Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Thread: Envelopes

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Question Envelopes

I use a program from Red Castle Inc that prints my envelopes to a custom size then all I have to do is cut them out, but I made some cards recently that are too big to fit on an A4 sheet and I wondered what others do in this situation??

Where do people buy their paper for making envelopes?

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

Torty lover and mum of 6 (two girls, two dogs, Pazzle & Robo) craftyvirgo's Avatar
    View Gallery

Hi Lucille
    Just noticed your message. I too have problems getting hold of good quality A3 paper for making envelopes. In fact I have just bought a craft robo which helps me greatly as I can make two halves of envelope to a reasonable size and put them together (if you know what I mean i.e. cutting out from two A4 sheets) - this would normally be just too much to bother about by hand, but the robo is very accurate. Normally I use the enveloper, but paper is a problem. You can use plain 12 x 12 scrapbooking paper, but it is so expensive. If you go online you can find businesses that sell plain A3 paper but again you need to buy in bulk to get all the colours - it certainly is a problem and if I find anything out I will let you know and likewise, perhaps you could do the same.

Pauline x

View Gallery

Thanks Pauline, it is nice to know it isn't just me. Todate I have used printer paper or bought envelopes, but I got some lovely dutch cutting/embossing templates at Christmas and they do make odd sized cards.

I have had a CR for a couple of years now and as soon as I got the templates I scanned them in and traced them so I can get CR to cut out the fiddly bit. It makes a much better job of them than I would, shame it won't do the embossing as well, but I like embossing so don't mind.

Your idea about cutting the envelopes over 2 sheets of paper is a good idea, it is a pity that the CR software won't let you do a big design and split it evenly over 2 pages for you, how lazy am I

Have you been surfing for envelope paper at craft sites? I might have a Google tonight and see if anything comes up. You would think that the people who make templates for odd sized cards would market envelope paper.

Live Laugh Love Craftspirations's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (19)
    I have some paper packs which are cut just right for making envelopes. they are in pastel colours. here

Edited to post a link
    Last edited by Craftspirations; 15-01-2007 at 08:43 PM.
    Gail

View Gallery

Thank you Gail as soon as I have finished clearing my Inbox I will have to get the ruler out.

Torty lover and mum of 6 (two girls, two dogs, Pazzle & Robo) craftyvirgo's Avatar
    View Gallery

Hi Lucille

I have searched everywhere - you name it - I've been there, but it is very difficult. Thanks to Gail who has suggested the craftspirations website, but that does not necessarily help with regard to odd size cards etc. I have to say that hubby gave me a lovely xmas card that was far from a standard size(large and oblong) and I have saved the envelope to try and make a template. It would fit nicely on full length A3 paper, (doing the old one sheet for the front and one for the back number) but white A3 photocopying paper is very thin and doesn't look particularly nice - but its all I have at the moment until I find something better - I will definately keep looking and will most certainly let you know if I find anything.
    Pauline x

View Gallery

Hi Pauline

I am still trying to clear my inbox my monitor when down yesterday and we had to get a new one, this is the first chance I have had to do anything on the PC.

I will keep looking as well and if I find anything I will let you know. I even thought about the dutch sites that make the templates I buy, but no luck there at the moment.

unicorn baby
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (68)
    I have seen nice envelopes made from wallpaper and gift wrap, may be an idea for you

Mandychap

View Gallery

That sounds like an avenue worthy of exploration and that makes me think Anna Griffin do some nice papers as well

I saw a LO that had wallpaper on it the other day and it look great.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Non Standard Envelopes

I too have been searching for a decent weight of A3 paper (Cream or ivory), but can only locate 80gsm, I wanted 100gsm as a minimum.

Basically I want to make cards that fall just within the registration mark areas of the robo (which I think was 130mm x 190mm when folded). Sure there is an envelope that is available at 133mm x 184mm (called a G5 size or if you are in the US, then its called an A7, which is not the same size as the A7 that we use here - aaahhhh), but the price for these was way out of my league anyway.

The wallpaper idea has sent a spark or two into the old grey matter called my brain. So will be heading off to the local DIY shop at the weekend.