Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Card making magazines?

Can anyone recommend one or two mags about cardmaking? I get all the scrapbook mags but wouldn't mind adding a card one into the mix. I had a look in Smiths today but there were so many to choose from that i couldn't decide

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (106)
    not sure how much I'm allowed to name mags that aren't sponsors, but for my penny's worth I have to say I gave up on Making Cards -- they changed the format (and freebies) right after I subscribed for a year in May 2005, and can honesty say I've only made a start on one of the free sets of papers and don't remember the last time I've done more than flick through any of the new format mags. Needless to say I didn't renew my sub with them, even though the staff at shows say the new format has been very popular.

I quite like Beautiful Cards for inspiration. It is dearer than others, but only has 8 issues a year rather than 12 or 13. Loads of ideas in it, but the instructions probably aren't detailed enough for some papercrafting newbies.

Now going to wait to get well slammed and say another I've only bought 3 issues of is Simply Stamping.... bought the first 3 to give it a 'fair trial' as I love my rubber stamps, but everything in it is far to altered for my personal taste.

As for the others, until recently I've probably bought most issues of most of them -- and sub to a couple, though I can't remember of the top of my head which 2!! One of them is the one that's currently got the Christmas Embossing Board (only know that 'cos I had a minor hiccup with my sub this issue, and had to go get a copy from the shops ) But since early July I haven't had such easy access to them -- normally get them near work, but haven't been at work for more than a few days since then -- so have only picked up a couple I've seen in the supermarkets.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (48)
    scrapbook insprations sister one papercraft inspriations is a god one. you get free stitched border stamps at the mo it hink.

swaps - chinse whsiper christmas card

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (85)
    I don't get a regular cardmaking magazine anymore as I also don't like 'Simply Stamping' and have given up on 'Craft Stamper' but I do keep an eye on

Papercraft Essentials
    Card Making and Papercraft
    Simply Cards and Papercraft.

IMO these three are the better ones, certainly for usable ideas. I have had one copy of Beautiful cards and it isn't really for me as I found I didn't like the style of cards which featured most heavily.

The best thing to do is keep looking around and buy the odd one until you find one you like,

Let the good times roll......... CraftyPrincess's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (26)
    I like Papercraft Inspirations too and Card Making & Paper Craft which does have a bit of scrapping in too so good if you're on a budget .
    Leo

I grew back ... like a starfish. Kitty Crafts's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (99)
    I get Card Making and papercraft, Quick Cards made easy, Papercraft Inspirations (which I don't think is as good as the Scrapbook version) and today I bought the special Christmas issue of Beautiful cards. I love the ideas you get from magazines - if I am stuck and braindead lol - there will probably always be something in one of them. My only problem is storing them all
    Christmas Stocking Swap *** ATCoin Swap

Blog Thingy

I NEED MORE BLING!!!!! tinkypen's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    i like crafts beautiful and quick and crafty - nice mix of all things crafty!!

Dedicated Scrapper mad about cats's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    Have sent you a pm.

Thanks for the suggestions I shall go to Smiths with a list so i know what to look for - and what not to look for!

I grew back ... like a starfish. Kitty Crafts's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (99)
    Make sure you have plenty of dosh too
    Christmas Stocking Swap *** ATCoin Swap

Blog Thingy

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (34)
    another vote for quick and crafty... ziggysmammy (maria) on here has got an article in there this fridays new addition...

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    If I had to chose one I'd get Cardmaking and Papercraft too. I used to subscribe to Quick Cards Made easy but stopped after my year as I preferred other mags and now just buy a few (three or four lol) when I'm in Borders. I found that alot of the 'quick' cards in the mag required specific embellishments/sizzix dies etc, which I didn't have. Their freebies weren't great either imo - they were very kiddie - Disney, Strawberry Shortcake etc. I think they're better now though and a bit more generic.

Shona

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    I am terrible and buy them all plus a shedload of US ones too! shhh dont tell OH

are you looking at me?? dancingfrog's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (138)
    I like Simply Cards and Papercraft, Simply Stamping and they have a new quarterly mag called Complete card making that seems good too, have to say that I keep saying that I'll only buy a couple a month but usually end up with well more than that

Crafting is a lifestyle not a hobby!! Tigs's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (43)
    I tend to dip in and out of magazines as they catch my eye, I often buy Quick Cards Made Easy, Cardmaking and Papercraft and Beautiful Cards.

But there are loads of different ones and I think you should maybe try some out first buying off the shelf as everyone's style and taste is different, as are the magazines.

What a job, spending lots of time looking through all those different magazines to choose the one you like the best

Enjoy!!

Helen
    Helen

Mojo Busters 3 CJ