Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

What's the thickest card Craft Robo can cut?

I am having problems cutting through A4 card with my Craft Robo. Even cutting the card twice - it still doesn't cut all the way through. I'm not sure if the blade is blunt or the card I am trying to cut is too thick.
    Can anyone please tell me what the best GSM card I can cut with Craft Robo?
    Dave

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    what grm weight is your card?

it should cut upto about 220/230 i think from memory but ive been away for 10 days i my very little brain has relaxed!

its not alwways thickness of card that can effect cutting, its density mouister, coating etc.

i wouldnt cut anything that doesnt cut on max thickness that needs more than 2 cuts no matter what gram weight.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Rosemary put a posting on a while back about card weight and which cap would cut what.

Blue will cut up to 100gsm
    Yellow will cut up to 160/170 gsm
    Red will cut up to 200/220 gsm

This is taken from her post. It is a lot more comprehensive if you look back over the threads. It also tells you what type of material the robo will cut.

Please take my credit card away!!!!!! Tosca's Avatar
    View Gallery

Ah, now. Somebody posted a list of weights somewhere. I'll go see if I can find it unless sombody knows and finds it before me,

Editing:
    I remember now, I downloaded it from somewhere else but basically, it's 230 microns/ 170-180 gsm. This is the flexible card suitable for folding etc. I think in general bazill is the thickest you'd get away with, I can do it in one pass with the pink blade and 2 O rings, but some can't seem to cut it at all.

It's a bit of trial and error I think, but I know that every card that I use for actually making cards (which is not thin crap) I have been able to cut on my Robo.
    Last edited by Tosca; 12-08-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    LORRAINE

I'm not a complete idiot.......some pieces are missing!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    i cut 270 gsm but sometimes needs 2 cuts and it depends where i buy it too

tina x

Mad Cat Person!!! EmilyLovedHim's Avatar
    aka Bagpuss so in the shop window of course!
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    I have even found that different colours can vary as I thought I had cracked it and then found that the bright pink I had did not cut on the same setting as the black!
    Helen
    MY BLOG
    >^..^<Gottachat CJ >^..^<.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks all for the advice

Thanks all for the advice. My blade must be blunt I'll have to order a new one. Can any tell me the best place to buy a new blade?

Dave

View Gallery

dave if you have the new machine ie white one make sure your blade is in properly for cutting ie qtr turn.

if unsure someone with the white model will be able to explain better i have the blue model and blade is slightly different.

View Gallery

If you have the white machine then lift up the cover and you will see a diagram explaining what stressed means! Basically the piece that fits in the front facing the blue "wheel" that tightens it needs to be turned a quarter to the right - look at the diagram and it will make more sense!

If you need a new blade then the crafty club does them P&P free.
    Helen
    MY BLOG

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks

Thanks Stressed and Helen - I have the blue Robo.

Dave

View Gallery

dave if you have the blue robo like me are you using stand off rings also know as 'o' rings?

they are tiny white plastic washers that slide over the blade housing before you slot it into the robo.

you normally get one when you get your machine, they come for some reason inside the carrier sheet packs.

i have 2 and keep them both on the machine all the time for card it gives extra cutting pressure which will help to cut thicker.

theres a template somewhere in the template section that you could cut from thin card as a tempory measure.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Quote Originally Posted by helenmurp View Post
    I have even found that different colours can vary as I thought I had cracked it and then found that the bright pink I had did not cut on the same setting as the black!
    Yes- different dye colours can cause the same brand of card/paper to have different properties - it was one of the early Wishblade/Robo cutting discoveries, and it's similar with some embroidery threads where darker dyes seem to make for thinner threads than the lighter colours.

Rosemary

View Gallery

Thought it was just me with the threads as I had noticed this too and everyone told me I was mad!!!!
    Helen
    MY BLOG

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by stressed View Post
    dave if you have the blue robo like me are you using stand off rings also know as 'o' rings?

they are tiny white plastic washers that slide over the blade housing before you slot it into the robo.

you normally get one when you get your machine, they come for some reason inside the carrier sheet packs.

i have 2 and keep them both on the machine all the time for card it gives extra cutting pressure which will help to cut thicker.

theres a template somewhere in the template section that you could cut from thin card as a tempory measure.
    Thanks Stressed it was a missing stand off ring that was causing the problem. When I went to change the blade settings a piece of what I thought was white card fell off. The stand off ring must have broken. I put in a new stand off ring and Robo now cuts OK.

Dave