpose. Having installed that, the Bluetooth dialog box shows it as “paired” with the silhouette. However, when I then go into design studio, Silhouette, Add Bluetooth Cutter, although the “send to silhouette” window pops up, it still shows as “not connected” and doesn’t give me the option to click anything to connect.

What’s going wrong?

Can anyone help please.

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

The same thing happens to me too when I try to connect using a dongle with my PC but when I try with with my laptop which had Bluetooth built in it works OK. I believe quite a few people have issues with Bluetooth so hopefully they are working on a solution.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    My PC has bluetooth built in and I too have difficulty in cutting via bluetooth. Sometimes it works but most often it does not connect. I have now given up trying to connect via bluetooth as I have neither the time nor the patience. I use the usb connection which is at least reliable. It is a pity that SA did not sort this out before they released the machine, but having said that it is still a cracking machine.
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SylviaF View Post
    but having said that it is still a cracking machine.
    Hi Sylvia, I was interested to see your quote.. if you have the time to reply I would really appreciate you telling me why you are so pleased with it. Did you replace a Cameo or Cameo2? If it was a Cameo do you feel the 3 cuts better or is the self adjusting blade a bit of a gimmick? I have said I will stick to my current Cameo2 and Curio set up, neither of which is that old, but I would be very interested to hear your views. I don't doubt that the Cameo4 (or whatever they decide to call it) is already on the drawing board and I'm hoping it will have more downforce, now that will be hard to resist

Thanks in advance if you can spare time to post a quick reply

Andi

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Hi Andi
    I bought the original Cameo when it first came out in the UK to replace my grey lidded craft robo. I also had a Curio when it first came out but I was disappointed with the embossing capability (embossing was my main reason for buying it). I sold the Curio and decided I would put the money towards the new Cameo when it came out. The main selling points of Cameo 3 for me were that you could use the deep cut blade and I likethe dual carriage and the touch screen. I do honestly find that the auto blade actually does cut better than my old Cameo although whether that is because my ratchet blade was well used or not I don't know. Apart from the ongoing probs with the bluetooth connection (not so much of a problem for me but I can imagine the frustration it must cause for some) I do love the new machine. If I'd had a Cameo 2 I don't think I would have been able to justify investing in a new machine but being as mine was 5 years old I thought I would. I am looking forward to the release of studio 4 when it eventually arrives and hopefully a lot of the problems will be solved by it. I'm sure you are correct in what you say about the Cameo 4 - they can't just rest on their laurels and I'm sure many would like an improved downforce. Sorry I can't be of more help Andi.
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

View Gallery

Thanks for this Sylvia, no apology required you've been extremely helpful. I really thought long and hard about whether to try to sell my Curio (and even my Cam2) and go for this new machine, but I'm lucky enough to have a whole room just for my craft room so space isn't too much of an issue (yet) and I can have my machines on a table right next to my computer desk. The fact that the Curio is able to take the deep cut blade means I really couldn't justify the new Cam3 and, indeed, I don't cut much thick material apart from chipboard now and then (often just the thicker card that comes as packaging!) so deep cut isn't really required. I keep meaning to get the bigger platform for the Curio, which I am sure will give me more incentive to use the darn thing. I agree with you about the embossing issues, I got mine really for that purpose most of all and that would have been where more downforce would have possibly been an advantage and given better results, plus, as I whinged on about in another thread, it would save a lot of wear and tear because you wouldn't have to run the machine at the ragged (sometimes literally) edge. Sorry about your blue tooth problems; you certainly are not alone with that one - I see loads of woes on some of the groups I am in where people bought the 3 because they couldn't site their machine directly in computer reach with USB, so they are struggling until a fix is found.

Thanks once again for your input, I think you have reinforced my feeling that I'm better off hanging fire for the time being.

Andi

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    If you're anything like me Andi you definatly would use your Curio more with the bigger platform. This a 1" engraved glass mirror shape (hard to get a good picture because of the reflection)IMG_20161012_110505 (619 x 611) (464 x 458).jpg

View Gallery

That is good Doreen, and I saw the engraved item you showed the other day. My main problem is that the kind of cards I seem to be asked for don't really lend themselves to metal and glass. I don't really do steampunk or shabby chic where you can go to town a bit, if you know what I mean, and where those materials could come into their own. The embossing was my main reason for getting the Curio, plus I got it at a very good price with an offer I came across quite by chance, and I know that there are not many people out there who think the embossing is very good, in spite of some of the better known crafters trying to put it across as really good and coming up with various techniques to improve it a bit. You and I had the conversation the other day about how it is NOT equal to a manual die cutting machine because the pressure isn't there to lift and define embossing detail. I didn't expect the Curio to be that good, but I did hope it would be better than it is. I could go on about it for ever but I think I've bored everyone enough with my witterings; foot stamping ain't going to make things better, patience is what is required - someone may get the message eventually. I'm glad you are getting results and I am now going off to find a bigger platform and get to grips with it all or I have wasted my money... perhaps I should use it as practice for getting really used to a dual carriage, that's the way cutters will go now it seems.

Andi

View Gallery

I wont be using the engraving for cards, the one I showed the other day will be going in a frame as will the one I've made for my daughter and son in law and it will be part of their Christmas present...... it has their names and the children's names engraved on it. In the Facebook Curio group one lady has been engraving round acrylic shapes with a hole in for the ribbon and is putting them in her Christmas cards. Thee embossing looks great on Adorable Scorable or Mirricard.

View Gallery

I have just been and ordered the larger platform, plus some foil, embossing paper and a couple of other things. I do have to say that I balked a bit at the postage. I spent over £100 pounds and the postage was £20.63 for SECOND CLASS - 1st class signed for would have been over £25.00. Now that is a bit steep for a decent order and I don't quite understand why it is so much... perhaps someone from Graphtec could explain?? A lot of companies have a limit over which postage is actually free. I did remember to use my crafty club discount so saved about £10, I guess I'm saying I took it off the postage charge but even at a tenner it is a lot, I'm sure it can't be that big and heavy. It is what it is I suppose, I either want it or I don't.

Andi

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiDee View Post
    I have just been and ordered the larger platform, plus some foil, embossing paper and a couple of other things. I do have to say that I balked a bit at the postage. I spent over £100 pounds and the postage was £20.63 for SECOND CLASS - 1st class signed for would have been over £25.00. Now that is a bit steep for a decent order and I don't quite understand why it is so much... perhaps someone from Graphtec could explain?? A lot of companies have a limit over which postage is actually free. I did remember to use my crafty club discount so saved about £10, I guess I'm saying I took it off the postage charge but even at a tenner it is a lot, I'm sure it can't be that big and heavy. It is what it is I suppose, I either want it or I don't.

Andi
    Andi I bought my Curio and the large platform set from Crafts U Love as at the time Graphtec had moved to Hochanda. They only charge £2.95 per order and quite often have free p&p events. Other times special % discounts, amounts vary between 10, 15 & 20% off everything with the exception of machines.

View Gallery

Andi
    Crikey Andi that's a lot for postage

View Gallery

Neries, they are out of stock on the CUL site, I did go and check - just my luck. No date shown for restocking either. I searched high and low to see if I could find them anywhere else but, apart from the "big river" I couldn't find them - well actually one site had them but p&p was a secret until you were checking out - maybe would have been a tad less than £20, but I wanted the other things as well and they didn't have them all. I'm always a bit concerned that some traders on "A" sell items that are replicates rather than originals, at least this way I know what I am getting (I hope) and have a path back if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    Crikey Andi that's a lot for postage
    Isn't it just Doreen, I had to put on big girl's knickers to finish the order I nearly pm'd you to see where you got yours from... couldn't see them on C&C... there you go.

Andi

View Gallery

Neries, they are out of stock on the CUL site, I did go and check - just my luck. No date shown for restocking either. I searched high and low to see if I could find them anywhere else but, apart from the "big river" I couldn't find them - well actually one site had them but p&p was a secret until you were checking out - maybe would have been a tad less than £20, but I wanted the other things as well and they didn't have them all. I'm always a bit concerned that some traders on "A" sell items that are replicates rather than originals, at least this way I know what I am getting (I hope) and have a path back if necessary.

Isn't it just Doreen, I had to put on big girl's knickers to finish the order I nearly pm'd you to see where you got yours from... couldn't see them on C&C... there you go.

Andi
    They must have sold out because I got mine from there Andi

View Gallery

Well, I don't know if it's me going mad or the Graphtec site! I got an email this morning first thing to say my order had been dealt with - great, thought I, it should arrive about mid week next week 2nd class..... then I got an email from DPD at about half past two. It ISN'T me is it????? Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining, Monday is great and it makes the tenner that it has cost me seem a little easier to bear, but I'm nursing a hole in my head where I've scratched it so much, I just can't work it out. I do have to say there was postage on the sales page of up to £65 which was shown as courier... I'm not making it up... well, I don't think I am....perhaps I'm in the twilight zone.MWAAAAHHAHAHAHA

Andi
    Attached Images Attached Images