Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (34)

Stamping Advice Please

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on getting better stamped images please. I am O.K with letter stamps for titles etc but, anything more intricate than that, and it just never comes out right.

I have a new stamp and am trying to use it with my Marvy Le Plume pens but each time some of the image disappears. Is the trick to colour in the stamp quicker or to take more time and be super accurate?
    Also I know you should never rock a stamp but how do you get enough weight evenly over a big stamp to get the image even?

I have attached an image which shows the problem I always have in case anyone can see where I'm going wrong.

Thanks
    Emma x
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Emma Jane

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    Try breathing over the stamp after you've coloured it in....sounds odd I know, but it moistens the ink again. And try standing up when stamping, I find it helps.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)
    onmce you've coloured it in breath or huff on it to keep the ink damp then stamp
    Joanne, Scotland
    Likes and Dislikes My Blog

Tunny-Farr, a Maori word for a mythical beastie thing. Taniwha's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    When you've finished colouring the stamp with the pens, do a 'huff' all over it to re-moisten the ink, that should help a bit. And with a big stamp, I actually lay it face up on the bench, ink it all over and then lay my paper or card on top of it. I then rub all over the paper or card with the back of another stamp, to make sure I get even coverage. This will probably take some practice but you'll get the knack of it in the end.

Also, try standing up before you stamp, I find I get better coverage if I am standing than when I'm sitting down.

Hope that helps a little!
    ~~Rachel~~

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (70)
    Same advice as above, plus, your result will never be as good using textured card - try doing it on flat cardstock and see if it's better.
    Swaps:
    CJ's:

So many ideas, so little time .... Mole's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Smoother paper will take the image better than a hammered or rough texture.
    The absorbancy of the paper/card will also make a difference - it's worth experimenting with different stock to see what sort of results you get.
    As the others say, give the coloured in image a good 'huff' just before stamping.
    I always stand up to stamp, too. I'm more likely to get even, firm pressure over the whole image that way.
    Good luck!

Member of the BLUE BRADS and SCRAP & TICKLE teams.
    http://molescreations.blogspot.com/

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Just to add to the excellent advice above - do stamp on a surface with a little 'give', such as a paper pad or magazine. [I find some mousemats are good too, although they vary so much that you'd have to try the ones you have to see which work]. This is particularly important for unmounted stamps which have no built-in cushion, but even traditional wood-mounted stamps can give a better result depending on the stamping surface.

hth
    Eris
    xx

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (34)
    Thanks for all the advice e1 - I would never have thought of huffing on the ink before stamping.
    I do stand up to stamp but I stamp on a hard surface so I will try on a mousemat and see if that helps.

Thank you
    Emma
    Emma Jane

Cover me in Sponge Cake then a layer of Jelly add Fresh Cream and call me a trifle maddy's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (31)
    Always leave one hand in place on the middle of the stamp , and press round all corners of the stamp
    still HRH Maddy