Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

CR software question - size not carrying over?

First of all thanks to everyone that offered some advice on my previous question about the CE5000 and cutting paper on it!

Now for something I just can't get my head around - While helping my friend I ran into someting odd that I thought maybe someone here could explain? When I go into the software (i think it's called RoboMaster) and try to write a word I can set the option for Width and Height - i do that but then when I click OK and it places the word on the page it is not the Width and Height I specified? For example I write a 6 letter word like LETTER in font=Impact and set the Hight to 2 inches and the Width to 8 inches. when I click OK it places the word on the page but at somethign like 22 inches by 2 inches (which you can see on the bar across the bottom of the window). What am I missing here? why bother set the H and W on the previous screen if it's not going to use it?

I also noticed that when I type the word and it is placed on the virtual page, to the left of the letter L and the the right of the letter R (in the word LETTER) there is very very little extra space between them and the box around the word, but above and below the letters there is a lot of blank space which means that the word doesn't actually cut the letters at 2 inches - instead more like 1.5 inches because it is allowing for that extra space. Is there anyway to 'remove' that extra space or do I need to play with it and make practice cuts to compansate for it?

Thanks!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I don't use text a lot, and tend to print more than I cut.

I think the space above and below the fonts are something to do with the font itself or the way the software reads it, and I don't know that you can change it. It may be something to do with line spacings? However you can place the text where you like in relation to other text, and this surplus space shouldn't interfere. It used to bother me too to start with but I've not had any problems with it, and just ignore it now.

Regarding size, I've never particularly checked measurements, as they always look near enough to me! I don't always worry about it being too accurate initially, as you can select and drag to whatever height/width you need. I tend to do it by eye and use the grid settings to help me. For cardmaking I simply make a rectangle to the size I am going to work with, and use it as a guide to place and size the text.

But someone else may be able to offer better advice!

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    yes i agree you dont seem to be able to size exactely. like niki i tend to do most of my work by eye.

if i do want text to be more exact i draw an oblong to the height i want my text and use that as a guide for height