Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Question Big Shot or Cuttlebug

I too am thinking of getting a die cutting machine and I want to emboss as well.
    I have seen a cuttlebug in action but lots of threads seem to point to the Big Shot which I havent seen working.

There seems to be lots of bits to add to the Big Shot for embossing, what is actually required?
    Are the dies / embossing folders compatible either way?
    Are the prices similar for dies and embossing folders for either machine?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I have a big shot and love it as for adding things for embossing, you lost me.
    I use the cuttlebug embossing folders and the sizzix brass ones and it as as simple as die cutting. I have never needed to add anything more than te paper of choice.
    I use all makes of die cutters also the is not much in the price i just like the fact that I have a choice of styles available to me from all the makes available. I have and use my big shot with Sizzix/ellison, cuttlebug, quickutz , bosscuts and nestabillities.
    Hope this helps x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks for your help - the question about over bits is because I have seen remarks like starter kit required on some sites eg;

Texturz (Starter kit required - sold separately)
    Decorative Strips (platform required - sold separately)

All Texturz Kits require the use of the Impressions Pad and Silicone Rubber, which are only included in the Starter Kit packs. Impressions Pads and Silicone Rubber are available separately, subject to stock availability.

Are these just for special types of embossing?

Also does any one know if there is a big differnce in the Blue Bigshot to the black and pink one?
    Last edited by paganflossy; 08-12-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Both machines will take the same dies, folders and stencils. The bigshot is more durable and better suited to embossing and taking larger card/stencils but if space is a really serious issue for you go for the bug.

The sets you mention are only needed IF you want to use those particular embossing plates. You can use the tan mat (same sort of silicon rubber) sold for the wizard if you dont want the texture plates that come with the starter kit. THe decorative strip kit is purely for the really long patterns, in 2 years I've never needed it. You can use stencils, fiskars texture plates with just the silicon rubber and cuttlebug folders as they are.

The new pink & black machine has a wider opening so will take bigger card and is supposed to make life easier when using the bigz xl dies.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

thats really helpful thank you - It may be that size is the deciding factor!!

Remembering not to look down! gembob1983's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    Don't know if this helps, but you can use the cuttlebug dies and embossing folders in the big shot.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)
    You've maybe already made your choice but I was wondering the same before I bought the Big Shot. It takes bigger dies. The Cuttlebug makes a big thing about it having suction pads onto your table but every time I saw it being demonstrated the suction stopped working half way through so you had to hold it down anyway. One main factor is storage space , as the Cuttle folds into a neat box.
    Hope it's helpful.
    Rosie