Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watercolouring

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I use the "Royal and Langnickel" water brushes, I'm sure some of the sponsors on here will stock them. There is also a "koi" waterbrush which is more expensive but is supposed to be much better. My R and L one has just started leaking so I'm considering getting the koi one.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    The "koi" was the other one that I was thinking of!

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (30)
    i have a bit of a daft question-i have noticed when looking at other peoples lovely work that their coloured images look so beautifully coloured with perfect shading and blending etc.How do you get such wonderful results when i try it looks like a year old has been let loose !!dont laugh too loudly but i feel that i need colouring in lessons-nursery school here i come!!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    dusty fairy - have no fear, I often feel the same. Although my father (an acrylics man - he paints) seems to think I'm good with my watercolours - little does he know the stress it causes me!

A lot of it is trial and error. People will often post their best work, not the three that went wrong first (or more if they're like me). Although practice and experience can make it all go a little quicker, with less error. The biggest thing I've found is working in a way you feel comfortable. I will sit at a table to stamp (unless I'm only using teeny ones), or to do a full scrapbook page. For a card, colouring a stamped image, drawing/sketching I find myself curled up on the sofa, a piece of kitchen roll over the arm of it to clean my water brush (small pot of water on side table if not using water brush - infrequent these days - but not unheard of - 2 pots if settling down for long evening of colouring - one for the paints and one to wash off in), a sketch book on my knee (or a drawing board if I'm at my dads), and the paints/pencils etc piled on the seat beside me in intricate pyramids. Most people probably can't work that way, but I can.

The other thing is to actually find the right thing for you (and to learn not to worry about perfection). I am still looking for good watercolour pencils, and I tend to prefer cakes to tubes - I get better colour control that way - although it takes longer to get them to mix! If you can, try the other types of watercolour, and keep looking till you find the one that works for you - that makes the biggest difference to blending and shading.

It's also worth not doing your colouring on a 'one off' item, at least until you are confident. That way, if it goes wrong, you only lose the cost of those materials and time - and it is a small investment in the grand scheme of things - because if nothing else you have gained experience.

You might also want to have a look into colour theory - that can help. My father tells with great fondness from his time in art college of spending literally hours mixing two colours in different amounts to get the full spectrum between them. I just have a quick scribble on a spare piece of paper.

There is one final tip. It is the one my father swears by when guiding reluctant artists, or people who feel inadequate in their techniques, or ability. Just go for it! Don't be tentative. After all - only you will know that the effect isn't what you intended...

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (30)
    thankyou for all the info your father sounds like awonderful man.I'mgoing to see what i can get after work

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    And I think there's a Japanese brand - possibly Sakura? - sold by Create & Craft; you could also possibly check Stamp Addicts (I think they're sponsors) for these, as I think I've seen them using them on their C&C shows.

Rosemary
    Hiya

The Sakura ones are called Koi Water Brushes, the Pentel ones are called Aquash Waterbrush and I have a Zig H2O Brush by Kuretake. They are all available in 3 sizes.

These water brushes are available from craft and art supply sites so some of the UKS sponsors should have some available or try a Google/eBay search.

Hope that helps.
    Tan xxx

Visit my blog: tanfasticstuff.blogspot.com

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Quizzle, thank you so much for posting that advice. I found it really helpful. Your Dad sounds like a grand fella indeed.

View Gallery

water colour paper

Hi just been reading the posts about water colour paper & thought I'd tell you what I am using after a forum friend put me right, winsor & newton COTMAN 90lbs/ 190gsm is a good one & 140lbs./ 300gsm both very good & dont buckle & stamping images is fine I use stazon or versafine.

Christine

I am a new bee so be gentle with me. LOL

I love Iggle Piggle Upsey Daisy's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    I'm looking for watercolour paper that is a true white than most. I didn't realise till I read this thread that there were different types so I'm wondering if I need the Not finish or hot pressed. Does anyone know which is the whitest?

Thanks
    Jo

View Gallery

Hi all, there's nothing stopping you actually using watercoloiur paints (granny and egg sucking springs to mind I guess!). I use White Knights, top notch Russian paints that are really vibrant and not too pricey. Occasionally i do Anglo-Saxon illuminated manuscrpt cards based on the Lindisfarne Gospel saint pages and they are nice with watercolours. Kiaya

View Gallery

At last November's NEC I managed to get the full set of Derwent Water Colour pencils from their stand for £30 below normal price and they give fantastic results. I usually use water colour card but can get away with other card as these pencils are so easy to 'blend and draw out' if you know what I mean.