Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

rolling A challenge for the Newbies and Software challenged

No one can teach imagination you either have it or you don't, but we can help you to get the most from your cutting software.

If you want to learn programs like PSP etc there are hundreds of free tutorials on the web.

What I am proposing is a Monthly Challenge for people who want to learn the various cutting software packages. At the moment these are RM, DM, Inkscape and Design Studio. I have recruited some ladies who are going to write the tutorials and this is how it will work.

A "Newbie Monthly Challenge" with tutorials.

Anyone accepting the challenge can if they wish upload a template, a picture, a screen shot or any combination of these options to the template forum, please include NMC in the subject heading.

No one is going to criticise this is a learning thing, not a competition. If you have any problems with the tutorials post a cry for help in the Challenge thread. If you have a disaster that looks really funny, let us see it, we won't want the template, but would love to see that things do go wrong. I'll post my next one

If there is a technique you want to learn and we don't already have a tutorial for it please PM me and I can set it up as a future challenge.

The first challenge will be May 1st
    Last edited by Lucille; 15-04-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

This is a great idea Lucille. I am always trying to emphasize that all contributions are valid from the very very simple to the outrageously complicated. And the prize is the pride of achievement and the gain in confidence from taking up a challenge.

There's nothing wrong with teenagers that reasoning with them won't aggravate!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    This sounds great, can't wait to get going.
    Cath

View Gallery

I have had another idea, we are all so quick to upload a picture of our success, newbies must think we never get things wrong, people should upload a screen shot of "When I got it wrong".

I was working on a title for a LO a couple of weeks ago, picked what I thought was an appropriate font I liked, picked my little dingbat, yes I use dingbats can't draw for toffee spent hours trying a new technique hit the button to reveal my fantastic creation, but what a disaster, I just burst out laughing DH thought I had been sent a funny email. Yes it seemed a waste of heaven knows how many hours, but I learnt a heck of a lot along the way.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

That sounds like a good way to get me to stop looking at my Robo and thinking I'll play with it later.

Dedicated Scrapper downunderdabble's Avatar
    View Gallery

Taking deep breath and gearing myself up for 1st May. Thanks for taking the time for helping us help ourselves get more out of Robo. Also smiling that disaster results are shareable... certainly reinforces how friendly and supportive this forum is.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    This sounds like a great fun thing to try, I am definitely up for it. At the minute I feel like I am climbing Everest with all the new things to learn about my new other half - well I spend more time with Robbie than I do with my DH at the minute! I am more than prepared to have a go, its the best way to learn things, and if we all make mistakes then us newbies won't feel so bad will we?

Dedicated Scrapper Ann Harrison's Avatar
    View Gallery

This sounds like a good idea as it will hopefully inspire us to play!!! Instead of just reading this forum. Which is great though. Would'nt like to be without it.

Bye for now Ann

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Great

This a great idea it would help me alot I lack the confodence to use CR. I have had lots of imput but gets put of by the good work others are doing . I don't want to feel stupid. I look forward to 1st May.

Sharon

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Samuel View Post
    This a great idea it would help me alot I lack the confodence to use CR. I have had lots of imput but gets put of by the good work others are doing . I don't want to feel stupid. I look forward to 1st May.

Sharon
    Sharon

They don't come more stupid than me twice now I have been in such a rush I didn't put the paper on the carrier sheet how stupid is that AND it was a brand new one.

Nutter Extraordinaire!! scrappydiva's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Lucille, this sounds great! I still haven't sold my Robo, so guess I really ought to learn how to use it properly.

View Gallery

I hope our newbies join in the challenge as you all have so much to gain, the pleasure you feel when you finally "get it" is wonderful. I also get a lot of pleasure seeing someone make progress after being given a helping hand from our more experienced members. As Ruth has already said the contributions of the more simple templates are as useful as the really complicated. We all have our own style and mine is definitely simple.

Lynne

View Gallery

What a great idea, thank you, certainly worth a try. Could you try and remember that some of us (me for one) don't understand most of the jargon!! sounds double dutch!!! sorry xx Jan

Dedicated crafter
    View Gallery

I have had my CR since Sept but haven't done as much as I would like with it. However I do use it lots for printing greetings and verses as I love the Bickley Script font and with different coloured pens I like the look it gives my cards. I will try to get to grips with the Newbie challenge in May but there might be more "how it shouldn't look" than anything else. Many thanks to all those who put templates on the form - they are brilliant and very helpful so hopefully one day I hope I might get one done. Thanks again to all those of you who help us get to grips with CR

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Well, there's two ways to get to know jargon - one is to ask (!!) if you don't know what something is or means, and the other is to keep on reading all the posts, FAQs tutorials on here, and your documention, help files, etc, and gradually soak it all in. Both approaches are equally useful. Everything has its own jargon which can often take a bit of time and effort to learn. As a cardmaker (where I think I've got most of the jargon sussed) I still think scrappers talk a lot of gobbeldygook and I've been visiting UKS for at least a couple of years now...

Just remember there's no such thing as a stupid question - the only stupid thing is not asking.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."