Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

ha ha Acetate Cards......

Hi there, I am new to UKS, but not to card-making... I have been hearing about acetate cards and I wonder if you could help me, how do you make them???! Am I being really clueless here.... is it just a sheet of acetate folded in half to make the card blank and then decorated or is it something harder? They look too amazing to be simple!!!
    Also if anyone has any pictures of acetate cards that they've made and could post a picture of them for inspiration purposes I would be very grateful. Thank you!!
    Jenny

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    As far as I am aware, they are just that: a piece of acetate, folded in half just as you would any cardstock for a blank, and decorated.
    People often use eyelets to attach cardstock to the center of the pages...
    I have not done one, but intend to, at some point.. when I get time!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (76)
    I made a card with acetate here

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (18)
    A couple of mine. There are different qualities of acetate available so just make sure you get a thick one and wash your hands before starting as it's easy to get fingerprints smears on it. I usually layer my main image and attach to the front of the card and then attach the final layer on the inside of the card back-to-back IYKWIM, this covers any double sided tape and also gives me somewhere to write the greeting (on the second card the stamped image and gold glitter card are taped to the outside and the red layer is taped to the inside)
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (76)
    Oooh those are fab Sue!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (18)
    Thanks Jo

Yours looks amazing, a lot more work gone into it (mine is just stamped images layered and stuck on - not much skill involved LOL) I love how you have painted the edges of the acetate, might have to steal that idea if that's okay?

Thanks everyone, you've given me some great ideas to start off with :-) I will let you know how my card turns out!!!
    Jenny

Dedicated Scrapper Sharon Betts's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (13)
    Wow, Jo and scubiesue, those are lovely. Feeling all inspired - whether I actually do one is another matter entirely!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Great cards.. I may have to have a go...

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I did an article on acetate cards for Simply Cards and Papercraft - Issue 22. I sewed one - acetate to acetate with translucent confetti trapped inside, printed a photo onto a printable transparency and sewed that on to an acetate blank, used foam stamps and acrylic paint to stamp onto a frosted plastic card blank, used printed vellum insert inside a translucent card with a greeting on the outside I think (can't remember now) and a few others. I'm currently making a Christmas card at a craft evening I'm running with a outline of a star sewn onto the front layer with embroidery thread, a strip of patterned paper inside with a star stamped in acrylic paint half on the paper and half just on the acetate. Hard to describe but I'll photograph it in the next couple of days and put it on my blog. I love acetate cards and have been making them for years. pm me if you want to know a good supplier for thick acetate and a frosted acetate that are perfect for these cards.