Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper tracey241180's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

VERY technical help needed!

Hi all, I am new on here and thought I would begin by asking if anyone has made a theatre curtain card?

I have an order for a 50th card for a man who LOVES the theatre and they would really like one that had the fabric curtains open up by a ribbon or cord to reveal the message. it will not be a standard opening card but one that stands up by itself using a fin at the back.

Any help would be gratefully recieved!
    Don't just live it...scrap it!

...now with a blog =0) CharlieDK's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)

Would this be a gatefold card...

Quote Originally Posted by tracey241180 View Post
    Hi all, I am new on here and thought I would begin by asking if anyone has made a theatre curtain card?

I have an order for a 50th card for a man who LOVES the theatre and they would really like one that had the fabric curtains open up by a ribbon or cord to reveal the message. it will not be a standard opening card but one that stands up by itself using a fin at the back.

Any help would be gratefully recieved!
    I would use a piece of card and fold it to make a gatefold card - maybe even cut the two gates into the shape of the curtain when it is nearly closed and tie some nice thin ribbon around it as a tie-back. Not sure this is what you're after - but didn't want to read and run..

Please drop by and say HI...
    www.hjemmehoscharlie.blogspot.com

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (29)
    lol, I would hand them the stuff required and say, ok you do it!!

Seriously, I have no idea how you could do that, unless you know about making curtains and how to do the pully bit.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    You would probably have to make mini curtains to make this work properly - I'd also say it should only open by the pull. If you do create very simple curtains (so just fold over and sew - and thread onto a piece of thick wire/very thin dowling) then just a single piece of tie looped around each curtain and pulled from the centre at the back (so the tie runs behind everything, so from the top something like (the red are the curtain fabric bits, the blue the cord, the green the back of the card and the black is there to provide spacing):

Front of card
    ~~_____~~~~~~____~~
    ~/~~~~~\~~~~/~~~~\~
    |-------|~~|------|
    |\_____/~~~~\____/|
    |-----------------|
    ~\_____~~~~~~____/~
    ~~~~~~~\~~~~/~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~\~~/~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~\/~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~

Pull the single line at the back to open

If you then make it as more of a box card (so built up with a 'frame' at the front that could be the pelmet and side of the wings) then you can hide most of the workings and give somewhere for the curtains to go into. You may also need to stitch the cord to the curtains in a few places, and will be knotting the two loops together as it were at the point where they join to the pull section. It might take some trial and error to get it perfect and some bearings to pull around, but ot should be doable!
    Last edited by Quizzle; 30-07-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Change to make the 'picture' display properly

Dedicated Scrapper tracey241180's Avatar
    View Gallery

wow! well thank you all, will definitely give the card a go, it's pretty daunting! I think because I have made custom, to order, very personalised card sthey think I can do anything and I blooming well cant! Will keep you updated! Thanks again!
    Don't just live it...scrap it!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (29)
    good luck Tracey. lol I have said No to silly requests a few times now as I got fed up stressing myself out over something that is supposed to be a hobby. Anyone I've said it to have been fine about it and still came back for more.

Doing things my own way angeljakki's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Hi, just can across this. You could use a bamboo kebab skewer for a curtain pole and eyelets on some fabric for the curtain to make the curtains for the card just paint the skewer to the colour that would suit. You can thread the ribon through the eyelets and knot like an added detail to the middle eyelets so that you could pull the ribbon to open.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I found it!

I hope I'm not too late, but if you google victorineoriginals, there is a site that offers free patterns. Once you are in their site, click on patterns, choose the card, and move down. They call it a mini blind card, but I think it can be made to look like a curtain. How about using fabric, or wallpaper with a small print? Good luck!
    Eileen

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I am looking forward to seening the finished card.
    My blog updated regularly

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (19)
    gooole donovans templates theres one for a boz type theatre card with instructions.
    worth alook
    Or PM me for direct link.
    mystic