Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Thread: Gesso

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

Gesso

I watched a demo using gesso at Ally Pally and then bought it . I have tried to copy what I thought I saw but my results are rubbish !!! The demo I thought was that she applied it thinly to card [ I have tried matt and shiney] then put pigment ink to 2 corners and 1 edge, then blended using a baby wipe . Her results were nicely blended colours , mine are a mess and paper rubbing off the card !!! Any ideas please . Thanks Val x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    I am guessing (wildly of course) that that was Leandra from PA, who did the demo, she has far wider success than I do, but in any event it really does take quite a bit of use to get the technique bang on.

I find that up til now I have ladled on with a trowel (mixed meta') there, but you know what I mean.

You need just the tinest bit (a sploder of CC not used for items of craft is ideal), and then keep on trying - very, very, very lightly just unevenly skim the surface, dry off with heat gun or let dry (doesn't take long) and then ink as per demo.

If you consider the cost of how much gesso you actually use + time perfecting it's minimal in the whole craft scheme of things, and things can always be used for ATC's etc.

Don't give up, you will get better and better at doing it. Demonstrators have already perfected the technique, and then go on doing it time and time again so they are bound to be quite good.

Don't forget that you can also use gesso to coat sarabinders/bookplates, etc ready to paint.

Kym

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    If it wasn't Leandra then it will have been Dyan from Art from the Heart. I've been taught by both of them at an altered art weekend. Did you let your gesso dry completely first? Kym's right with the technique and a splodger really helps with this (I got mine from Leandra, it's a business card that's laminated)and you only need a small amount of colour as the babywipe carries it across the surface. You need to make sure you don't wet the surface too much, but I would also choose thin cardstock rather than paper. You could try the same technique with acrylics instead of ink. HTH

View Gallery

Oh, of course, I forgot Dyan - how could I!!! - she is like soo totally brilliant with gesso (and anything else I can think of) too.

Try using the slighly coated tags too.

I feel your pain, but keep on going hun. I need to put an order in with PA any day and I will see if I can blag a few more splodgers.

Kym

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    She is brill. I'm lucky enough to be able to go to her studio any time I choose, as I don't live far. Trouble is I spend ages and a fortune whilst I there!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (54)
    same advice as the others really, Val - use cardstock, spread the gesso on thinly, make sure it is absolutely dry, then baby wipe away I tend to get more success with nice light fluid acrylic paints (or watered down heavier bodied acrylics) than pigment inks - but either should work.
    Blog (warning, here be spoilers!) / Art Journals / Be-Stitched CJ

View Gallery

Thanks , I have the splodger, the demo was by a lady from Paper arsty. Lucy , you say you can call in anytime and I see your from East Yorkshire . I come from Howden are you anywhere near there. Perhaps you could pm me with details of where this FAB demo person hangs out !!! Many thanks to you all. I will try again [ and let it dry !!!!!!!!] Val x

View Gallery

Amazing, just had a call from Jenny (lovely demo gal at Auscraft (JoSonja), following a post along these lines of UK Stampers, and she has very kindly agreed to give me some dates to come down and give a workshop on it. Will post when I know more.

Gotta love this craft, we had to start with a very sensible conversation, and then the whole thing degenerated with a fit of the giggles when we realised what it must sound like to the outside world. Apparently, where I may be going wrong is that it is all about wrist action, and having a - now how can I put this politely - stiffer and wider application tool - any of you are laughing at this then you are as naughty as we are. Shame on you!!!

Kym

All the way from sunny, sunny Sydney! midpinkladybird's Avatar
    kickin' back on the pink leather recliner...
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy Girl
    Gotta love this craft, we had to start with a very sensible conversation, and then the whole thing degenerated with a fit of the giggles when we realised what it must sound like to the outside world. Apparently, where I may be going wrong is that it is all about wrist action, and having a - now how can I put this politely - stiffer and wider application tool - any of you are laughing at this then you are as naughty as we are. Shame on you!!!
    LOL I don't know anything about Gesso, but I certainly am laughing!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (67)
    ROFLMAO !!!!

Well done Kym - let us all know when you get gesso/splodgers etc., into the shop !

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    We had Jane from Rusty Fairy at our local crop demonstrating a similar technique using acrylicsand gesso, she did say that one kind of baby wipe was better than all the rest think it was the h*****s pure kind, my memory is not so good so maybe someone will correct me if this is not right.

View Gallery

So I have my wrist action wrong ????? You are awful !!! But I like you !!!!! YES , I laughed !!!!!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (54)
    yup - I use Huggies
    Blog (warning, here be spoilers!) / Art Journals / Be-Stitched CJ

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (48)
    I still have no idea what Gesso is but I am laughing too