Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

GSD Files - Adobe Illustrator

HI

I have made some templates and saved them as GSD files (when I was using the robo master software) but now i am using illustrator and want to cut these files through illustrator rather than from robo master. I know I can't directly open GSD files in Illustrator, but is there any way round this?

Thanks

Kathie

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I had the same problem, sorry to say so far I have not found a way. I now don't export the files as GSD, I just do everything from Illustrator, it cuts a lot faster than the CR software any way.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks Lucille for your reply, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear lol!

I have been using Illustrator for the past week or so, and it cuts so much smoother and quicker than the robo master software does. Unfortunately I made quite a few templates in robo master before I started using Illustrator, guess I am either gonna have to put up with cutting them in robo master or redo them

Kathie

View Gallery

You know what they say practice makes perfect It also makes a lot faster believe me.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Shot in the dark but can't you make them into pdfs, open in Illustrator ad cut that way?
    Have got the CS2 as a demo and do admit that all you Illustrator peeps are right - I did some welded words and it whizzed round them indecently fast!! Will have to start saving now for CS2 unless XARA decide to make a bridge like Illustrator
    Susibi

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Just tried to make a pdf file from a GSD file, but I think I must be doing something wrong. I open my GSD file, change my printer settings to Adobe Acrobat, then select print - it asks me to save the file (which I do) then it opens a PDF file, but it is just blank. Anyone know how to do this?

Thanks

Kathie

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

i did the same thing yesterday, you have to go into the tab that says print settings and tick the box that says print cut lines then click ok

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thank You Stressed, you are an angel. I had been messing around with all the settings and was getting nowhere. Really appreciate your help.

Kathie

View Gallery

Help me out here, my brain is addled at the moment, does this convert GSD to PDF files or not.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I took a .gsd file converted it to a .pdf then opened in Illustrator no prob. Lucille how do you cut from Illustrator when there are cut and fold lines - ie two colours ?
    Susibi

View Gallery

OMG! for me with great difficulty, there are settings somewhere that I played with one evening, but I gave up in the end. From what I remember I think I managed it once, but could not remember what I had done and could not recreate it, now if I want that I just export as GSD.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by susibi
    I took a .gsd file converted it to a .pdf then opened in Illustrator no prob. Lucille how do you cut from Illustrator when there are cut and fold lines - ie two colours ?
    Susibi
    Hiya Susibi

Not sure if this is the easiest way to do it, but what I do is I create seperate layers for each colour (or line cut type) then when you go to the robo settings, it gives you the option to change the settings for each layer. You can choose between cut line, 3 different fold lines (which you can customize) or no cut.

Kathie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

OK thanks Kathie - never thought of that! am absolutely not an illustrator person and if I get anywhere it's usually by a fluke ( apart from welded words which thanks to Tim's ( musicreative)video tutorial- from his craft robo pro site - I managed straight away). When i do do something i have to write it down otherwise I forget after 5 secs!
    Susibi

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Another thing I have found useful to do is - if I am creating a template that has various sections all cut from different coloured card - I have one layer that has all the different bits together (see left hand pic in shot) and then I make a seperate layer for each bit that is to be cut in a different colour and place them very close together (i.e the right hand side of the pic shows the hat, feet, gloves and buttons all placed closely together) this is cos I want them all cut from black card and this way I can cut them with minimal wastage. So I would select these layers to cut, then I would cut the hat band, the scarf and nose layers from red card (again placed closely together) and then finally select the body layer just to cut from white card.

I have found it useful to place each component on a seperate layer, that way if I decide to cut the gloves in a different colour from the hat etc, I can easily select just the glove layer without having to delete or move around the other sections.

snowman.jpg

Hope that makes sense.

Kathie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Query for Kathie

Hi Kathie

When cutting directly from Illustrator do you have problems in placing the designs exactly where you want it to cut. Even if I have something in the middle of the page in landscape it cuts bottom left - really close to edge and I sometime want it away from the edge, particularly away from the rollers. I am probably doing something wrong!

Thanks for any help you can give.