Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Thread: New to all this

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

New to all this

Hi, I'm really interested in taking card making and scrap booking up as a hobbie, where do I start, there is so much kit!!!! Can anyone help?
    Kerri

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (67)
    I think its easier if you decide if you want to start with card making or scrapbooking ... or if you're going to do both together.

If I was starting now, I would start with a card kit or scrapbooking kit as most of them give fabulous instructions.

I dread to think of the amount of money I wasted when I first started off.

You will obviously need the basics.....

Glue/double sided tape
    Cutting mat
    Decent scissors
    Cutting knife

If you decide you like stamping then you will need other basics ....

Heat gun
    Stamps
    Ink pads
    Pigment ink pads and embossing powder

...... but rather than get confused with all the range of papers, cards, embellishments etc... if you get a kit, you get all these included PLUS examples ... and you can decide from there what 'style' you like ..

I hope this helps and I'm sure lots of other people will come along and give you some fab advice as well.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    Welcome Kerri, Everyone starts differently, sometimes a friend introduces them, or they are naturally crafty and then take up scrapbooking and cardmaking, or other just like the thought of it as a hobby and start from scratch

I think getting a card making magazine to give you ideas. Just flick through a couple and see what one has more makes that appeal to you.
    For scrapbooking I buy Scrapbook inspirations and love it. I think gathering basic stash, (card, paper, glue and embellishments etc) to get started. Save cards and little bits and pieces around the home ie bottle tops, ribbons, funky labels off clothes etc. soon you will be looking at objects and throw away stuff in another light ...you will soon build up your stash.Peel offs and stamps and ink are always great to have.
    On this site there are frequent RAKS...random acts of kindness, look out for newbie raks and its excess stash people give away for free.
    others may come along with other ideas
    But most of all have fun.
    Linda

Twilight Addicts

"Life is so much better with a dog" ~Rachel~'s Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    Hello & welcome to UKS Kerri,
    Fab advice from above posts, so won't add much other than just Enjoy it, your own style will evolve over time, (i'm still looking for mine!) & check out people's galleries on here for inspiration, there are some amazing talented scrappers/card makers on UKS.

Hi I'm Leo the NewfyPoo!

View Gallery

Hi All, thanks so much for all the advice. I think card making is probably more my thing. I must admit having started to look at whats available, I am a bit bewildered.
    Actually what got me started on the idea was gathering arts and crafts bits and bobs for my toddler and I then became excited by the array of craft delights I could also have fun with.

View Gallery

I have started and not finished so many things in the past that I began scrapbooking/presenting my pics etc with a real eye on budget and very mindful not to get sucked in by all of the talk regarding various tools, papers, embellishments, £299 machines offering me the nirvana of scrapbooking freedom!

I am, however, a fairly basic 'record and enjoy' type....not a shove it on the page person, but one who will be happy to practice without taking out a second mortgage!

Now, I have added to my collection of papers and tools over the past few months, with things that I know I will use more than once or twice. I have also taken some of the chipboard shapes and made templates around them - I am a bit of a buggar for using things more than once when I know it isn't going to be a work of art I produce!!

Anyway - the ONE thing I am REALLY happy about on a personal level is that I did not come on here and feel I needed every tool discussed - I save info for when I want to buy or when I feel I will use it! PLUS not long after I joined, I posted a pic of a scrapbook I made for my Sis to take away. It was the most basic thing ever,but I had nice comments. We all create in different ways - otherwise, what's the point of any of us creating???

BTW, and no disrespect to any of us, but if you want to make card making p*** easy as an introduction to it, it't the easiest thing on earth to do! I bought a few items and made cards my parents loved (wouldn't necessarily have forced them on others, but it was a start!!) - I am a big believer in starting with what you are able to do rather than getting bogged down in projects you will never finish!

(Apologies, folks, I have the owrst jet lag ever and seem to be rambling/delirious! )

Make EVERY day your new blank canvas cantstopstampin's Avatar
    No longer in my little village, still in Staffs, but I AM happy !
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerriann View Post
    Hi, I'm really interested in taking card making and scrap booking up as a hobbie, where do I start, there is so much kit!!!! Can anyone help?
    Kerri
    yep, I bought a card kit at a big craft store - which started me on the rocky road of scrapping ! - They're good in that you can get started straight away, they include glue and everything you need to make about 10 cards or so. Scrapbooking kits work in the same way.

However, after you start you start to see things that you really want (we call it need) and by which time you will be well and truly hooked.

ACTUALLY, I'm only jesting. YOU WILL LOVE IT, it's so addictive and so enjoyable.

Hope you love it and welcome to UKS.

View Gallery

If you are anything like me, you'll start making cards and then get fed up with giving all your hard work away! Then you'll discover that you get to keep scrapbook pages and Bingo! you're a scrapper.

Make EVERY day your new blank canvas cantstopstampin's Avatar
    No longer in my little village, still in Staffs, but I AM happy !
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suepermum View Post
    If you are anything like me, you'll start making cards and then get fed up with giving all your hard work away! Then you'll discover that you get to keep scrapbook pages and Bingo! you're a scrapper.
    THAT IS EXACTLY HOW I FELT, plus I made about 50 cards and thought, what the heck am I going to do with all these cards. Sold a few (I work from home) - and it was kinda a natural progression into scrapping.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopstampin View Post
    ..... after you start you start to see things that you really want (we call it need)..........
    ROTFLMAO!!!

New year, new challenges! Wingus's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I agree with all the above!

I started out as a card-maker and resisted scrapbooking for ages until I got two dogs and started thinking about making a mini-book about them - then I was gone, hook, line AND SINKER! More like sunk!

I too suggest looking through some of the card-making magazines as they have great ideas and some of them have step-by-step instructions and a basic beginners guide at the back of the magazine that will get you started. Buying kits is also a great way. I suggest getting some kits from sponsors or online shops as they tend to include instructions too rather than generic kits you might see in department stores.

The most important rule is have fun!

View Gallery

Hy I am scrappermadsmum as on a recent visit to my daughter in Dubai she got me hooked on scrapping i am starting up as i have soooo many photographs shoved away out of sight so i want to start building memories for me my family and grandchildren

Lets get scrapping!! :) NuttyScrapper's Avatar
    View Gallery

Why not come and join us in Scrapdollys new team and be our 'newbie'. http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards/...=243239&page=7

When I started I bought too much stuff that I have never used.Maybe you should look at what photos you would like to do first and collect bits and pieces to make that first LO.(Obviously you will need the basics as mentioned above).Most are available in high street stores very resonably.Then see what you get on with best.

I started with tacky glue,moved onto sticky dots,then to double sided tape and now use gue runners, I revert to the previous as the need arises.

Browse the marketplace and buy a few magazines or books to help you,visit the local library and borrow some scrapping books(i got some lovely ones from mine when I first started)

I sent you a friends request so that when you have made enough posts,we can chat in pm
    Last edited by NuttyScrapper; 13-11-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Over the hill and far away........... sweetpea555's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Hi Kerri welcome to uks...i do echo the other ladies on the thread if i was doing this from scratch again i would decide on buying a kit first not necessarily an expensive one but ones under temmer maybe as you can also buy the cardmaking ones aswell for around the same price.... you need to chop around hun and see what you are liking and what you are planning on doing

Happy hunting Hugs L
    Leona x my blogHandmade embellishment swap, found in a matchbox swap...... cj lovers cj