Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

.dxf Taking Ages

hi guys

sorry its me again.

i have had a lot of help from susibi with regards to inkscape and a couple of other problems (which i thank her for once again).

i am so proud that i've managed to do a very very simple melded word in inkscape and i've saved the file etc as per the tutorial on here, i then go to robo, file - load dxf and select the file - it opens robo master and thats where it stops. it says at bottom left of page that its loading the file and to press esc to cancel. i've been waiting for 20 mins for the file to load and i'm assuming that by now its not going to load.

any ideas anyone - is there something i'm doing wrong is it just that my machine HATES me and is making me a paranoid person LOL
    Nikann

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    dont know why that has happened it could be the way you have saved it in inkscape.

if it takes ages to save in inkscape that usually means you havent done the - view outline step, so as you havent mentioned that bit i assume you did that.

so i always svae my inklscape work to my desktop, so i would click

file
    save as
    name it in the box that pops up
    choose desktop
    and choose
    .dxf from the drop down file extensions on the bottom right hand side

you have to wait for inkscape to save dont be in a rush you will get a black box something about python or some such message

once thats cleared and you are back to your viewing image inkscape screen, jhust minimise dont close down at this point you can always go back and tinker

then open robomaster and do file load and it should load straight away.

try that and let us know how you get on

another tip work in landscape in inkscape and at about 50% or bigger, doing this ive found that i can always see my work without any problems when i do the robomaster file load bit.

ive even set my inkscape to default as that so i dont have to mess around everytime i open a new blank doc

View Gallery

stressed

thank you so much - what would i do without people like you on here.

i followed your instructions to the letter and guess what - it worked!!!

i know where i went wrong before - when the box about python came up i closed it down - thats the only thing i did different.

thanks again and now i'm going back to playing with this machine LOL
    Nikann

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    The python (which is actually a programming language!) box is the vital part of the process - it's the bit where your file is converted in to the dxf format - so on no account close it down! Sometimes you'll see the box open and sometimes not if it's very quick, but if it appears just let it be - it'll close in its own good time when it's done.

Rosemary

View Gallery

hi guys

thank you so much for all the help you've given me.

i THINK i've finally managed to sort this out - well maybe i have. i left he python box and yes it saved and will load in robo master. all apart from one that won't load but thats a rubbish one anyway.

i am not having much luck with the welded words on an edge so thats what i'm going to messing about with today - my boys are moaning that i've not made a card since getting this machine because i'm playing about too much and as my 15yr old said 'mum you are trying to run before you can walk' .... don't u just love kids. by rights i shouldn't have my robo until tomorrow - my boys brought it for my birthday and i got it early - so tomorrow i may make a card with it (my official birthday).

i did try a word on the edge card but for some reason it wouldn't work properly so lots more playing about is needed for that me thinks.

anyway, have a good day and thanks again
    Nikann

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    When you follow the welding instructions you must follow the steps exactly, and you must make sure when you are selecting things that you have got everything selected that needs to be. If you miss out a step, or a bit of what should be selected, then it won't work. Try joining just one letter and a rectangle, you should be able to see that the edges have disappeared where they're joined. If not try again - you'll have missed a step. Then try two letters and a rectangle. If that's Ok go for your whole word!

Rosemary