Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (64)

how do you buy your cards/envelpoes?

Hi all, just after some advice How do you buy your cards and envelopes? Do you buy them in large packs with corresponding envelopes or do you make your own cards and envelopes? I am desperatly running out of my 'free' stock of cards so need to plan ahead. Is the inital outlay of scoring boards etc worth it or would you say stick to pre made cards. Also if you make your own envelopes how do you seal them/can you buy lick and stick.

Sorry if this question sounds daft but I have never hit this problem as I have always been given free card packs or had card orders using set sizes.

Thanks in advance

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I do both I buy cards with envleopes and I also make my own cards and evnelopes failing that there is a little craft shop near where I live where I can buy envelopes and then I personalise them by putting contrasting paper inside the envelope

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (27)
    I tend to fold my own blanks as it works out cheaper and I can do a load at at time while watching tele, but have been known to buy them ready creased and with envelopes, one thing I find in ready made packs the envelopes sometime can be a bit thin and flimsy. I also use the groove in my paper trimmer to score them. M
    MONICA GALE

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (64)
    Thanks all, I think I may be making my own from now on. Seems cheaper. How do you get the envelopes to stick though? The tabs i mean? Can you buy some 'lick and stick' glue ~ is there such a thing?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (106)
    I generally bulk buy pre-scored cards and envelopes to fit, though I tend to stick to white envelopes regardless of card colour. I have bought some envelopes with unscored card, so I can do 'standard singlefold' or what I think they call 'gatefold' to fit the envelopes.

I have a scoring board 'somewhere' - but one of my papertrimmers also has a scoring bade, so I tend to use that these days

Yes there is some 'lick and stick envelope glue' - found it on google, so that's the right name I have some, but never got around to trying it as I've not yet needed a non-standard size envelope.

View Gallery

Just found one of the sponsors with it -- bottom of the page here

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I score my own card but buy envelopes, usually white because they are cheaper.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    hello, I buy my card from a shop that has a range of colours its great. fill a box of A4.. My cards are approx 6" x 6". use the bone folder to fold. with A4 you can do lots of different sizes and then use the left overs to stamp on or use in the die cutter

I usaully get the envelopes from a market stall 20 for £1.20 they are lovely and thick.

if buying envelopes then have a quick feel... i don't like the cheap ones

amanda

More Scrapping less chatting! bunny-zoe's Avatar
    View Gallery

The cards I have just started making are 6 x 6. Don't want to mess around making envelopes. Can I buy envelopes for this size? Nikki x

View Gallery

I can get 151mm x 151mm, but they won't take a true 6x6 card. They're listed to take a 144mm x 144mm card, which is only (approx) 5.7" each way.

More Scrapping less chatting! bunny-zoe's Avatar
    View Gallery

Thanks for your reply but I do need them for 6 x 6's. Someone has pm'd me a website address to a company which sells envelopes and they seem very reasonable... Nikki x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (29)
    I used to buy my own cards but now i make them as that way i can do any size i pretty much want providing i can get the relevant sized envelopes.
    RUBY SNIPPERS /GOLD EYELET
    Facebook Blog May points SLO x 11 =110pts

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (18)
    I do both. It really depends on the size, I make my own 6 x 6 square or A5 cards and buy the envelopes separate. I buy 5 x 5 square, 5 x 7 and A6 cards and envelopes in 50 packs.
    VALERIE (please do not call me Val, thanks)
    Swaps:

Valerie's blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)
    I buy bulk unscored but pre-cut hammered or linen card, inserts and envelopes that come in 100 pieces each in 3 main sizes - square, slimline and A5 and in 2 colours (white and ivory). I find this works out quite cheap - less than 13p for A5 card, insert and envelope per card.

I don't tend to score the card and inserts, just fold and then use a bone creaser to get a good line.

If I need larger cards I fold my own A4 card into whatever shape and then keep a selection of large and DL envelopes to fit.
    Lyn