Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)

Family birthdays - exhausting for the cardmaker?

Does anyone else find that when there is a big family birthday they end up making loads of different cards in different styles?

For example, this week my niece will be 18. She's over here from New Zealand on a gap year, mainly staying round the corner with her grandmother (my MIL) but spending some time here too. So, obviously I want to make a card from me and DH, but then her grandmother would like me to make one for her, DS wants a funny one made, and I'm waiting for DD to announce on Thursday (the b/d is Friday) that she NEEDS me to make one for her too! To be fair she would normally make one herself but GCSEs start next Tuesday.

With all this I end up staying up all hours making several cards for the same person!

Here are the two I've finished so far - DS's funny and MIL's flowery!

I still have to do ours, I think I'm going to do something funky but monochrome (with a hint of pink or red, perhaps.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eileen

Dedicated Scrapper mad about cats's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    They are great cards she will be so pleased to get these I bet.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (26)

Cards

Your cards look really good! Well done!

Have you thought about making a tag book for her with photo's of the family?
    Something different that you can give her and something different for yourself to do!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Lovely cards.
    I am lucky, in a way.... both my mother and one aunt make cards... and my aunt makes oodles of them so that other rellies buy from her. Works out fine for all of us.. I dont have time to do cards for everyone like that... so, just as well.
    Karen

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (30)
    Lovley cards - am also liking the idea of a tag book too
    Janice

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (67)
    Its worse in my school when someone is leaving and I have requests to make about 20 cards from different people FOR the same person !!!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (49)
    Love the kiwi one!

I'm a Scraphazard!!
    Eventually joined the blogging community!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (34)
    They are lovely cards I usually only have 3 at a time to make for the same person - one from us, one from daughter and one from son!!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I used to have that problem as people at work would ask for cards for someone else that worked at the same place. It is really difficult to make something really different. I solved it by doing a waterfall card, decoupage, iris folding and a couple of unrelated designs.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    eileen, I sympathise with your problem! While it's brilliant to sit down and get making, it's often the ideas for me that take time to come. I've got 2 toddlers and if I know I'll be making cards that evening, I plan ahead by dreaming up some ideas while I'm doing bathtime or washing up! That way I can get straight down to it when the time comes.

However, I do tend to make batches of 6 or 8 similar cards. To make them different for the same rellie, I would be tempted to use the ideas from magazines for your inspiration! The ones you have already done are great.
    Tiff xxx

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I always get the job of making cards for people who leave or have birtdays at work too! Luckily for me though, we normally tend to just have one large card to give to the person! And because I make the card, I get out of having to pay towards the present!

Swaps: Alphabets, Decorated Chipboard
    My Blog: The Krafty Korner

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (45)
    i used to find that, but now i make batches of carsd...i sell them at work too, so if they want work cards they can choose from whats there, or igve me reasonable notice for "special" ones..

(i put some of the oiney into charity, and so people know they are are helping someone else out too)

at home i keep a shoebox of cards, ready for the next event...

but for my birthday, last month, 6 of the cards i got i had made myself...!and its funnny to see which ones people choose for me!
    Iana

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Quote Originally Posted by iana
    ...but for my birthday, last month, 6 of the cards i got i had made myself...!and its funnny to see which ones people choose for me!
    Did you like them though?

Rosemary

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (45)
    I like most of what I make, if that makes sense, or I don't actually enjoy the making, and that for me is the best bit!

Occassionally i'll be asked to make a specific card, and i dont alwasy like those as much, or one won't go quite the way i planned - but i've been amazed that often something i dont like will sell v quickly, so i've stopped worrying!
    Iana