Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Funny HA HA, Not Funny Peculiar! madhattermillie's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (27)
    Maria : from what i have read, you will have to give more than username and email, but postal address too. i think you have completely misunderstood - and to compare this to a terrorist attack is bang out of order!

Why dont you just wait for the link and apply for access, you might get on! its not about being new, its about being credible, so get out and chat on the threads, get to know your machine, try some of the tutorials out. You may surprise yourself and make some great templates, but until you give it a go you wont know.

we all have the same info available, no one really knows whats happening, so we all have to wait!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by maria View Post
    And I find it a bit hard to belong to the 2nd group, because obviously new comers feel automatically suspected that they MIGHT do something bad with your templates.
    If a stranger comes to your door, do you let him in without a question and show him everything you have in your house?

And I think you lock your door if you leave your house don't you?

Its something like that.
    hugs, meadelie

I already do the best I can. Take it or leave it. anne88's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (65)
    Quote Originally Posted by madhattermillie View Post
    Maria : from what i have read, you will have to give more than username and email, but postal address too. i think you have completely misunderstood - and to compare this to a terrorist attack is bang out of order!

Why dont you just wait for the link and apply for access, you might get on! its not about being new, its about being credible, so get out and chat on the threads, get to know your machine, try some of the tutorials out. You may surprise yourself and make some great templates, but until you give it a go you wont know.

we all have the same info available, no one really knows whats happening, so we all have to wait!
    I was not refering to the terrorist attack as such, I wouldn't joke with that, I was refering to what people feel when they are automatically suspected. Again, wrong choice of words and again I am french. But you are right, I probably misunderstood the original post.
    As of knowing my machine, I started and I also make some templates. What I meant was that there is no comparison, between what I do and some of the work other people post. I don't think anybody would be fascinated to know that I finally managed to cut simple shapes like a circle within a square and doing that brightened my day...

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I don't think anyone who participates in the forum has anything to fear: if at present you are only in the position to ask for help in doing something, this is at least indicating that you're making some attempt at learning to use your Robo - and at the same time you're making yourself known to the Robo community as a genuine user. So don't worry: if anyone at all, it's only the unknown free riders that could possibly be considered suspect... but since the culprits have already been identified and banned, then you are surely in the clear.

And thanks to Mary Anne and Smax for the behind the scenes work that you've been doing to resolve this, it is really appreciated. And I know that it is as important to you as it is to us, as after all UKS is your "baby"!...

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

Mad Cat Person!!! EmilyLovedHim's Avatar
    aka Bagpuss so in the shop window of course!
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    Maria that would brighten my day too so you are not alone!!
    Helen
    MY BLOG
    >^..^<Gottachat CJ >^..^<.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

A lot of thought and hard work has gone into this.
    We now know that something is being done, we just have to wait and see.
    If you are an honest template user looks like no problems as they will be able to trace people as they will be getting more info from us.
    They will have a licence for data protection so no problems with that (unless like the goverment, they send it through the post!sorry that is off topic!)
    I'm happy to give more details as long as it protects those who who share templates
    So Thank you
    Averil

Love pretty paper and dies Fairysparkle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (30)
    Well done to working this all out Mary Anne and SMAX
    I hope this protects all the templates and the designers
    Lorraine

View Gallery

a big thank you Maryanne and smax such a lot of hard work for you, myself and i am sure others on here, are much appreciated of all your hard work, i am so glad a solution has be found and look forward to seeing all those wonderful templates again from all those clever people who are so willing to share.

Kate

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

And on a good note - for me but not necessarily anyone else! .....

I have just made a template that I am thinking of using for a kind of a christmas card! I started playing with a simple card that just cuts out Merry Christmas 2007 on the diagonal across the card front but then thought that I would just send it as a half - no message bit - I will put a hole in it and some ribbon - back it with tissue paper and then they can hang it in the window - kind or like a suncatcher thingy!

I would not have sat and done this had it not been for this naughty person nicking all the templates and forcing my hand - of course the fact that I had a cancelled appointment this morning has helped!

Now I just need to suss out how to make an envelope for it!

RUthx

Funny HA HA, Not Funny Peculiar! madhattermillie's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (27)
    Quote Originally Posted by maria View Post
    I don't think anybody would be fascinated to know that I finally managed to cut simple shapes like a circle within a square and doing that brightened my day...
    sweetie, if i had managed to do that in my first few weeks of having the robo, i would have shouted it from the rooftops! but it does all get easier, and to manage to cut anything as a newbie, you have every right to shout about it!

do you have the updated robomaster software with auto trace? if you do, just try putting some silhouette images in and get a feel for it! i started by doing that and then altering the images slightly, moving and removing nodes. I am nowhere near the quality of some of the people who have templates to sell, but it gets me by!

dont be down on yourself about what you can/cant do!

View Gallery

can I just say that being a relative newbie I do feel just a little bit second class ok we can get to grips with our machines but some of us have less brain cells and it takes us longer I do hope that we will be included as we look up to the great designers and hope one day be able to do the same Im quite willing to give all my details and would love someone to pop round and vet me out cup of tea included regards jen

Mad Cat Person!!! EmilyLovedHim's Avatar
    aka Bagpuss so in the shop window of course!
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie View Post
    And on a good note - for me but not necessarily anyone else! .....

I have just made a template that I am thinking of using for a kind of a christmas card! I started playing with a simple card that just cuts out Merry Christmas 2007 on the diagonal across the card front but then thought that I would just send it as a half - no message bit - I will put a hole in it and some ribbon - back it with tissue paper and then they can hang it in the window - kind or like a suncatcher thingy!

I would not have sat and done this had it not been for this naughty person nicking all the templates and forcing my hand - of course the fact that I had a cancelled appointment this morning has helped!

Now I just need to suss out how to make an envelope for it!

RUthx
    WAY TO GO RUTHIE!!!!
    Helen
    MY BLOG
    >^..^<Gottachat CJ >^..^<.

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    We know this is not foolproof, but it is as secure as we can make it given the limitations of the software. People will need to click a link to an email which will come to me and then they will be granted permission to view the forum and download the templates. No one who doesn't request access will be able to see the images of the templates or to download the GSDs. This allows us to KNOW, at any time, who has access. Of course we have no idea how many templates have ALREADY been downloaded and are waiting to be compiled and sold, but this SHOULD keep it from happening for anything new added or anything downloaded from this point on.

No, we can't limit by IP address - and that is because of how so many of the ISPs assign IP addresses - AOL, Hotmail, etc have a rolling selection of IP addresses that get assigned to all members on any given day, so 100s of people may be sharing the same IP address. We do have the Alterego detector which tells us if two members are sharing a COMPUTER and that is in some ways more reliable in terms of discovering people who are members with more than one user name. And two users names won't have the same access - even if someone were to join and then join under a new name, the new name would still have to be given access - they won't be able to share the info - and more critically they won't be able to share a password on some group somewhere and allow others access. It is all controlled by user name.

But to you there will be no difference in your use of UKS. Once you get added to the new user group, UKS will behave exactly the same for you except you will be able to see and to download templates.

Keep in mind that nothing is totallly secure - as has been suggested in other threads what's to keep people who are determined to do it from buying a CD, even a CD with all the warnings on it, and dupllicating it to sell? The best hope is what we have suggested, I thnk - limiting access to those who are willing to provide real info , and with luck a Graphtec patch that allows for the inclusion of a non-removable copyright warning on the GSD.

The problem in the past was anyone could join UKS and download templates - the vast majority of members used the templates, joined in the forums, gave as well as got. This way we will KNOW who has access, by user name and with more real-life details. People won't be able to come on UKS, join as a member, and download with no one being the wiser. If you want to be able to access the templates you will have to agree. Having done so, if it is proven later that someone did resell work, at the very least we can pass n the fact they agreed the T&Cs when they got access - which means they can't plead ignorance of T&Cs governing use of the templates and if they do try to resell them in some form they have done so KNOWING it is prohibited (useful for any required legal action)

So the ONLY difference to you is that you will have a secondary user group associated with your member name that allows you greater access - and we know you have access.

I already do the best I can. Take it or leave it. anne88's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (65)
    Quote Originally Posted by madhattermillie View Post
    sweetie, if i had managed to do that in my first few weeks of having the robo, i would have shouted it from the rooftops! but it does all get easier, and to manage to cut anything as a newbie, you have every right to shout about it!

do you have the updated robomaster software with auto trace? if you do, just try putting some silhouette images in and get a feel for it! i started by doing that and then altering the images slightly, moving and removing nodes. I am nowhere near the quality of some of the people who have templates to sell, but it gets me by!

dont be down on yourself about what you can/cant do!
    Thank you, so sweet of you. Yes, the first time you put something you made yourself into your Robo and it cuts it, it's really fantastic, whatever it is !
    I have autotrace, yes and I am working on it. As you say, currently trying to get a feel for it and pushing these little nodes. It's far from easy, but getting there I suppose.
    And I also studied the Inscape tutorial on how to make a mat (kindly posted by Suzy ? I think) and I got that too for basic designs.
    What I miss is the 3D mind to imagine how to create, let's say a basic car. That's the hard one and I have to work in order to get that. I dissecated (don't know if it is an english word, actually) a template I downloaded from UKS, about a card that had round edges, to try to understand how it was built. So yes, I work a lot on my robo. It was either understanding or giving up, and I don't think that a piece of equipment is entitled to resist me ... Even dropped my job to concentrate on that It is true that when you first get your robo, or at least when I got mine, I had different expectations, I thought it would be easier. But hey... no pain, no gain. Maria xxx

View Gallery

Fabulous, thanks for all the work, like many others I am not good at designing templates other than words - so used this site a lot
    Zoe