Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Thread: whats the..

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

whats the..

Whats the best thing to start off with? What kind of stuff do i need to start off a scrapbook ?

If I had a brain I would be dangerous! ScrappingSal's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (41)
    Well it depends on what you are coming from - are you a card maker? Then you may have a lot already.

If not - cardstock - acid and lignin free (if you want to keep your pics in good shape)
    Patterned paper - buy the same time as cardstock so you can match coulurs - saves money that way! I am speaking from experience.
    Glue - there are a variety - again acid and lignin free.
    scissors/craft knife and ruler/slicer/trimmer - whatever you feel happy with to cut your papers and pics.
    Pens for journalling - again acid free.
    some small embellishments to go with your photo.
    An album - not essential straight away - you can store your Layouts in a 12x12 baggie.
    That is the minimal I believe.
    Sal

My Blog

Dedicated Scrapper ScrapbookWithMe's Avatar
    View Gallery

a ruler (metal works best)

sharp pencil

a good quality eraser (one that won't tear your paper)

sharp pointy scissors

cardstock in colors of the rainbow

an idea book or magazine

paper trimmer

adhesive

just for starters...
    Sandie Grisé
    My Scrapbook Nook

View Gallery

I was thinking of using a sketchpad and design the front and things. i have looked around for scrapbook albums but i dont like any of them.

I have never done anything like this before.. i got alot of like stickers and stuff like that and slowly getting photos ready for it all.

i do have an auntie that does this sort of thing and will help me but it one of them things i would like to do on my own and stuff like that.

At the moment i am writing things in a notebook so i know what kind of ideas i have and that.

completely mad arty farty scientist hennahana's Avatar
    View Gallery

A sketchpad should work fine. I've managed to get bored of normal scrapbook albums so have started on sketchpads Other than the basics of glue scissors etc you're probably best just finding a craft shop and picking out things you like the look of.

Surfin' the slippery slope..... juliadunnit's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    Sounds to me like you need to jump in and GET GOING! Then you'll know what you need as you do it. Go on, get stuck in. Have fun, and welcome to the slippery slope!!

Ludgershall (near Andover) Crop Chat - an SG to visit
    Doing it like a Diva!
    A talker with a passion for crafting blogs here:
    stamping-ground.blogspot.com

Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - beanpole's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I enjoy the freedom of making my own album covers so just use either mountboard which is v cheap for A1 sheets and cut down, or 'chipboard'which is really just thickish cardboard so if you have any big art pads you can use the backs of them. At the mo I am using silk etc fabrics to cover them as I love the texture and colour. But do need a cropodile to punch the holes for bookrings and also the large gromlets to neaten the holes. I am also new to this but have already discovered it is seriously addictive!
    Last edited by beanpole; 08-02-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: mistyped
    http://www.beanpolebooks.co.uk
    NEW RELEASE 'MOTIF FOR MURDER' a cozy mystery with 10 templates to download for handcutting or tracing, and for the Cameo and Craft Robo. Ebook download for Kindle and Nook and now in paperback. This is the second story in the Quilt Detective series. Free templates on my blog, karenlowe co uk, for electronic cutters or PDF for cutting by hand.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Have you had a look at Kalulu.com (a sponsor on here) for an album? I am seriously into the bare chipboard D-ring ones at the minute as you can customise them yourself and it's so much easier to add pages.

Have a look at some of the sponsors and buy a kit - that'll give you all the co-ordinating stash to start you off with a few pages - card, paper, alphabet and embelishments.
    For tools etc I couldn't do without:
    trimmer
    small, sharp scissors
    herma glue
    double sided sticky tape
    craft knife
    12" metal ruler
    bone folder
    ink pads for stamping and distressing
    stapler
    crop-a-dile
    nail file for sanding small areas
    wet glue (my fave is diamond glaze)
    pointy tool (I'm sure there is no other name for it!)
    pens for journalling & doodling

Sorry the list was so long - you can start without half of this, but once you have it you can't do without it all...

Best of luck with it all - but you really need to get stuck in!

View Gallery

Thanks for starting this thread Bella, I am new to scrapbooking too and weren't sure what I needed so I've found it very helpful.

View Gallery

If I was starting again from scratch, my bare essentials for tools would be:

12 inch trimmer
    small, sharp scissors
    double sided tape

Useful extra additions:
    wet glue (e.g. diamond glaze)
    glue dots
    cropodile (punches small round holes and sets eyelets
    black ink pad

I bought all sorts of patterned paper and card when I first started, and have still got most of it. I would recommend you buy a kit from one of the sponsors on here, they come in a variety of prices from about £5 upwards. That way you get paper, card, and some embellishments that all go together, and you start to get an idea of what you like and what you don't like.

If I was buying seperately, I think I'd try and buy a pack of 12 x 12 multicoloured card, some blossoms (can get packs with mixed colours in, try Primas), some brads, some buttons and maybe some ribbon. Patterned paper comes as either packs or single sheets. Packs are good as you get a lot for your money, but I end up getting fed up with the same patterns or similar patterns after a while.

It is very tempting just to stroke your lovely papers and not cut into them, or even to buy two - one to use and one to stroke! But now I think I'd rather just use them and enjoy the pages they are on, as I've got a box full of stuff I've gone off!

Have a look in the gallery here - there are loads of ideas. Copying (or "scraplifting") a layout is a good way to get going or use a sketch (there are lots of sketch sites around on the internet) to give you a basic idea. It is a good idea to make sure you don't use original copies of photos, so make sure you scan and copy old ones, and in today's digital world, you know you can always print more if something goes wrong.

But most of all, enjoy yourself!
    September points: 0 SLO = 0 points Challenges: 0 points 0 Mini book = 0 points Total = 0 points SLYMI - 12/52

http://scrappingarky.livejournal.com/

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    Hi Bella....

If you don't like albums, what about altered books/journals? They may suit you more and are usually acid free so your photos would be protected.... I'll have a smooch around the gallery and see if I can find some for you! x

Here's one, and here's another. They both give a good idea of what can be done in a smaller journal.... and if you visit some of the sponsor shopping sites, look for 7Gypsies journals as they are great for altering into one of these!
    Last edited by Aristoscrap; 09-02-2009 at 12:11 PM.