Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

More newbie questions

I got such great responses to my question about basic equipment for card making that I've come back to ask more!

Card creasing board (hope that's what you call it) - any recommendations or advice - will any do - is plastic or wood better? What about the tool for creating the creases - any advice on that? I like the idea of folding my own card because (and maybe I'm way off base here so do jump in and put me right if that's the case) I like the idea of printing a nice background onto the card first (using these lovely downloadable templates that you get) and therefore having a completely patterned base to start off with and also being able to print and inside to the card. What is the best kind of card to do this - I was looking at the papermill shop - is that reasonable stuff?

Also - looking for glue recommendations - I like the idea of repositionable as I think I'll be all thumbs to begin with.

Thanks in advance.

Vicki

Doing things my own way angeljakki's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Hi Vicki and welcome to the forum. I use a wooden crease board. I don't have any preference just the dh made it for nothing. I like the boning tools as you get a more definate crease than a ball but everyone to there own.
    I like permanent "stick it" adhesive roller it has always rolled really well. Some of the adhesive rollers I have tried have returned on them self and you end up in a mess. You could use double sided tape. I hope this is of some use

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    The really cheap mdf creasing board works well enough but a few ladies here have just had scorpals from the US and are pretty happy with them.

As to glues, you'll end up with all sorts as there's no one perfect sticky solution. I love ds tape for matting & layering, just fold back a couple of the ends, put into place then pull the rest of the backing away, saves a lot of "oops". PVA, foam squares, tacky glue, Art Institute glue with the really fine nozzle, silicon all live on my desk. I've lived without quickie glue pens & sticky dots but both are handy occasionally.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    I haven't got a score board as I tend to buy ready mades, or if I do make a card I just use the indent in my guillotine and a bone creaser. I use one out of my Cricut tool kit and it's fab. I recommend a good bone creaser - they come in v handy.

If you are going to make your own card blanks, what are you doing about envelopes? Will you buy ready made ones or make your own? This is the thing I find faffy about making my own tbh. You can buy envelope templates to cut your own though.

BTW I always print on my card blanks (ready made) with my details on the back and often a verse/something inside. I use Word to do this - very easy once you have the size set up. I mainly use C6, 5 x 7 and 5 x 5 cards and they can all be printed easily enough in a standard printer.

Re glue - repositional has it's place but doesn't stick for good (obviously) so you may find some of your bits drop off your card once it's been a up on display a while! You are better off with permanent glue and rollers are good like has been said. Tbh, if you make a mistake a glue roller (you don't need to plaster the back of something with glue - just a few bits here and there), you can usually prise it off the card and re-place anyway. Double sided tape is always good for ribbon.

Oh and as PWP says - 3D foam pads are a must for dimension.

Start to have a play and see what comes really....

HTH
    My blogaroonie: Patsy's Little Blog

View Gallery

Thank you for the replies.

HOPEJACK - I was planning to buy ready made envelopes - the only reason for not buying ready made cards (although I suspect I will buy them) was so that I could print a backing paper (from one of those lovely digital templates) onto the the card (cos I think it would be nice - maybe it would be horrible lol) but if the card is prescored I suspect that would affect the printing in that area. Also - thanks for the advice about repositionable glue, I hadn't thought about that as a problem.

Vicki

Dedicated Scrapper Lighthousegirl's Avatar
    View Gallery

I dont have a board for scoring lines either - it is however something I am considering as I am enjoying making different shaped cards.

With regards to adhesive - I use double sided tape quite a lot of the time. I like it because once it is stuck it stays, but it is possible to get things lined up before you committ!

I will try an explain what I do but if this does not make sense I am happy to do some pictures to explain better! If I am sticking down a reasonable sized square/rectangle I put tape on the four sides. I then peel back a little of the backing on two of the corners diagonally opposite each other (ie top right and bottom left), pulling it a little way down on each side of the corner. I dont remove the backing tape but crease it at 45 degrees so it sticks out from behind the shape. This means effectively some of each strip of tape is sticking out. I can then line the shape up check it by gently pressing the corners down - so little is stuck, but it is possible to remove / repossition if I want to. Once it is in the right place it is possible to pull the rest of the backing tape off by gently pulling at the strips of backing tape that are sticking out and the item is stuck down. I use the same principle for smaller peices, just using less tape and for other shapes - just remember that each piece of tape should have a little tap pointing out - I managed to get in a pickle one time with a triangle and had to leave one side unstuck as I could not get at the tape! Whoops!

For me this technique represents the best of both worlds - the chance to repossition but a card which the different bits stay in place. Hope this makes sense - if not please just ask!
    Light

If you want details of my blog please let me know!

View Gallery

i bought wilkinsons own make cheapy glue roll on pen and when it dries, its solid! brilliant stuff for 49p. i bought a scoring board made of plastic from ebay, i think it was £6.95. I wouldn't be without one, because i make boxes with it too.

View Gallery

I use the top score board... sometimes, do and sometimes don't, so not a necessity, but handy! I like my double sided and adhesive rollers, but like repositionable when sticking down letters like Sizzix alphas... usually use xyron 150 for them. hths!