Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Thread: Please Help!

Treat people as you would like to be treated! Mrs O's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (52)

Please Help!

Even though I have been on uks for a couple of years, I have never really got stuck into card making, I have done the odd one or two but never felt they were really any good and mainly from qvc kits, so I have decided that this year I would love to get involved in making more cards and use some of my stash thats mounting up to do it.

So with this in mind I thought I would ask on here what size card's you tend to make and whether they are ready scored etc or do you make your own from cardstock but if you do that how and what do you make your envelopes out of, apologies if this seems a bit of a stupid basic question.

Your replies would be very much appreciated, many thanks
    . . . Sharon . . .

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I'm just getting back into cardmaking, so I had loads of blank cards from kits and what not that are now getting used up. After this I'm looking to make my own blanks. I believe alot of the girls buy their card from the Paper Mill shop (online and also shops across the country).

Sure there was a thread a few weeks ago....(off to try and find it..)

ETA - not sure what thread it was but sure someone else will be able to enlighten us
    ShOnA

You can visit my blog here : Millie Sparkles

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (101)
    Having run out of card blanks and envelopes I have started using my cardstock instead - bulk bought some envelopes which are just a bit bigger than 6x6 (in case the card is lumpy). I have a score it gadget so scoring is no problem but prior to that I used the scoring blade on my trimmer
    Tree

The Treehouse
    SWAPS AND CJS LAST UPDATED 29/08/2010

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I use the Crafter's Companion card/box board to score card blanks now. I used to use packs of card blanks but it was getting tricky to find the quality I wanted at a reasonable price. Now I just use cardstock from Papermill and make my own.

At Christmas I was making some odd sized cards, so I made my own envelopes using the Enveloper Pro board. I do have a stock of bought envelopes in the main card sizes though.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (65)
    if you're starting out might be good idea to get some readymade card blanks with envelopes, then you just need to get sticking. i'm making some for school to raise money and got 50 for just less than £5 which i thought was a bargain and would save me a bit of time.
    have a look in the gallery and go for it

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I buy card at the papermill & cut to size. I prefer making 5*7 or square cards, a5 is too big, a6 too small.

I had my cake and ate it too!! Pink Chocolate's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (83)
    Quote Originally Posted by playingwpaper View Post
    I buy card at the papermill & cut to size. I prefer making 5*7 or square cards, a5 is too big, a6 too small.
    my feelings exactly

View Gallery

Thanks for your replies. I have noticed that in the card kits etc I've had from qvc they tend to be the A6 size which to me seem too small for cards, I'll probably use those for Thank you notes. Quite like the idea of 5 x 7 and the 6 x 6 sizes and maybe go for the A5 if it's a special occasion. I do have an enveloper, never used just stuffed in a cupboard Think a trip to Ellesmere Port is in order for my paper and cardstock
    . . . Sharon . . .

Just trying to track down my mojo...anyone seen it? GRIGGSY's Avatar
    View Gallery

I buy my cards pre scored and cut from Craft Creations. Not sure if this is the cheapest but I find that it is the easiest way. I tend to use a mix of card sizes such as 69x184mm, 104x152mm, 144x144mm and upwards depending on what I am using them for. I find that I dont always cut straight so buying them this way is just easier for me. Hope this helps.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    I buy my card from PaperMill too and make my own card blanks.

I'm a big card person - A5 mainly or large square. Done quite a few A4 lately too.

A6 too small for normal, but I do make notelets that size and most wedding invtations I make are A6 or 5 inch square.

Buy my A5 envelopes pre-made as I use a lot of them but sometimes make them with patterned paper for special cards.
    Nic

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellyphant View Post
    I buy my card from PaperMill too and make my own card blanks.

I'm a big card person - A5 mainly or large square. Done quite a few A4 lately too.

A6 too small for normal, but I do make notelets that size and most wedding invtations I make are A6 or 5 inch square.
    Me too, I don't think I've made an A6 card yet. Also get my card from the PaperMill Shop (I have one just round the corner from where I work so pop in there when I need to.)

View Gallery

hello, I buy all my card from the papermill.. and make 6"x6" I always use the left over bit for the alphabet dies... or to stamp the image on if the right size.
    have a bone folder to score.. easy enough
    I buy my envelopes from the market they are lovely and thick and only cost £1.20 for 20.. and there great. source out your envelopes...

amanda

View Gallery

Thank you for all this information it is a real help to me I quite like the idea of the linen cardstock but noticed they don't have the linen paper to go with it
    . . . Sharon . . .