Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cutting card

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

cutting card

i want to cut some holographic card what settings do i put it on and what color cap. it told me to put the yellow one on and it adjusted the settings itself. but t didnt cut right through. it only cut the top layer off the card.

its the new craft robo i have..

also how do i get fold lines . for instance if i want to cut a happy birthday to pop up on the inside of the card..

havent even attempted that one yet

Acorn

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I would use the pink cap and take the thickness depth right upto 30
    before you send it to cut hit the test cut button it will put a tine tiny square in the top corner with a triangle in the middle take it out of the machine and see if its cut clean through.

if not copy and paste the image ontop of itself and then hit cut, what you are doing is in effect cutting it twice.

i have the blue & silver model that would be what i would do if you have the new model you may get it done without the copy and paste bit.

with regards to a dashed line draw a straight line from within your robomaster page say in red goto
    file output settings
    then cutline settings

you will see you red line, click on the words 'solid line' and change it to dashed

it will not cut anyother colour as a cut and red as a dashed.

View Gallery

ok tried the test it didnt cut right through. so did the copy and paste and it still didnt cut it . so did a differnt font. thinking it was to thin. and no go its cut the top layer of the card stock but it hasnt gone through. i cut it once then i went to copy and paste on top and then cut it again and still no go

is my blade faulty. it hasnt cut anything other than paper yet.
    do i have to still use the carrier sheet. to cut card and do i need to adjust anything else. before i complain to graphtec.

Acorn

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

The carrier sheet is used when you use media without backing which is pretty much everything( I also use it when I cut vinyl which isn't necessary).
    Your pink cap is the one that cuts the deepest.
    I have cut mirri and holographic ca 270 grms pink cap max depth medium speed copy and paste - went OK.
    the tougher the plastic coating on your paper or card the more difficult it is to cut so go slowly.
    Susibi

View Gallery

hi

changed the speed to slower and its still not cutting right through. copy and pasted five times and still not cut right through. i coud scream..

the only thing i have managed to cut is paper so far and that tore. . something must be wrong. can u tell me what the offset value is for please. that is the only thing i dont know about now..

thankyou

Acorn

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Which blade cap are you using?
    Susibi

View Gallery

i am using the pink blade for the card i used the blue for the paper. its telling me t use the yellow. but it wont cut at all with that.
    i was thinking of uninstaling the software and installing it again. what do you think is my blade faulty or is it the software.
    do you have the number for graphtec. i can ring them tomorrow

Acorn

thanks

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Sounds like a blade problem - but you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the software.
    The media settings do not include the pink cap settings for some reason so you have to insert your own.
    If I remember rightly there is a file somewhere giving a load of additional settings but can't remember where - someone's downloaded it though I'm sure.
    I don't have the Graphtec number but I'm sure it's on the site when you go to download the software.
    Susibi

View Gallery

Thankyou susibi
    i will ring them tomorow its not cutting anything at all now its as if its blunt and it is dragging. thankyou for the info..

Acorn

View Gallery

if you have been trying to cut this card that could possibly be to thick for the machine, you could have dulled the blade yourself.

did you try to cut anything on just plain simple copy paper or ordinary paper first?

before you do this take the blade out and put it back in making sure you hold the blade holder and push the blade in as far as it will go if i remember from the demo you have to insert it with a qrt turn for the white model.

then try this but it may now not give you a true reflection

draw a simple square or circle on a blank document, then send to cut with the blue cap, thin media setting, speed 1 or 2 thickness about 5 or 6.

see what happens

View Gallery

hi it cut the media that came with it the paper. but it wouldnt cut anything else. the card i have is not very thick at all. too thin to make card from so it should have cut.
    i tried some card that i bought yesterday first. but it didnt cut that either. then i went to cut the holographic card it cut the silver foil from the top but not right through even on five cuts. it will cut the paper if its 80gsm but any thicker and it wont. my freind has this machine and her blade was blunt after the second cut she made with paper.

i am so mad as it was a christmas present and am now being shouted at as he thinks he has wasted his money.. MEN!!

my craft knife is shaper than this blade and i have had three years.

Acorn

View Gallery

oh dear the balde are very small and delicate and some people have damaged them when first using sometimes because they have not inserted them properly or i think i also remember someone peeling the wrong part of the carrier sheet away and the media slipped and the blade caught onto the metal cutting strip, so many things can happen along the way.

do you have amagnifying glass you can look at the balde through to see if you can see anything having said that as it is very small maybe you wouldnt.

I would ring graphtec tech supp and talk to steve and see if he can offer any suggestions, he may tell you to return the blade for their inspection and if its faulty they will replace it for you. this can usualy be done in a few days so you wont be without it long.

dont give up on it it is a machine after all that is run by us and most times it is our fault when things go wrong but it can also be the machine from time to time. Ive had some strange cutting problems today but i think thats down to the new software i dont think its 100% stable.

when i get 5mins i am going to look into that further.

View Gallery

do you know the number for steve stressed. hubby has had a look at the blade but it seems fine and he says it very sharp .. so why isnt it cutting.

ii used my other freinds robo she has the old one. so i know how to do the settings i have been reading the manuals for weeks before unpacking mine.
    then other freind got the new one i she wanted to know how to use it so i printed off all the manuals for her and went through them. left her to it.. next day she rings me and say it wont cut after the paper she cut with it.
    she has bought a new blade from the place she bought and thats the same.

too expensive to keep doing that with isnt it

Acorn
    thankyou for the info Stressed. but i feel that should be my name now lol

View Gallery

have a look on graphtecgb.com i dont have my phone handy just now, the number should be there.

i think it very unlikely that there should be something wrong with 2 blades

i got my machine in june and used it alot without any problem till a part of the thread on the blade holder broke off one day in about october i sent it back to graphtec they replaced it and i was back cutting again no problem

forgot to ask what exactely were you trying to cut? was it something you drew or if it was a template which one and we can look to see if we can try it out for you.

or click on my name and send me an email with the file i will open it and look at it

View Gallery

all i was trying to cut was a 50 number in ariel and happy birthday in lucidia caligraphy
    then i tried a diff font i tried a thick one cant remeber what it was and did a merry christmas one. that didnt cut either i buy all my card from the paper mill and it wont cut any of it. if it wont cut the one i tried.
    the holograhpic one was from my local craft shop its says 200gsm on it. i dont want to use it now or they might say that i have damaged it.how can it go blunt on that card its not much thicker than card from the paper mill.i did do the turn as i watched it on the tv before i used it. and i have used the carrier sheet with it all the time.

Acorn